PDA

View Full Version : Is there anything lovelier than...

rousseau
07-07-2017, 04:10 PM
...a freshly cleaned and lubed drivetrain?

http://i.imgur.com/K2BulYx.jpg

Behold how it shines, nay sparkles in the light of the afternoon sun through the window of your humble correspondent's shed. The aluminum frame may be too far gone to get perfectly clean, but I can always bring out a silvery sheen to the chain and cogs. Some of my rides involve short stretches on dusty gravel roads, so the bike is never going to be a showroom looker.

A delightfully warm summer afternoon spent cleaning the drivetrain and anticipating that evening's ride to beat the sunset is as close to nirvana as it gets above ground, as far as I'm concerned. Pure bliss, t'is.

(I'm also really pleased with that toolbox in the background I got a few years ago for a song. There's always somebody selling them used. Three of those trays are nothing but bike tools and parts. Just thinking of them sitting there makes me happy.)

Tickdoc
07-07-2017, 04:26 PM
I can think of a few things that are lovelier to my eye, but that does look nice!

makoti
07-07-2017, 04:31 PM
My knees hurt just looking at that freewheel...

dustyrider
07-07-2017, 04:33 PM
Please tell me that's some kind of paint fade effect on those stays and not greasy fingerprints! :fight:

azrider
07-07-2017, 04:42 PM
Please tell me that's some kind of paint fade effect on those stays and not greasy fingerprints! :fight:

My OCD went straight to those smudge marks as well :D

rousseau
07-07-2017, 04:51 PM
My knees hurt just looking at that freewheel...

Eh? That's a 25T cog for my smallest gear, namely 39-25. Good enough for the short, steep hills around here.

They're not fingerprints, that's just grease. I've tried to remove it with my citrus degreaser and a rag, but no go. The frame is fourteen years old and is impossible to get clean.

dustyrider
07-07-2017, 04:53 PM
Some grease is tougher than others.
I'm the one with the problem not you or the bike!;)

rnhood
07-07-2017, 06:38 PM
The only thing that comes immediately to mind is a brand new chain on a new cassette. :)

rousseau
07-07-2017, 08:16 PM
The only thing that comes immediately to mind is a brand new chain on a new cassette. :)
Which I have sitting on the shelf, waiting for Replacement Day.

Though, philosophically, one might argue that the satisfaction of scrubbing up the drivetrain yourself adds to the aesthetic appreciation, making it all the more pleasing in a way that no brand speaking new cassette and cog can match.

I'm just back in from my ride, and I daresay I felt a little faster out there than normal. Maybe I gave so much love to my drivetrain that it gave a little back to me out on the road.

galgal
07-07-2017, 08:58 PM
@Rosseau. I'm thinking you love the opening scene of A Sunday in Hell, or would if you haven't seen it. I always remember the soundtrack of that scene. A freshly cleaned drive train doesn't just shine, it has that particular sound that accompanies you throughout the ride

wc1934
07-07-2017, 09:05 PM
...a freshly cleaned and lubed drivetrain?

What did you use to clean it - what lube will you apply?

rousseau
07-07-2017, 09:45 PM
@Rosseau. I'm thinking you love the opening scene of A Sunday in Hell, or would if you haven't seen it. I always remember the soundtrack of that scene. A freshly cleaned drive train doesn't just shine, it has that particular sound that accompanies you throughout the ride
Yep. A classic! And thanks for the reminder, I just went and watched it again. Music to the ears, that is.

What did you use to clean it - what lube will you apply?

Park citrus degreaser in the Park chain cleaner. It's messy, but it does the trick.

http://i.imgur.com/JoviWev.jpg

And ProLink chain lube.

http://i.imgur.com/AeP1DmH.jpg

Seems to work for me.