PDA

View Full Version : stages podcast

fogrider
07-07-2017, 10:34 PM
anyone else out there listening to this? I was really surprised, Lance is really good on this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IO-4C-vF7Dc

R3awak3n
07-07-2017, 10:50 PM
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=207225

I have been listening. His dickish personality works great on the podcast and he has been right a lot :eek:

ultraman6970
07-08-2017, 12:24 AM
HIs comments are way better than phill's :D

sfscott
07-08-2017, 02:08 AM
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=207225

I have been listening. His dickish personality works great on the podcast and he has been right a lot :eek:

Don't think he's been dickish at all. Not even terribly opinionated except on topic of need for a riders' union and poor pay for the Peloton. Oh yeah. That and Sagan getting screwed

Louis
07-08-2017, 05:15 AM
How much longer until Lance is named DT of some cycling team that has a shot a participating in one of the major tours? :eek:

oldpotatoe
07-08-2017, 07:34 AM
How much longer until Lance is named DT of some cycling team that has a shot a participating in one of the major tours? :eek:

Banned for life right now..in any capacity so...not soon.

R3awak3n
07-08-2017, 08:14 AM
Don't think he's been dickish at all. Not even terribly opinionated except on topic of need for a riders' union and poor pay for the Peloton. Oh yeah. That and Sagan getting screwed

I don't think dickish was the right word. But its Lance being Lance which is usually annoying but for this sort of thing, it works quite well.

ColonelJLloyd
07-08-2017, 08:21 PM
Stage 9 podcast is to be broadcast from Vecchio's. We expect some inside-baseball reporting from Old Potatoe.

bicycletricycle
07-08-2017, 08:23 PM
I like

Jgrooms
07-08-2017, 08:43 PM
Dude just looks old. Looks like he's training & not sleeping or partying & not sleeping.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fogrider
07-09-2017, 12:12 AM
pretty funny that he's complaining about how the prize money for the TDF hasn't changed since he was in the sport...maybe because so many sponsors pulled out because of the widespread doping.

sfscott
07-09-2017, 12:48 AM
Seems like all the sponsors are still there. And like all sports, money comes from TV

ASO is rolling in money.

bicycletricycle
07-09-2017, 12:49 AM
On one of the days they talked a little about the business of cycling and the problems with funding and pay. I would be interested to here more of what he has to say.

pretty funny that he's complaining about how the prize money for the TDF hasn't changed since he was in the sport...maybe because so many sponsors pulled out because of the widespread doping.

wai2fast
07-09-2017, 06:20 AM
I'm definitely digging his unfiltered POV on the TdF. Great to get his angle on tactics and all things cycling related that the major networks/outlets can't cover.

adub
07-09-2017, 10:29 AM
Best commentary on the Tour, and on pro cycling in general, IMO.

pcxmbfj
07-09-2017, 10:43 AM

Agree.

alastairb
07-09-2017, 02:58 PM
Also pleasantly surprised!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

weisan
07-09-2017, 03:36 PM

weisan
07-09-2017, 03:44 PM

fogrider
07-09-2017, 04:01 PM

just listening now, cool. great breakdown of the stage!

dmurphey
07-09-2017, 08:05 PM
Lance is pretentious, still a dick, but interesting. I like the bike banter of the Stages podcast.

oldpotatoe
07-10-2017, 07:10 AM

It happened! Was just a rumor..supposed to be today as well..rest day.

sw3759
07-10-2017, 07:20 AM
what little bits I've listened too has been pretty entertaining.agreed its worth a listen no matter what you think of past antics..
maybe oldpotatoe can sit in and ask about past regrets,like never using Campy or never racing P-R ;)

oldpotatoe
07-10-2017, 07:26 AM
what little bits I've listened too has been pretty entertaining.agreed its worth a listen no matter what you think of past antics..
maybe oldpotatoe can sit in and ask about past regrets,like never using Campy or never racing P-R ;)

Gotta manny girlies today so no soap...doubt I'd ask him anything...:D

tctyres
07-10-2017, 07:46 AM
He went off on stage 9 pretty hardcore. He's definitely a bully and full of himself but he's fun to listen to. He has an Insider's view of the race (that he never won:no:)

oldpotatoe
07-10-2017, 08:04 AM
He went off on stage 9 pretty hardcore. He's definitely a bully and full of himself but he's fun to listen to. He has an Insider's view of the race (that he never won:no:)

About Aru? Funny that if yellow jersey has a mechanical, no attack but if number 2/3/4 in GC had one, nobody would yell about them being attacked.

weisan
07-10-2017, 08:05 AM
Is that your "orange MXL" back there, old pal?

Johnnyg
07-10-2017, 08:28 AM

Won 7

dancinkozmo
07-10-2017, 08:31 AM

describing how much EPO he had to ingest each day during his 7

http://forums.thepaceline.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=1697942641&stc=1&d=1499632597

cmg
07-10-2017, 08:45 AM
his discussion on the gearing for stage 9 was amusing and accurate. a 38-32 would have been the ridicule of the day but today whatever it takes to spin up a climb. Also, the criticism of the commentators agreeing that ARU's attack was justified was on point. The closing shot of the ball cap was perfect. I like from a riders point of view, it's accurate.

tctyres
07-10-2017, 09:00 AM
About Aru? Funny that if yellow jersey has a mechanical, no attack but if number 2/3/4 in GC had one, nobody would yell about them being attacked.

Everything: gearing to the course to the time cut off at the end

tctyres
07-10-2017, 09:01 AM
Won 7

Go ahead and argue that.

ultraman6970
07-10-2017, 09:03 AM
It is like politicians, they need to give a little bit to the press so the things goes out of proportions really quick. contador and quintana got a problem and nobody cared.. in a matter of fact they should have waited for martin but that was not going to happen, by the opposite they pulled more than ever to get rid off of him, I dont blame them for doing it.

So Froome gave the press something to talk about and honestly I was Aru I would have been pissed and would have not pulled a single turn after what happened, so now Aru is the bad guy as happened with contador vs As years back and in that occasion Contador attacked and AS desperate for shifting he got the chain off, but he cried and made the other guy look bad. Same year AS complained about going down hill in the wet and fast...probably the biggest and most loved crying baby of the whole peloton ever.

Yeah back in the day was straight blocks 13 - 19 (7 speed) or 13 - 17 or anything in that nature, going uphill tops guys were going to use like a 22... but you have to consider how strong this guys are aswell, to go as fast as they do is hard to go with a gearing so little in the mountains, the problem is that gets too light and is hard to spin it and at the end you choke and then you die, as we used to say when I was racing "you eat yourself alive due to the spinning," So it is really impressive to see crazy legs froome to pull up something like that.. 100 + rpms going uphill and for a long time, as lance said... hard to see but works!.

:)

William
07-10-2017, 09:59 AM

I'll be honest, imo he was a world class A-hole who ran one of the longer running lies in sports history. Stepped on a lot of people's throats in the process and collected a lot of money doing it.

That said, his insight and commentary in the podcasts about the Tour is actually very interesting. I'm finding it more interesting than the other pundits out there pontificating on the race. His wins may have been nullified, but he still raced every one of them so he has a lot of experience in the trenches that many others do not.

I feel a little dirty watching them...but I'm watching them. :)

William

denapista
07-10-2017, 10:05 AM

This is why the "Quiet" rule needs to be removed. As a team, you're responsible for all aspects of the race even down to a mechanical failure. If you have working equipment, or failing equipment it comes down to your team. This is racing. You think Vettel is going to wait for Hamilton to repair a puncture in the pits, to give him a fair race? That "Respect the yellow" rule blows. Let the guy sitting 12 seconds back from GC get a puncture, SKY will put on the gas. It's happened before.

LA is a smug prick, but no one other than him obsessed over racing at the detail he did. His insight on racing is top notch. I love his commentary on the sport, but he'll never get to the big shows because his arrogance just spills from his pores. It's weird to watch him be so smug, but so insightful at the same time. "Uran hasn't won anything since my child was born!"

tctyres
07-10-2017, 02:06 PM
I feel a little dirty watching them...but I'm watching them. :)

I am with you. I do feel like I need to wash after those podcasts.

I watched once, and then I went to the sound version. There's nothing I need to see about him sitting in front of the microphone.

unterhausen
07-10-2017, 03:10 PM
They did wait for Lance one tour, and he paid them back by attacking them immediately after rejoining.

Anyway, I don't mind watching him, but I'm not sure I'm going to do it any more. It's a little slow. Going on and on about a 32 tooth cassette was about my limit. Using lower gears is one thing that indicates potential drug use to me, it taxes your heart more than your legs.

oldpotatoe
07-10-2017, 03:14 PM
This is why the "Quiet" rule needs to be removed. As a team, you're responsible for all aspects of the race even down to a mechanical failure. If you have working equipment, or failing equipment it comes down to your team. This is racing. You think Vettel is going to wait for Hamilton to repair a puncture in the pits, to give him a fair race? That "Respect the yellow" rule blows. Let the guy sitting 12 seconds back from GC get a puncture, SKY will put on the gas. It's happened before.

LA is a smug prick, but no one other than him obsessed over racing at the detail he did. His insight on racing is top notch. I love his commentary on the sport, but he'll never get to the big shows because his arrogance just spills from his pores. It's weird to watch him be so smug, but so insightful at the same time. "Uran hasn't won anything since my child was born!"

Can't be 'removed' cuz it's not a 'rule'. Aru attacked when Froome punctured. If Aru had won the jersey, he'd be wearing it now...and listen to people whine about him 'not respecting the jersey', but he would still be in yellow.

Black Dog
07-10-2017, 03:26 PM
Can't be 'removed' cuz it's not a 'rule'. Aru attacked when Froome punctured. If Aru had won the jersey, he'd be wearing it now...and listen to people whine about him 'not respecting the jersey', but he would still be in yellow.

This. The rule is stupid because it only applies to the race leader. Like was said here, if it was second place that punctured sky would ride fast and hard and think nothing of it. You should wait for any contender or no one at all. Rewarding the leader who all ready has the advantage while not doing so for those that do not is a silly double standard. Personally I think that they should show some sportsmanship and not take full advantage of stuff like this among the leaders but there will always be grey areas etc...

sfscott
07-10-2017, 03:37 PM

I'm having a rough time spotting the so called arrogance. I listen everyday, and he is very willing to say that he doesn't know the sport as well these days and never knew certain aspects, like sprinting, well. WRT sprinting, he openly admitted that he would be afraid riding in bunch sprints.

Is he opinionated? Sure. But that's what makes the podcast interesting. Especially since his opinions are actually informed. Observations on the route, individual stages and team tactics have been quite good.

But the general sentiment here is that Lance is and always will be an a-hole, so we must dismiss anything he says as il-informed, self-serving and not as valid as the opinions of arm chair riders everywhere.

It's entirely reasonable to be cynical about most things. So any new version of Lance is easy pickings for the assumption that he's found a new way to scam us. Could be. Other than 20 seconds in a meet and greet 17 years ago, I never met the man.

But listening to this and his other pod casts, other interviews and stories, I think the only things I can say with certainty is that he is a smart guy, he's complicated and greatly affected by his life's events. I don't know if or to what degree he is a changed man, but that doesn't make him any less interesting or his insight less valuable.

If his second act is as a commentator, talk show host or entertainer, then rule 1 is to be memorable and opinionated.

And bans from the sport notwithstanding, I bet he'd get more out of pro tour teams as a coach or DS than many people in the business.

In an era where everyone doped (or doped and didn't get caught) he and his team were dominant, tactically sound and well organized. That isn't all drugs or intimidation. It's preparing, thinking, drilling and competing.

KJMUNC
07-10-2017, 03:51 PM
I'm having a rough time spotting the so called arrogance. I listen everyday, and he is very willing to say that he doesn't know the sport as well these days and never knew certain aspects, like sprinting, well. WRT sprinting, he openly admitted that he would be afraid riding in bunch sprints.

Is he opinionated? Sure. But that's what makes the podcast interesting. Especially since his opinions are actually informed. Observations on the route, individual stages and team tactics have been quite good.

+1 on this.....if you had no preconceived notions about the guy I don't see how you could say he's being arrogant or a bully.

I find his commentary way more insightful than anything else out there right now, and it's really him and JB bantering back and forth about topics related to the race, not a pure re-hash of the stage.

Case in point: his dialog around the hypocrisy of not inviting Ulrich to the start was interesting, as was the story of Jan coming to speak at the Tour party. Better that listening to Phil call Nicholas Roche or Taylor Phinney by their respective fathers' names.

tctyres
07-10-2017, 08:42 PM
^ I don't see how any one posting here does not have a preconceived notion. He's such a large personality in road cycling that everyone has heard of him.

But, yeah, I definitely agree that he has things to say from racing that just aren't available otherwise.

fogrider
07-10-2017, 10:04 PM
They did wait for Lance one tour, and he paid them back by attacking them immediately after rejoining.

Anyway, I don't mind watching him, but I'm not sure I'm going to do it anymore. It's a little slow. Going on and on about a 32 tooth cassette was about my limit. Using lower gears is one thing that indicates potential drug use to me, it taxes your heart more than your legs.

Haha! it seems like that's all I hear in my group of weekend buddies as we get older! anyways, Lance is who he is. and as others have said, just about everyone was cheating. I have been very disappointed with Lance and all that he did, and at this point, you can choose not to watch/listen, but his insight here is definitely better than anything else out there.