PDA

View Full Version : dynamo alternative

Tickdoc
07-06-2017, 09:31 AM
interesting concept:

https://www.magniclight.com/en/

gdw
07-06-2017, 10:10 AM
Interesting concept. A friend tried their product a few years ago when they were
looking for funding on Kickstarter. He intended to use it for the Tour Divide but chose to use a different system after testing it. He felt the mounting system needed a lot of work and that the product wasn't reliable enough to risk using in the race. Hopefully the latest version has been been dramatically improved.

kevinvc
07-06-2017, 10:18 AM
I've got a set from their last Kickstarter. The lights work well, but, as was mentioned above, the mounting was not good. I have caliper brakes on the bike I'm using and getting the lights close enough to get a strong charge, but not rubbing, is a challenge.

I want to try them on another bike with disc brakes, but the manufacturer sells the mounts for $10 per light. It's a 3 light set and I don't want to pay that much just to see if they work. I'm going to see if I can figure out a mount using old tubes and zip ties.

Anarchist
07-06-2017, 12:07 PM
Given that the manual says that the product is supplementary lighting and not to be used as only light source I am not sure it is an "alternative"