PDA

View Full Version : Stripped Bottle Cage Screw Hole

Jeff N.
08-30-2006, 11:29 PM
Got a Kestrel 200 SCi frame for a very attractive price, but I found a stripped bottle cage screw hole on the down tube. All the other 3 are fine, it's just that one. Any of you folks know any tricks of the trade to get a screw to stay put in this one bad hole? It has threads, but any screw I try to use just keeps spinning and won't get/stay snug. Any ideas? Thanks, Jeff N.

columbusslx
08-31-2006, 01:37 AM
Do you like the cage you use? If so, clean the screw, JB weld it up and go!!!

All seriousness, fixing Riv-nuts is not that hard. Drill them out and pop another in and good to go...

Not a show-stopper.

Too Tall
08-31-2006, 06:40 AM
Before you go ape use a 5 mm x .8 mm tap to chase the threads...yah might get lucky.

Dekonick
08-31-2006, 07:25 AM
you can also wrap the screw with lots of teflon tape to give it a larger profile - or use locktite (blue or green, I wouldn't use the red...)

A tap kit can be found for cheap if you don't mind chinese tools (Harbor freight?) - not for industrial use, but fine for home.

DfCas
08-31-2006, 07:37 AM
Are the threads stripped or is the whole rivet turning?
If the rivet is turning,you can tighten it with the rivet tool or make one yourself with a bolt,some washers,and a nut.

Jeff N.
08-31-2006, 08:04 AM
It's not your typical riv-nut. Anyway, what I did was put the cage screw into a large vise and smashed it down some, giving it a larger-than-before profile. I screwed it in and it seems to be holding up OK. So I'll let it be for now. Thanks for your ideas! Jeff N.