PDA

View Full Version : Not OT: so Photobucket just killed 3rd party image hosting?

DRZRM
07-06-2017, 12:12 AM
So all my images seem to be gone (from my end anyway) and Photobucket is suggesting that a $399 annual account is required to continue 3rd party hosting. I figure there are a lot of dead links up suddenly...or was it only me using Photobucket? Any other companies hosting images one can link to?

ofcounsel
07-06-2017, 12:58 AM
Just noticed this with my photobucket account as well. I'll be looking to move on and open to suggestions.

vqdriver
07-06-2017, 03:50 AM
Well..... that sucks
I guess ill be moving on. Even if its a pay site it wont be photobucket

https://www.digitaltrends.com/web/photobucket-angers-users/amp/

smontanaro
07-06-2017, 04:43 AM
Flickr, Google Photos, Ipernity, Imgur... If you are a Mac person, I wouldn't be surprised if you could do something in iCloud. There are several choices.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

SlowPokePete
07-06-2017, 05:40 AM
I started having to pay a year or two ago...not $399/year. that's for sure.

Can't remember how much...maybe 40/year?

I have a lot of images linked, not sure what to do.

Feeling boxed in by this!

SPP

Likes2ridefar
07-06-2017, 05:57 AM
I got tired of the slow photobucket site and terrible apps so looked for a solution a few months ago. I got SmugMug. It's way better in every way and met my major requirement of posting images on forums easily.

54ny77
07-06-2017, 06:06 AM
I just noticed that as well. Could someone point out how to use google images?

AngryScientist
07-06-2017, 06:09 AM
wow. 400 bucks/year is a big ask when there are other free options available. i never liked the photobucket interface myself either, too clunky IMO.

tuscanyswe
07-06-2017, 06:20 AM
FLICKR all the way. Great n Free!

R3awak3n
07-06-2017, 06:40 AM
photobucked just lost a lot of their clients thats for sure. Had they done like $20 a year, even $50, some people would probably stick around because of the hassle of moving pictures. But $400? Also people are pissed because there was no announcement, they just said, we are changing our policy. Next day everything was broken.

Goodby photobucket.

AngryScientist
07-06-2017, 06:47 AM
what ridiculously bad PR for them too. there are now thousands of broken picture links all over the internet that serve as a banner for how photobucket is trying to screw its customers.

William
07-06-2017, 08:01 AM
Hmmmm...

Remember when the internet was free?

William
07-06-2017, 08:05 AM
If you are going to post up images of your rides I would highly suggest uploading them to the forum. Links will sooner or later be broken and be lost to the internet ether forever.

William

54ny77
07-06-2017, 08:58 AM
The problem I just found is that images have to be a certain size when uploading here. I tried uploading direct to the forum but the photo got booted back. It was 4MB. I dunno how to resize and am too lazy to spend more time than the keystrokes involved in copying & pasting a link to a 3rd party service. However, that's all my problem, not the forum!

I'm pissed that photobucket did this. I've got years of pasted photos. If they were public, I'd short their stock immediately. They are probably losing hundreds of thousands if not millions of "customers" (or account holders).

If you are going to post up images of your rides I would highly suggest uploading them to the forum. Links will sooner or later be broken and be lost to the internet ether forever.

William

William
07-06-2017, 09:55 AM
The problem I just found is that images have to be a certain size when uploading here. I tried uploading direct to the forum but the photo got booted back. It was 4MB. I dunno how to resize and am too lazy to spend more time than the keystrokes involved in copying & pasting a link to a 3rd party service. However, that's all my problem, not the forum!

I'm pissed that photobucket did this. I've got years of pasted photos. If they were public, I'd short their stock immediately. They are probably losing hundreds of thousands if not millions of "customers" (or account holders).

PB has sucked for a while but they have apparently finally decided to dive down the drain.

It's not perfect, but I believe the max image size is around 1200 x 1200 for uploading to the forum. As long as the image parameters are no larger than that you should have no issue. Most of you probably already know this but I'll post it up just in case. For the image application "Preview" on the Mac...

Go to "Tools" and click on "Adjust Size".

Reduce the largest number in either Height or width so it scales down so that the largest parameter is 1200 pixels or under.

Should work fine for resizing and uploading.

William

William
07-06-2017, 09:57 AM
I reduced this image to 1171, just under to resize it for uploading...

William
07-06-2017, 10:12 AM
Btw, a great example of this is Tomity's awesome thread...

Velodrome In Japan (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=49737)

Many of the great images that he shared are no longer there due to broken links.:(

William

Bob Ross
07-06-2017, 10:21 AM
Okay, wait, I'm confused... My free Photobucket account still seems to work just fine

Well, if by "fine" we agree that it's insufferably slow and so bloated with ads as to be practically unusable. But at least my pics all still seem to be there. E.g.,

http://i1070.photobucket.com/albums/u495/bob_ross4/Pier%20in%20Piermont_zpsztgb5ugx.jpg

DRZRM
07-06-2017, 10:27 AM
Okay, wait, I'm confused... My free Photobucket account still seems to work just fine

Well, if by "fine" we agree that it's insufferably slow and so bloated with ads as to be practically unusable. But at least my pics all still seem to be there. E.g.,

http://i1070.photobucket.com/albums/u495/bob_ross4/Pier%20in%20Piermont_zpsztgb5ugx.jpg

Nope, you have the PB death image there. I always thought it was sort of annoying to resize for the forum, but obviously I'm not going to use another free site that can pull 3rd party hosting at any time. I'll go back and upload images. Do I remember that there a function that keeps you from uploading the same image twice? Can I upload an image to the Gallery and then upload it to "Show me your gravel bikes"?

likebikes
07-06-2017, 10:27 AM
photobucket is the yahoo! of image sites.

MattTuck
07-06-2017, 10:29 AM
Nope, you have the PB death image there. I always thought it was sort of annoying to resize for the forum, but obviously I'm not going to use another free site that can pull 3rd party hosting at any time. I'll go back and upload images. Do I remember that there a function that keeps you from uploading the same image twice? Can I upload an image to the Gallery and then upload it to "Show me your gravel bikes"?

yes, just find the original image, right click, copy image URL.

Then in the new post, use the little "mountain with a sun" icon (it is yellow, right next to the quote icon) and paste the copied URL there.

Bob Ross
07-06-2017, 10:29 AM
Nope, you have the PB death image there.

Are you saying you can't see that picture that I posted and that you quoted?!?!

MattTuck
07-06-2017, 10:30 AM
photobucket is the yahoo! of image sites.

isn't flickr actually owned by yahoo? and now verizon...

seanile
07-06-2017, 10:30 AM

correct, this is what we all see.

Bostic
07-06-2017, 10:31 AM
I've used imageshack for several years now. A couple years ago they went from free to a subscription based (like every other company now) which is about $20 yearly. It's worth it to me as I can select from a variety of image sizes on the fly.

Bob Ross
07-06-2017, 10:32 AM
correct, this is what we all see.

Wow...

ColonelJLloyd
07-06-2017, 10:38 AM
My granfathered Flickr Pro account auto-renewed yesterday. $25/yr. Since most of the features are free I considered cancelling it. Probably not going to, though. Ads suck.

FlashUNC
07-06-2017, 10:39 AM
Why anyone used a butt site like Photobucket over Flickr is beyond me.

brewsmith
07-06-2017, 11:00 AM
I have used postimages.org for the past few years to post stuff to forums, it's free and has never given me any issues. All my other photos automatically go to my google photo cloud, between the two it's a pretty good system.

SleepyCyclist
07-06-2017, 11:00 AM
Posting from Tapatalk uploads images directly. Must be resizing behind the scenes - works pretty well.

M

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170706/51b2d8d29196789db21b2fe914456327.jpg

brockd15
07-06-2017, 11:08 AM
Why anyone used a butt site like Photobucket over Flickr is beyond me.

I'm in the process of moving away from Photobucket because of this nonsense and I'm moving to Flickr. For all the pains of Photobucket, which were mostly ad related, it was at least pretty intuitive. So far, Flickr is far from it. There's the photostream, camera roll, collections, albums, no nesting (apparently), private vs public has to be set per image as opposed to per album, etc.

Definitely not as user friendly as I expected it to be.

William
07-06-2017, 02:31 PM
.... I always thought it was sort of annoying to resize for the forum, but obviously I'm not going to use another free site that can pull 3rd party hosting at any time. I'll go back and upload images. Do I remember that there a function that keeps you from uploading the same image twice? Can I upload an image to the Gallery and then upload it to "Show me your gravel bikes"?

I think that is still correct though Keith would be the final word on settings. When re-posting I have either used Save As or Duplicate with the image, rename it, then post it up. Or I just screen shot it and re-post that image. Steps either way but its not something I do enough to really bother me to go through the steps.

William

uno-speedo
07-06-2017, 03:34 PM
It feels like PB got hacked and are now holding their users to ransom!

You have to question the sanity of the person at PB who authorised this.

54ny77
07-06-2017, 04:54 PM
i wondered the exact same thing!!!!

can't ever recall seeing a notice about this.

regardless, i'm done with photobucket. so much for all the photos i've posted.

i look at it as a positive, a cleansing of sorts.

It feels like PB got hacked and are now holding their users to ransom!

You have to question the sanity of the person at PB who authorised this.

tbike4
07-06-2017, 05:40 PM
regardless, i'm done with photobucket. so much for all the photos i've posted.

i look at it as a positive, a cleansing of sorts.

Indeed!!! I have all of my photos somewhere on the boxes of hard drives in the closet. It was just simple to copy and paste the img. I will use something with a company that will survive, Apple maybe. I think PB has not just a foot but most of the body in the grave.

54ny77
07-06-2017, 05:51 PM
it is just sooooooooo bad. as in horrendous. a few months ago it had a feedback loop that prevented you from logging in.

Edit: just deleted the account. That was kinda cathartic. Been a user for 10 years. Wow time flies.

Indeed!!! I have all of my photos somewhere on the boxes of hard drives in the closet. It was just simple to copy and paste the img. I will use something with a company that will survive, Apple maybe. I think PB has not just a foot but most of the body in the grave.

OtayBW
07-06-2017, 07:18 PM
it is just sooooooooo bad. as in horrendous. a few months ago it had a feedback loop that prevented you from logging in.

Edit: just deleted the account. That was kinda cathartic. Been a user for 10 years. Wow time flies.
+100. Me, too. Also had it for 10+ years. Downloaded all my files this weekend and I now need to delete the account :eek:. What a POS and waste of space in the universe this thing is...

ultraman6970
07-06-2017, 07:44 PM
Ok got the email about this today... sucks... interesting because they talk about an upgrade and they dont even say if its free or not, you have to subscribe 1st to find out?

Oh well... gonna have to start using google thingy I guess...

Hmmm after checking up the prices, this is just insane...fir somebody that has zillions of pictures maybe worth to pay but I doubt I have even 10 mb of pictures in there, why I would like to sign puls 50 that is 50 gigs for 5 bucks a month??? :/

http://photobucket.com/pricing

This one looks like a good alternative and is free...

https://picload.org/

DRZRM
07-06-2017, 10:34 PM

Yes, correct.

SlowPokePete
07-07-2017, 05:45 AM
Trying google photos but when I copy and paste the "link" that's what shows, not the picture .

SPP

Black Dog
07-07-2017, 06:47 AM
+100. Me, too. Also had it for 10+ years. Downloaded all my files this weekend and I now need to delete the account :eek:. What a POS and waste of space in the universe this thing is...

Did and about to do the same thing.

Bob Ross
07-07-2017, 08:56 AM
Yes, correct.

What's really insidious is that for the first day I could still see my pictures, in both my original post and where it was quoted by others. But 24 hours later, now even I see the dreaded Death Pic in place of my own photo.

Fuk you Photobucket.

I have used postimages.org for the past few years to post stuff to forums, it's free and has never given me any issues.

And thank you for that!