PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know where I can buy/borrow an S&S coupler wrench in Paris?

bitt3n
07-10-2017, 02:11 PM
My wrench went missing while cycle camping, need to undo the couplers by the thirteenth to fit the frame in the case, so a fairly urgent problem...

I could improvise but I fear damaging the coupler.

AngryScientist
07-10-2017, 02:27 PM
any bike shop should have a spanner wrench that should work.

short of that any decent auto shop should have a strap wrench that would also work in a pinch.

bitt3n
07-10-2017, 02:37 PM
any bike shop should have a spanner wrench that should work.

short of that any decent auto shop should have a strap wrench that would also work in a pinch.

Thanks I did find a wrench that did the trick. Luckily the race wrench doesn't torque it too much so it came apart fairly easily.

AngryScientist
07-10-2017, 02:39 PM
great news.

post some pics of your Paris cycling trip when you get back. safe travels!

572cv
07-10-2017, 02:45 PM
Unless you are really lucky, you have to improvise. Find a machine shop or an old auto repair place that might have a tightener like the S&S tool.

This is what you are looking to match. I did a sketch of the tool and measured as best i could the dimensions. The inside of the curve with the hook at one end is marked out at 45 degree intervals. If you have to make something like this, you could use this as a template. At 5mm thick, you might even be able to find a piece of bar stock aluminum at Monsieur Bricolage , fashion a corner with a file and whack at the coupler. the alu won't hurt the steel or ti.

AngryScientist
07-10-2017, 02:48 PM
the OP is all set, but any decent auto parts or hardware store should sell a strap wrench, which should make short work of the couplers.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/41kfJBbWGEL.jpg

bitt3n
07-10-2017, 03:29 PM
Unless you are really lucky, you have to improvise. Find a machine shop or an old auto repair place that might have a tightener like the S&S tool.

This is what you are looking to match. I did a sketch of the tool and measured as best i could the dimensions. The inside of the curve with the hook at one end is marked out at 45 degree intervals. If you have to make something like this, you could use this as a template. At 5mm thick, you might even be able to find a piece of bar stock aluminum at Monsieur Bricolage , fashion a corner with a file and whack at the coupler. the alu won't hurt the steel or ti.

Thanks for the sketch, I did indeed manage to get the couplers loose with a spanner. Luckily they were well lubed and not super tight. I'll post some pics once I get them off my camera. I was cycle camping in the Jura region and ran into the Tour by accident.

happycampyer
07-10-2017, 09:11 PM
Fwiw, I prefer the Hozan lockring wrench for S&S couplers.

bicycletricycle
07-10-2017, 09:29 PM
fwiw, i prefer the hozan lockring wrench for s&s couplers.

+1

07-10-2017, 11:16 PM
+2

carpediemracing
07-11-2017, 06:22 AM
My first thought was "Doesn't DC Rainmaker live there? He must have a set."

Glad you have a workaround.

foo_fighter
07-11-2017, 01:53 PM
Fwiw, I prefer the Hozan lockring wrench for S&S couplers.

Someone should make a set of locking pliers for S and S couplers like Zinn/Salsa did with the Vise Whip. I'd buy it...