PDA

View Full Version : New Cross frame for me? OX platinum?

shinomaster
08-30-2006, 02:19 PM
As much as I would like to get the new Serotta cross frame, I simply just don't have the trust fund to sponsor such a purchase right now. I have wanted a bike to replace the ol' pos. Fuji for a while. I just don't like it. I need a bike that is smoother over the bumps, as our races seem to be so very rough, and this is one of the most fatiging parts of the race for me, as i'm a lightweight rider. I was looking at the Poprod frames (last years to be exact) It has a long enough top tube and a standover height to fit my legs. I have always heard good things about these, and the 05 model was supposed to be better with the OX Platinum tubes. Do any of you own or race one of these? I would likely get a used one or a web special. Any feedback would be swell!

crossjunkee
08-30-2006, 02:28 PM
I wouldn't trade my steel Strong for anything. But of all the off the shelf bikes, the Lemond would win hands down.

Also check out Torelli's at Schwab (my local shop of choice). I don't know what size you ride, but Schwab still has a 56cm available. They had a 58cm last week, but it might be gone. If you call, ask for Jim, he's a great guy. Tell him Tony sent you.

http://www.schwabcycles.com/Qstore/Qstore.cgi?CMD=011&PROD=1110555416

stevep
08-30-2006, 05:38 PM
that is a very suitable cross bike for not a lot of money. go for it.

chrisroph
08-30-2006, 06:56 PM
I almost bought a poprad a couple of years ago but I couldn't get past the junky parts. I bought a crossroads instead and installed misc campy parts. The lemond looks to have some nice geo.

znfdl
08-30-2006, 07:52 PM
I commute on a Lemond Propad and really like the bike.

coylifut
08-30-2006, 08:04 PM
my kelly is ox platnum, nice ride

chakatrain
08-30-2006, 09:28 PM
I'm riding a Gunnar Crosshairs as a commute bike (10 mi each direction, mostly flat with a few hills). I put knobbies on it and rode around Golden Gate Park in SF a weekends ago and had a blast. It's heavy, but feels solid enough. I'd buy another.

zank
08-30-2006, 11:33 PM
I rode a Poprad at Interbike out on the MTB course. Very nice ride. It's fun passing guys on mountain bikes on the rocky decents on a cross bike. Everyone I know who has one seems to really like it.

rpm
08-31-2006, 10:04 AM
Carl Strong is currently building me a dirt road bike. For what it's worth, he's using OX Platinum for the top and down tubes, just as he does on his cross bikes, because he says it's especially hard and dent-resistant.

Redturbo
08-31-2006, 10:45 AM
Shino
Maybe something from Kellys close out will fit you.

http://www.kellybike.com/2nd_rr_gobsale.html

turbo

edit. no cross bikes left sorry

Marcusaurelius
08-31-2006, 11:05 AM
As much as I would like to get the new Serotta cross frame, I simply just don't have the trust fund to sponsor such a purchase right now. I have wanted a bike to replace the ol' pos. Fuji for a while. I just don't like it. I need a bike that is smoother over the bumps, as our races seem to be so very rough, and this is one of the most fatiging parts of the race for me, as i'm a lightweight rider. I was looking at the Poprod frames (last years to be exact) It has a long enough top tube and a standover height to fit my legs. I have always heard good things about these, and the 05 model was supposed to be better with the OX Platinum tubes. Do any of you own or race one of these? I would likely get a used one or a web special. Any feedback would be swell!

I've been using a poprad for the last years as a city commuter bike and it's a great riding bike. I have the reynolds 853 version but my touring bike is made of true temper OX platinum and the ride is similiar.

shinomaster
08-31-2006, 11:10 AM
A kelly would be cool, but I think the Poprad would fit me better. Plus Greg Lemond is my Hero. IMHO

alembical
08-31-2006, 12:27 PM
I think the Poprad is a great bike that you can't go wrong with. Re: the Platinum OX tubing, that is what my cross bike is made with, but other than that, I don't know much. My cross bike rides nice and smooth and is surprisingly light weight.. I guess how much is attributable to the actual tubing is up for debate.

Alembical

chakatrain
08-31-2006, 08:46 PM
Just looked up the tubing details on Gunnar's web site. Here is what they say about the tubing used for the Crosshairs:

"Waterford exclusive OS2 butted tube sets, featuring True Temper OX Platinum air-hardening steel alloys, custom drawn to our rigorous specs. New asymmetrical D section chainstays provide rigidity along with generous chainring and tire clearance."