PDA

View Full Version : Carbon handlebar experience

Bruce K
04-15-2004, 07:16 AM
I know I have been a big proponent of the 3ttt Prima 199 bars here on the forum and on my bikes and I really do like them, but...

The other day, 2 carbon handlebars caught my attention and I was wondering if anyone has ridden them and what their impressions were.

They are:

1. Modolo KX Curvissima
2. FSA K-Wing

I know the Curvissimas come in both standard and OS sizes while the FSA are OS only.

The FSA's are not the lightest (about 20% heavier than the 3ttt's or the Modolos) and I was curious about how comfortable the bends were on the Modolos.

Just wondering for now.....

BK

Jeff N.
04-15-2004, 08:19 AM
The only experience I have with carbon bars is with the Easton EA-90. Before I had it even tight enough on the stem to prevent movement, it cracked like a toothpick. My LBS kindly gave me a refund. That incident left a very bad taste in my mouth for anything carbon except forks. Jeff N.

Birddog
04-15-2004, 08:28 AM
I can't tell you about the carbon version, but the aluminum version of the Curvissima has a reach of about 95 and a drop of about 145. A little too much both ways for me. I looked but couldn't find the mfgs specs. I'm pretty sure my measurements are correct though. I do like the shape other than that.

Birddog

zap
04-15-2004, 09:31 AM
Check excelsports.com for h-bar reach & drop specs.

Bruce K
04-15-2004, 09:33 AM
Reach and drop are not the issues as they are very similar to the 3ttt 199's.

I am more interested on comfort, durability, and in the case of the Curvissima soecufucally how it feels to ride them with the sweeping upper corner and if your levers can be raised high enough.

BK