PDA

View Full Version : Floor pump recommendation under $75? Mine broke...

PNW
07-08-2017, 11:05 AM
Well, I need a new floor pump...recommendations for one under $75?

R3awak3n
07-08-2017, 11:16 AM
Joe Blow.

I have one and for the price is great. Also have a more expensive Lezyne which I don't particularly cared for, I put a nice hirame pump head and now its pretty great but the hirame head is close to what you want to spend by itself

PNW
07-08-2017, 11:31 AM
Yeah I know you can spend a fortune on a floor pump..haha

nmrt
07-08-2017, 11:44 AM
Both pumps are a bit above your price range. But I have used both and they are just super -- much better than lezyne, bontrager, blackburn, or the specialized ones that I have tried.
1) SKS Airmenius
https://www.ebay.com/p/SKS-Airmenius-Bike-Cycling-Floor-Pump/1328839414
2) Velowurks Prime
https://www.amazon.com/Velowurks-Prime-Floor-Silver-Chrome/dp/B013X85DGG/ref=pd_lpo_vtph_468_tr_t_3?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=3XGP8ZW78E91RN7138Q4

GregL
07-08-2017, 11:59 AM
https://www.topeak.com/global/en/products/floor-pumps/221-joeblow--sport-ii

Inexpensive, rugged, and serviceable. When I asked the mechanic at my LBS which pump they used, this is the one he directed me to. I've had mine so long I can't even remember when it was purchased!

Greg

ofcounsel
07-08-2017, 12:00 PM
I have a Serfas I like. Not fancy, but the digital readout is nice and the price is right:https://www.amazon.com/Serfas-FPD-200-Digital-Gauge-Bicycle/dp/B01GUNW2PG

PNW
07-08-2017, 12:16 PM
Biketiresdirect has the Joe Blow 2 for $42. Not bad!

Bentley
07-08-2017, 12:20 PM
I bought a SKS Rennkompressor that I leave in the car for $30, All in on EBay. To me they are super under recognized. High pressure and volume and basically bulletproof

Ray

Hilltopperny
07-08-2017, 12:32 PM
I use a cheap zefal that can be found in places like Walmart for $25. It's never let me down and I've had it for 5 years.

JasonF
07-08-2017, 01:29 PM
Spend up a bit and get an SKS Airmenius. Construction is robust, the gauge is just plain huge and the pump head is simple and provides a tight seal.

rnhood
07-08-2017, 01:53 PM
Specialized Air Tool Sport is about $40, and its good for the long haul. Basic pump with big meter that works, and works.

Ken Robb
07-08-2017, 01:56 PM
Joe Blow works great, has dual head for both types of valves. When I needed a new washer they were temporarily out of repair kits so they sent me a whole new head. A couple of weeks later they also sent me a rebuild kit. No charge for any of this stuff. How can you beat that kind of customer service?

eddief
07-08-2017, 02:10 PM
work just fine. on the other hand, I have been on bike tours where the leaders have brought a variety of other brands. and i swear others push way more air way faster than the joe. unfortunately i can't quite remember which those were. but maybe the bontrager turbo charger hp?

i will check that one out if i am ever in need of new one.

10% off now for the TDF.

type2sam
07-08-2017, 04:36 PM
This is actually a very good pump:

http://www.nashbar.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10053_10052_551623_-1___

I don't own one, but a friend does. Solid construction. I used it for both my bike and my car tire when I discovered I a flat post-ride and my lug wrench was no match for the torque the tire center guys installed the wheel with. When Nashbar has their next big sale, I'm going to grab one.

ajhapps
07-08-2017, 04:51 PM
+1 on Joe Blow. I've had mine since 2012 and it has never failed.

Cicli
07-08-2017, 04:54 PM
The Joe Blow is a great value. That said, I primarly use a Veloworks with a Silca chuck. Its awesome.

veloduffer
07-08-2017, 04:54 PM
+++1 for Joe Blow.

If you need one for tubeless, the Trek TLR Charger works well - no need for a compressor.

dekindy
07-08-2017, 05:25 PM
Go to Amazon, search for bicycle floor pump in outdoor recreation, rank by customer reviews, take your pick.

http://forums.thepaceline.net/newreply.php?do=newreply&noquote=1&p=2200524

Ken Robb
07-08-2017, 05:30 PM
work just fine. on the other hand, I have been on bike tours where the leaders have brought a variety of other brands. and i swear others push way more air way faster than the joe. unfortunately i can't quite remember which those were. but maybe the bontrager turbo charger hp?

i will check that one out if i am ever in need of new one.

10% off now for the TDF.
I think a pump that moves a lot of air per stroke will get quite hard to pump at higher inflation pressure. It will be like riding in the big ring-small cog. :-)

PNW
07-08-2017, 05:31 PM
The Joe Blow has great reviews and is an awesome price. I'll roll with that one!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

biker72
07-08-2017, 05:33 PM
Specialized Air Tool Sport is about $40, and its good for the long haul. Basic pump with big meter that works, and works.

+1
Never had a problem with mine.

hokoman
07-08-2017, 05:33 PM
SKS Airmenius - great pump if you are tall. This pump sits really tall. I ordered one becauae I was curious after reading about it here, and I only pull up the handle half way before going back down. PNW, we are about the same height based on your Moots purchase.

eddief
07-08-2017, 06:14 PM
https://www.specialized.com/us/en/accessories/air-tool-hp-floor-pump/117280

rnhood
07-08-2017, 07:38 PM
https://www.specialized.com/us/en/accessories/air-tool-hp-floor-pump/117280

No. If you read the description, it takes 30% less effort for a given pressure. Merely a case of the cylinder and piston being about 10% larger than in a typical pump.

R3awak3n
07-08-2017, 09:46 PM
Just as I was talking crap about my lezyne, was just pumping a tire and the pressure gage exploded. The clear plastic flew out and air atarted eacaping through the cage. What s POS.

How is lezyne customer service?

sales guy
07-08-2017, 09:57 PM
Just as I was talking crap about my lezyne, was just pumping a tire and the pressure gage exploded. The clear plastic flew out and air atarted eacaping through the cage. What s POS.

It's excellent! Especially if you want me to send you one! I have like a dozen left here. Send me a picture of yours and I can send you one.

berserk87
07-08-2017, 10:00 PM
I don't know the price offhand, but I would recommend checking into Blackburn. They have a lifetime warranty. I bought one about 18 years ago, and it has been replaced twice due to breakage, free of charge by Blackburn.

xjoex
07-08-2017, 10:18 PM
Been very happy with my Joe Blow
https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-ap9_KjHkOPc/V7aJeb4FZ_I/AAAAAAAAaRM/XQ9QbpBswiUuI-SMUR-WIW9Nwi3I0pWmACLcB/s800/P8170173.jpg

PNW
07-08-2017, 10:19 PM
Been very happy with my Joe Blow

https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-ap9_KjHkOPc/V7aJeb4FZ_I/AAAAAAAAaRM/XQ9QbpBswiUuI-SMUR-WIW9Nwi3I0pWmACLcB/s800/P8170173.jpg

Is that the Joe Blow II?

PNW
07-09-2017, 12:07 AM
Well. Topeak's warranty is not that great but Blackburn has a lifetime warranty..that changes things a bit! The Blackburn Piston 3 Floor Pump looks good.

fogrider
07-09-2017, 12:48 AM
I was just at my LBS and this is what was sitting there in the service area, I was surprised that it just took 3 strokes to fill my tire!

https://www.topeak.com/global/en/products/floor-pumps/221-joeblow--sport-ii

Inexpensive, rugged, and serviceable. When I asked the mechanic at my LBS which pump they used, this is the one he directed me to. I've had mine so long I can't even remember when it was purchased!

Greg

mcteague
07-09-2017, 06:18 AM
I had never heard of Birzman pumps before I came across this one. Its a bit over your $75 limit, but not much. I am really impressed with it so far. The names are really stupid though!

http://www.artscyclery.com/Birzman_Maha_Apogee_III_Floor_Pump/descpage-BZTTFP4GY.html

Tim

saab2000
07-09-2017, 06:21 AM
SKS Rennkompressor

Cicli
07-09-2017, 06:29 AM

Its great. The pump is still a piece of crap even after all the replacement stuff they send you. It is consistant, consistant junk.

saab2000
07-09-2017, 06:32 AM
I have a Lezyne floor pump and I replaced the head with a Silca. It's been good, but I don't think I'd get another.

I've got a couple of the SKS Rennkompressors in service, though branded with other names. They're ubiquitous. My old ZĂ©fal Husky is an SKS and my Gerber branded pump from the Swiss mail order shop is also an SKS. They last forever.

earlfoss
07-09-2017, 07:19 AM
I have a Bontrager Turbocharger HP that has worked great for ~4 years now. $65 is the usual price I see.

smontanaro
07-09-2017, 07:45 AM
I had a Joe Blow for years, gave it to my son. I have his Park which came to me chuckless. I bought a Silca head for it.

All that said, I see that Bike Tires Direct has 15% off sale on pumps, which appears to include a Joe Blow and a Park:

https://www.biketiresdirect.com/search?sale=pump0709&ecn=ec1f0d74c107a3a8cc2fb2b37adb9746&ln=16405225&utm_source=BTD+2.0&utm_campaign=257dfaf69f-BTD_070917_pub_off0709_shm0709_pump0709_rcsk0709&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_bcabc9a71b-257dfaf69f-72763361

berserk87
07-09-2017, 11:34 AM
Well. Topeak's warranty is not that great but Blackburn has a lifetime warranty..that changes things a bit! The Blackburn Piston 3 Floor Pump looks good.

I think mine is a Piston 4 - it's whatever they replaced my last one with. Like I said, Blackburn's warranty is the cat's meow. I'm on my third pump with them in 18 years, all for actually buying only one. They work great and with the use I get out of them, I have been pleased.

Fatty
07-09-2017, 12:22 PM
For seventy and five dollars you can buy three Joe blow sport pumps, a twelve pack of cheap beer and a decent beef sandwich.

PNW
07-09-2017, 01:50 PM
For seventy and five dollars you can buy three Joe blow sport pumps, a twelve pack of cheap beer and a decent beef sandwich.

Love this! They are about $42 for what I'm seeing. It's my birthday today so I'll be drinking some beer. :beer:

Polyglot
07-09-2017, 01:58 PM
I too have an SKS pump with a Silca head- I bought it thirty years ago in Germany and it has never let me down and the gauge is very accurate.

PNW
07-09-2017, 02:33 PM
What's the difference between the SKS Rennkompressor and Airmenius?

saab2000
07-09-2017, 02:38 PM
What's the difference between the SKS Rennkompressor and Airmenius?

I think the Rennkompressor is just the classic, old fashioned pump and the Airmenius is the updated version with a new handle and huge gauge. I don't know of any mechanical differences.

PNW
07-09-2017, 02:39 PM
I think the Rennkompressor is just the classic, old fashioned pump and the Airmenius is the updated version with a new handle and huge gauge. I don't know of any mechanical differences.

The Rennkompressor goes to a higher PSI I noticed. It's gauge seems more than large enough and the price is about half! Not sure if the Airmenius is worth spending more $$?

saab2000
07-09-2017, 02:45 PM
The Rennkompressor goes to a higher PSI I noticed. It's gauge seems more than large enough and the price is about half! Not sure if the Airmenius is worth spending more $$?

I'd say no, considering many folks have used the Rennkompressor for years with no issue.

My only recommendation are that if you have the head like comes with the Silca, which just fits over the valve that you use smooth valves, like Michelin. The rubber gasket will quickly shred if you push it on over threaded valves. This is true of any of that style of pump.

The Renncompressors aren't fancy and don't sell for the exaggerated prices of the Silca, but they're essentially the same thing.

PNW
07-09-2017, 02:47 PM
I'd say no, considering many folks have used the Rennkompressor for years with no issue.

My only recommendation are that if you have the head like comes with the Silca, which just fits over the valve that you use smooth valves, like Michelin. The rubber gasket will quickly shred if you push it on over threaded valves. This is true of any of that style of pump.

The Renncompressors aren't fancy and don't sell for the exaggerated prices of the Silca, but they're essentially the same thing.

Where's the best place to buy that head attachment for a good price?

saab2000
07-09-2017, 02:50 PM
Where's the best place to buy that head attachment for a good price?

I don't know, but Silca themselves sell their pump head and it's only about $35. I have one on my Lezyne. It's a high quality piece.

The Silca pumps are very expensive but I think they're also really nice. So I won't badmouth them.

I don't know what kind of pump head or chuck the SKS Rennkompressor comes with, but it's probably perfectly functional. Mine are all a bit different as they came from different sources. I like that I can do Schrader and Presta valves with some of them.

Fatty
07-09-2017, 05:10 PM
Love this! They are about $42 for what I'm seeing. It's my birthday today so I'll be drinking some beer. :beer:

I gave $19 for mine. Some special price on Amazon. Wasn't expecting much but turned out to be quite a nice pump.

sales guy
07-09-2017, 07:54 PM
Its great. The pump is still a piece of crap even after all the replacement stuff they send you. It is consistant, consistant junk.

I don't what you did to yours, but mine have been excellent and I've never had to replace a single thing. Mine(3 of them) are 5 years old.

bikinchris
07-09-2017, 08:00 PM
Go out of your budget and get the Arimenius. Really. Do it.

Okay, if you won't do that, get the Pedro's Super Prestige.

buddybikes
07-09-2017, 08:01 PM
19.99 diamond back one from Nashbar. Works great toss it in 4 years, 5.00 year aint bad

PNW
07-09-2017, 08:06 PM
Go out of your budget and get the Arimenius. Really. Do it.

Okay, if you won't do that, get the Pedro's Super Prestige.

How is it that much better than the Rennkompressor? Twice the $$.

bikinchris
07-09-2017, 08:10 PM
How is it that much better than the Rennkompressor? Twice the $$.

The design is great, and if you are like me, being able to see the detail in the (great big) gauge is great. With said gauge, the foot is much larger also, which makes it more stable. This is especially important if you are pumping on something other than pavement.

Both the Airmenius and the Super Prestige pumps will take a lickin' and keep on ticking too. I have described how I used them for multi day ride support and the riders broke many other unnamed pumps and the two pumps I named held up great along with the old Silca pumps.

Also, all the trash talk about Silca? I have at least one Silca pump that is nearly 40 years old.

pdmtong
07-10-2017, 01:55 AM
I think mine is a Piston 4 - it's whatever they replaced my last one with. Like I said, Blackburn's warranty is the cat's meow. I'm on my third pump with them in 18 years, all for actually buying only one. They work great and with the use I get out of them, I have been pleased.
^ this. had a few that failed unexpectedly...Blackburn customer service quite excellent - last time I asked if my road pump that croaked could be replaced with the mtb chamber HV. the latest design is really good...huge gauge, easy stroke, nice head. so piston 4 by implication should be great too. people here rave about the SKS but if I dont need to spend incremental dollars, why would/should I?
The design is great, and if you are like me, being able to see the detail in the (great big) gauge is great. With said gauge, the foot is much larger also, which makes it more stable. This is especially important if you are pumping on something other than pavement.

Both the Airmenius and the Super Prestige pumps will take a lickin' and keep on ticking too. I have described how I used them for multi day ride support and the riders broke many other unnamed pumps and the two pumps I named held up great along with the old Silca pumps.

Also, all the trash talk about Silca? I have at least one Silca pump that is nearly 40 years old.
I like so many others had one of the "old silca pumps"...in fact I "upgraded" to the wood handle. so what. I'd take one of the current pumps over the old silca.