PDA

View Full Version : 32-35mm road tires?

Dromen
07-05-2017, 09:17 PM
What are you riding or wish you were riding for road tires in the 700c X 32 - 35mm wide variety? Not heavier urban tires designed to be bullet proof or combo pavement/gravel-ish tires but those more intended for smooth pavement leaning towards faster and more supple.

Thanks in advance for thoughts and comments.

PS. If there is a thread that is current, just point me in its direction.

AngryScientist
07-05-2017, 09:19 PM
i think it's fairly well accepted that in the category you're describing the compass extralight tires are the top of the heap.

joosttx
07-05-2017, 09:23 PM
i think it's fairly well accepted that in the category you're describing the compass extralight tires are the top of the heap.

+one.

mktng
07-05-2017, 09:29 PM
+2 on compass tires
dont even need the EL versions tbh.
their standard versions are light, and fast rolling.

hummus_aquinas
07-05-2017, 09:32 PM
If they're that big they better be tubeless, no? I hear the schwalbe ones are popular.

commonguy001
07-05-2017, 09:38 PM
Love my Compass tires and I too am fine with the standard version. Not sure I'll even bother with the EL as the standard are really good.
My experience is currently limited to the Bon Jon and Barlow Pass versions.

ColonelJLloyd
07-05-2017, 09:39 PM
If they're that big they better be tubeless, no? I hear the schwalbe ones are popular.

The 35mm Compass are tubeless. I hear good things about the G-Ones as well. They just released a 27.5x2.35. I wish they'd make a 27.5x2.0.

Burning Pines
07-05-2017, 09:41 PM
I have clement strada LGGs in 28 and they are totally fine even in 60tpi version. Then now come in 32 tanwalls which I might try when these are worn. Probably not as nice as compass but also like half the cost.

thwart
07-05-2017, 09:47 PM
I like my 33 mm Challenge Strada Biancas. These measure almost 35 mm.

They're not quite as silky smooth as the original 30 mm Strada Bianca (measure 32 mm) 260 tpi variant, but they're close.

dmurphey
07-05-2017, 09:52 PM
Panaracer T serves 700 x 32 are a great compromise on durability, weight and price. I dont like flats or changing tires every 6 months.

dustyrider
07-05-2017, 10:01 PM
Panaracer T serves 700 x 32 are a great compromise on durability, weight and price. I dont like flats or changing tires every 6 months.

Gotta agree! Thousands of worry free miles = more enjoyment. I opted for the reflective sidewall when I was a commuter.

Dromen
07-05-2017, 10:24 PM
I like my 33 mm Challenge Strada Biancas. These measure almost 35 mm.

They're not quite as silky smooth as the original 30 mm Strada Bianca (measure 32 mm) 260 tpi variant, but they're close.

Interesting T-wart. Do you have any ride experience with compass line where you can make a comparison?

justaute
07-05-2017, 10:24 PM
Don't forget Hutchinson Sector 32.

bismo37
07-05-2017, 11:15 PM
Panaracer Gravel Kings in 32 mm are great and less $ than Compass. However, they will be a little heavier.

Andy sti
07-06-2017, 12:18 AM
Interesting T-wart. Do you have any ride experience with compass line where you can make a comparison?

I also love my 33c Strada Biancas. I can't compare with Compass Tires unfortunately. I think Gravel Kings ride like crap so I can compare to those. I found mine on eBay for $70 a pair so the beat Compass on price.

cachagua
07-06-2017, 01:28 AM
I'm really thrilled with my extra-light Bon Jons but my Chinooks, 28c and also extra light, didn't seem quite so sweet as 27c or 30c Challenges. Kinda doughy-feeling, in comparison? Not that they're unpleasant to ride, don't get me wrong, but the others edge them out. I put 'em on my fixie, and the Kirk and the Hamp get the handmade tires.

While we're on the subject, I saw a pair of Challenge 700X36 tires for sale... never seen that size before, have any of you? I'd buy them if they were the same construction as the smaller ones, *and* if there were more available somewhere, but the Challenge website doesn't list them. Discontinued? Bogus? Or once-in-a-lifetime great tire?

Dromen
07-06-2017, 06:02 AM
http://www.challengetech.it/products/gravel/strada-bianca-pro-040/00540/en

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

wpod
07-06-2017, 07:48 AM
About to order a pair of Conti 4Season's in 32c. Been very happy running the 28's on my 585 Ultra so gonna give the 32's a try on the 'Vagen

thwart
07-06-2017, 08:04 AM

Nope. No Compass tires in my overflowing rubber supply. And as you know, I'm a cheapskate...

merckx
07-06-2017, 08:06 AM
http://www.challengetech.it/products/gravel/strada-bianca-pro-040/00540/en

TBH, I was spooked by reports of Challenge tires indiscriminately blowing off rims. These alleged problems were volleyed back and forth on the forums a few yeas ago. Not sure if they were piolet error, or QC issues, but glad to hear that some on here have found success with them, and are enjoying them.

Davist
07-06-2017, 09:02 AM
+1 for the strada bianca's off ebay, ran them all winter. reasonably durable, though only got 1k out of the back on mostly road. No issues with blowing off the rim as reported years ago, I think that's been solved, at least in my experience. Interested in the GP 4 seasons in 32, but will probably just buy another strada bianca. Measures 33 on a ~25mm rim, can keep up with "regular" bikes and corners like a supermoto downhill.

bobswire
07-06-2017, 09:51 AM
Since the advent of "gravel grinder" craze there a lots of tires besides expensive compass tires, it's hard to beat Panaracer gravel kings for value and comfort via that value. They come in both treaded TK for lose dirt and file thread. Both are great for all around use. At present my personal favorite are made by Panaracer for Soma, called Soma C-Line though they are labeled at 38c they run at 37c on my A-23 rims. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Soma-C-Line-Folding-Tire-700x38-Black-Skinwall-Road-Fixed-Urban-Bike/361965822819?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

http://i67.tinypic.com/vwtk6g.jpg

ltwtsculler91
07-06-2017, 09:52 AM
+1 for the strada bianca's off ebay, ran them all winter. reasonably durable, though only got 1k out of the back on mostly road. No issues with blowing off the rim as reported years ago, I think that's been solved, at least in my experience. Interested in the GP 4 seasons in 32, but will probably just buy another strada bianca. Measures 33 on a ~25mm rim, can keep up with "regular" bikes and corners like a supermoto downhill.

I also ran Strada Biancas (in 30c, measure a tad over 32 on 19c rims) all winter with zero problems in 1500 miles. It does look to be time for a new back tire though, but the ride on them is awesome and had no issue kicking it up with the guys on their "narrow" 25cs all winter and spring

kentileguy
07-06-2017, 10:16 AM
Really like the ride of my Compass EL's 30mm
Great on pavement and smooth gravel. Much more durable than I expected.
Kind of pricey, my next tires will be Panaracer Gravel Kings (smooth version)
Not a big fan of Challenge tires, the tread on my Almonzos peeled off within a few hundred miles

RFC
07-06-2017, 11:15 AM
I'll offer another suggestion. Here in Goathead land, I like Gatorskins. Yes, the 23's run a little wooden, but they improve dramatically with size. The 28's ride like a fast road tire and the 32's ride like a fast 28.

kingpin75s
07-06-2017, 11:29 AM
+1 for Challenge 260tpi 32c actual width tires. IMHO the rubber performs better than the Compass tires for aggressive riding. I ran pre-prod Challenge Eroica's (no red protection strip on inside similar to a PR) at the Triple Bypass a couple of years ago and could not be happier with the performance descending Loveland.

I run my Challenge Eroica's on the same bike with the same rims that I run Compass 32c tires on as well. I run the Compass in the spring as I think the rubber is better for spring debris and move to the Challenge tires when the roads clean up.

p nut
07-06-2017, 11:29 AM
I'll offer another suggestion. Here in Goathead land, I like Gatorskins. Yes, the 23's run a little wooden, but they improve dramatically with size. The 28's ride like a fast road tire and the 32's ride like a fast 28.

Thanks for that. I didn't know Gatorskins came in 32. Or 4Seasons. I might have to give them a try. I am on Bon Jon Pass right now, and the ride is great. However, I had my first sidewall cut a month or two ago (although that was my fault for riding on some chunky gravel). Two weeks ago, riding on the road, I felt a cool spray on my legs. I thought I was riding by some sprinklers so I just enjoyed it for a bit, until I realized it was sealant spraying all over the place. Never found what it was. Maybe glass. It didn't seal up right away even though the hole was fairly small. I had to stop, point the hole down to get all the sealant on it. Still oozed out a good amount of sealant before it stopped. Pumped carefully and rode home. The next day, pumped to 50psi and it let go again. Had to patch it from the inside.

The only thing missing from Continental is tubeless.

EDIT: One other thing I don't like about Compass is how loose the bead gets. Initial set up was ok--nice and tight. But just after one ride, I could take the tire off easily with my hand. One of the tires was from the new batch received a 2-3 weeks ago.

thermalattorney
07-06-2017, 11:45 AM
Don't forget Hutchinson Sector 32.

+1
I'm on my second pair of the original 28s and if I could fit them, the 32mm version would be at the top of my list.

I commute on 32mm Gatorskins and as @RFC noted they ride dramatically better than at the smaller sizes. You certainly don't feel like you're sacrificing anything for the extra protection. That said, I really like tubeless and when these Gatorskins wear out I'll take that as an opportunity to make the switch.

thwart
07-06-2017, 11:46 AM
Not to sound overly enthusiastic :rolleyes: but IMO the Strada Biancas are the bomb. Sticky and soft riding. Think an overgrown Vittoria Corsa CX...

Didn't know they made a 36.

But not the answer if you have goatheads... or need to get 3K miles out of your rear tire.

Vientomas
07-06-2017, 12:22 PM
Panaracer T-Serv in 32.

NHAero
07-06-2017, 12:45 PM
Vittoria Voyager Hyper 700x35, measure out at 37 on Boyd Altamont Lite rims

rwsaunders
07-06-2017, 12:48 PM
I had 32mm (measured 30mm) Conti 4Seasons on a bike for many years and they rode well and were flat free...ymmv of course. Made the switch back to tubbies or I might still be riding them.

Dromen
07-06-2017, 01:01 PM
More info......
Intended use: 200K-300K brevets on backup wheelset for 45mm clearance gravel bike. 100% pavement. worst they will see is some rough road.

Completely forgot Conti 4Seasons came in a 32s. Big fan of these in 25 on my road bikes when a little added protection is needed with some good soft rubber.

Thanks for everything so far, keep it coming.

ColonelJLloyd
07-06-2017, 01:03 PM
Just buy some of the Compass 35, 38 or 44 tires. If you decide you don't like them you're out shipping to you and to the person you sell them to. It's worth it to see for yourself, I'd say.

sandyrs
07-06-2017, 01:09 PM
Another vote for the "30mm" 260tpi Strada Biancas. The actual size is several mm larger and they ride gloriously

AngryScientist
07-06-2017, 01:10 PM
Just buy some of the Compass 35, 38 or 44 tires. If you decide you don't like them you're out shipping to you and to the person you sell them to. It's worth it to see for yourself, I'd say.

agree with this. you never know just how much better a tire is until you try it for yourself. compass tires sell here in minutes too, so no worries there.

weisan
07-06-2017, 01:52 PM
If you ride attentively and not go over broken debris on the road on purpose, there's nothing that rides like the Compass.

But if you don't, any of the other offerings from Panaracer and the others would work just fine. I like Pasela and T-Serv.

And lastly, don't go pay good money on a set of supple tires and then pump it up to 300 PSI!

andeww
07-06-2017, 03:31 PM
i have a silly question.
If a cx frame is rated to clear 32s, how much bigger can you probably go with slicks (no knobs) and no need for mud clearance? i know it will differ by frame but as much of a difference as 40s maybe?

Dromen
07-06-2017, 03:41 PM
.....start a separate thread.

p nut
07-06-2017, 03:43 PM
i have a silly question.
If a cx frame is rated to clear 32s, how much bigger can you probably go with slicks (no knobs) and no need for mud clearance? i know it will differ by frame but as much of a difference as 40s maybe?

I'd probably say 35mm. I doubt 40's will fit a frame designed for 32's.

Hilltopperny
07-06-2017, 03:49 PM
I prefer the compass standard casing. Had my first flat since d2r2 on an extralight casing.

zzy
07-06-2017, 04:43 PM
Always amazed Schwalbe Kojaks never come up on these lists. Mine measured 33, but are stamped 35. 300g, fast, tough, and durable.

BAllenby
07-06-2017, 09:33 PM
What are you riding or wish you were riding for road tires in the 700c X 32 - 35mm wide variety? Not heavier urban tires designed to be bullet proof or combo pavement/gravel-ish tires but those more intended for smooth pavement leaning towards faster and more supple.

Thanks in advance for thoughts and comments.

PS. If there is a thread that is current, just point me in its direction.

Schwalbe S-One / G-One speed have been awesome for me, especially setup tubeless on a nice wide rim.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zennmotion
07-07-2017, 09:16 AM
Schwalbe S-One / G-One speed have been awesome for me, especially setup tubeless on a nice wide rim.

Agreed on this, I love these tires for truly mixed surfaces, which in reality are most of the 'gravel' rides I do- there's still pavement to connect the "secteurs". I think sometimes they're overlooked because they're not "skinwall" colored. Which is dumb, skinwalls look like crap IMO after a few hours of hard riding in wet dirty conditions, especially with rim brake residue. And I ride a lugged steel frame... They look weird with tig'd, Alu, carbon, Ti etc, looks like fake wood trim on cheap office furniture. but that's just me I guess. On the other hand, I wish Schwable would tone it down on the logos. But the G-One's balance ride and durability really well on dirt and pavement, tubeless or clincher.

joosttx
07-07-2017, 09:28 AM

I have. The compass tires are more durable and a little more comfortable. If you are concerned with durability then challenge tires are not for you. They wear out fast and once they do it is flat city. I really like the compass tires especially if you are going tubless. They are really sweet when you set them up tubeless.

joosttx
07-07-2017, 09:32 AM
i have a silly question.

I doubt it. My mosaic is a cross frame designed for cross - sized tires. The biggest tires I can mount are 38's Barlow Passes.

Dromen
07-07-2017, 09:46 AM

Am i missing something or do these only come in 700X30?

Dromen
07-07-2017, 09:49 AM
This severe common sense......
.....you never know just how much better a tire is until you try it for yourself......

And this(you seem to be a bit of or are the Fat Tire expert on PL)......
If you ride attentively and not go over broken debris on the road on purpose, there's nothing that rides like the Compass.

And from the highly respected...
Not to sound overly enthusiastic :rolleyes: but IMO the Strada Biancas are the bomb. Sticky and soft riding. Think an overgrown Vittoria Corsa CX...

Down to Compass Barlow Pass or Bon Jon ELs or Strada Bianca 700x36 "Handmade" clinchers or 700X33 "Vulcanized" clinchers. One more question b4 posting a classified/go shopping....Can some one clarify in dum dum terms, the difference between Challenge's Handmade & Vulcanized clinchers? (Maybe as examples, my road tire lineup is mostly Vittoria CX and Pave clinchers then Michelin Pro4 and Conti 4 Season, what are these?)

BAllenby
07-07-2017, 09:53 AM
Am i missing something or do these only come in 700X30?

The S-One / G-One Speeds (same time, different name for 2017) only come as 30's. The G-One "Allround" comes in 700x35, 700x38 and 27.5x2.8 too.

I haven't ridden the Allround, but from what I can tell it's a beefier tire, more traction/tread, and meant for gravel, and light off-road. It still rolls pretty smoothly according to the guys at my shop.

cachagua
07-07-2017, 11:30 AM
Maxxis Re-Fuse 700X40, anybody? I haven't ridden them yet... like to hear others' experiences.

Also -- how ABOUT those G-1 Allrounds? Are they a 35 like a Bon Jon is a 35, i.e. about 38 millimeters? Or like a Kenda 35, about 33 or 34mm?

Davist
07-07-2017, 12:06 PM
g-one speeds? One of my buddies has them, only 30mm though, he said they're great..

I remain with Strada Bianca's as I haven't ridden the g-one speeds, I have regular g-ones, too buzzy for the road, I took them off as I spent too much effort making the knobs squirm :)

ColonelJLloyd
07-07-2017, 01:01 PM
The S-One / G-One Speeds (same time, different name for 2017) only come as 30's. The G-One "Allround" comes in 700x35, 700x38 and 27.5x2.8 too.

The "Speed" also comes in 27.5x2.35 and 29x2.35.

The "Allround" comes in 650bx40 in addition to the sizes you mentioned.

thwart
07-07-2017, 07:32 PM
Down to Compass Barlow Pass or Bon Jon ELs or Strada Bianca 700x36 "Handmade" clinchers or 700X33 "Vulcanized" clinchers. One more question b4 posting a classified/go shopping....Can some one clarify in dum dum terms, the difference between Challenge's Handmade & Vulcanized clinchers? (Maybe as examples, my road tire lineup is mostly Vittoria CX and Pave clinchers then Michelin Pro4 and Conti 4 Season, what are these?)

From the folks at Challenge tires...

Ultimately the major difference between a Handmade Tubular or Open Tubular and the majority of clinchers is that it will avoid the heat and pressure process called vulcanization, which most tires undergo in production. It is used to bind the materials, but compromises the ride quality when the rubber gets stiffer. Treads are hand-glued onto Challenge Tubulars and Open Tubulars, and the latex and rubber maintain their ideal quality.

More variation for sure in handmade tires.

Witness some folks cursing FMB tires (delaminating or other 'quality' issues), and yet many others thinking they are, without a doubt, god's answer to tires.

... or Ken's experience with the Almanzos vs mine with the Strada Biancas.

So you have to trust a bit to good luck when buying handmade tires. Then again, odds are good you'll be rewarded.

Dromen
07-07-2017, 10:18 PM
Sounds like a solid retailer would be in order.

kingpin75s
07-07-2017, 10:19 PM
From the folks at Challenge tires...

Ultimately the major difference between a Handmade Tubular or Open Tubular and the majority of clinchers is that it will avoid the heat and pressure process called vulcanization, which most tires undergo in production. It is used to bind the materials, but compromises the ride quality when the rubber gets stiffer. Treads are hand-glued onto Challenge Tubulars and Open Tubulars, and the latex and rubber maintain their ideal quality.

More variation for sure in handmade tires.

Witness some folks cursing FMB tires (delaminating or other 'quality' issues), and yet many others thinking they are, without a doubt, god's answer to tires.

... or Ken's experience with the Almanzos vs mine with the Strada Biancas.

So you have to trust a bit to good luck when buying handmade tires. Then again, odds are good you'll be rewarded.

Well stated and matches my experience.

choke
07-07-2017, 10:42 PM
Can some one clarify in dum dum terms, the difference between Challenge's Handmade & Vulcanized clinchers? (Maybe as examples, my road tire lineup is mostly Vittoria CX and Pave clinchers then Michelin Pro4 and Conti 4 Season, what are these?)The "handmade" are like the Vittorias, the tread is glued to a casing. The vulcanized are like the Contis and Michelin, the entire tire is molded in one piece.

Dromen
07-07-2017, 11:35 PM
"Think an overgrown Vittoria Corsa CX..."
thwart
7/6/17

oliver
07-08-2017, 06:17 AM
Another fan of the "30mm" 260tpi Strada Biancas.

I get too many flats on the compass tires to ever want to use them, plus they are 50% more expensive than the Strada Biancas for me.

jruhlen1980
07-29-2017, 08:33 PM
Came here to thank everyone for recommending the Strada Biancas. I got a second wheelset for my gravel bike so I could swap between gravel tires (tubeless) and road tires and just use it as my everyday road bike. Got a set of 700x33 Strada Biancas -- the 120 tpi which is the "low" end, based in part on the comments in this thread, and have been riding them as road tires (with shortcuts and detours on gravel as necessary) for about two weeks and OMG they are a fantastic riding, smooth, supple tire. Also, they don't appear to slow me down in the slightest my average speed on the road with my gravel bike is roughly equal to my dedicated road bike.

livingminimal
07-29-2017, 11:57 PM
Pana GK 32mm slicks. They're incredible and excellent value for the $.