PDA

View Full Version : Confession Time: Riding the road bike to work

Duende
07-05-2017, 07:50 PM
Curious to know... am I the only one guilty of this?

I have a commuting bike. An old paramount that I converted into a single speed. Most folks would beyond stoked to have that as their commuter... but man... I have to say I still much prefer putting the cafe covers on my speedplays and cruising on my road bike. Maybe it's just the perfect fit and the modern components... but the ride is just so much nicer and chill.

My commute is short. Only 8 miles roundtrip. That and my city apartment is small... downsizing a commuter bike is certainly appealing.

Llewellyn
07-05-2017, 08:04 PM
Road bikes are the commuter bike of choice in Australia.

sales guy
07-05-2017, 08:12 PM
I don't but I could if it were comfortable in regular shorts. Should try and start walking.

A buddy of mine who is a former state and national champion road racer for 10+ years rode to and from work. And he worked 3rd shift. It was 25 miles away one way. Fittest 60 yr old you'd ever meet. And he could still hammer on the road. Used to put 20 and 30 yr old kids in their place on rides and in races.

He used to use a Softride road bike. The regular round tubed one. Carried a backpack with his gear. Did it five days a week.

bicycletricycle
07-05-2017, 08:17 PM
I don't like backpacks and roads are crap here and I ride in all weather so I prefer a commuter bike with portage, big tires and fenders.

When I was younger in California I mostly commuted on a road bike with a messenger bag, it was great.

Ride what you like.

onsight512
07-05-2017, 08:29 PM
I've a commuter bike that has racks and can carry everything my heart desires, but if I don't have to carry anything, I take the road bike. It's so much more fun to ride.

monarchguy
07-05-2017, 08:42 PM
When I commute, it's on my road bike -- if you have to end up at work, at least the ride should be fun. Plus, the faster I can leave, the better my mood.

-- Dan

ps. I actually like my job, but there are days....

mtechnica
07-05-2017, 08:43 PM
My commuting bike is a Calfee tetra pro with fenders and lights. I carry things in an ortleib backpack. I can ride any of my road bikes comfortably enough wearing jeans. I have a secure place to keep the bike at work so there's no incentive to ride a beater.

classtimesailer
07-05-2017, 08:59 PM
You should have two road bikes. One to ride to work in worn out shorts and another that is always fresh and clean and that you ride on weekends long, fast, and in fresh shorts.

CSKeller
07-05-2017, 09:02 PM
I only ride my road bikes to work. Don't have a 'commuter' but even if I did, I prefer my actual road bikes. :D

My commute is 21 miles one way and I swap between my 2001 Gangl Ti Custom, my 2004 Look KX Light or my 2010 Look 695. They all run on tubulars 90% of the time and are all equipped with Campagnolo! :beer:

Commuting by bike sure is far more pleasant and enjoyable than driving. Too many crazy drivers taking chances on a 2 lane road to get to work 15-20 seconds earlier than the next person just to get a closer parking spot!!

If they ride their bike, they get the best parking spot...next to their desk!

Lanternrouge
07-05-2017, 09:08 PM
All of my road bikes work as commuter bikes. I want to ride them as much as possible. The most direct route is 6 miles, but I usually get my ride in for the day before work and often a bit more afterwards since I know I'm going to have to take a shower and go through another kit anyway, so I might as well.

c77barlage
07-05-2017, 09:47 PM
I also ride my road bikes to work while wearing good cycling kit. I'm fortunate to have secure bike storage as well as a locker room with showers.

fogrider
07-05-2017, 11:43 PM
I hear ya! I have several road bikes, but one is all carbon, 15 pounds and I like to have it ready for longer weekend rides.

if you live in an apartment and need to downsize, then fine, but I always like to have more than one option. maybe the setup of the paramount is wrong.

All of my road bikes work as commuter bikes. I want to ride them as much as possible. The most direct route is 6 miles, but I usually get my ride in for the day before work and often a bit more afterwards since I know I'm going to have to take a shower and go through another kit anyway, so I might as well.

Duende
07-06-2017, 12:08 AM
if you live in an apartment and need to downsize, then fine, but I always like to have more than one option. maybe the setup of the paramount is wrong.

Definitely wrong. Plus it's too big, but I over-looked all that because I was lusting after it so much.

Anyways... I'll still have three left in the stable without the Paramount.

slinkywizard
07-06-2017, 04:24 AM
I commute riding my roadbike ('03 ti Seven axiom) pretty much all-year round. Since it's only 9 km each way, I don't bother wearing cycling gear. I ride nice 27 mm veloflex tubulars which I don't mide having to inflate to their perfect pressure every day. I consider it a nice little treat to start and end my working day. Must admit that I am spoilt by our excellent cycling infrastructure here in the Netherlands. Most of my route is on mirror-smooth bicycle paths that are completely segregated from other traffic. Good secure bike-storage at work and showers helps as well... :cool:

wgp
07-06-2017, 06:48 AM
No such thing as a commuter bike for me! I rotate my various road bikes for my commute, which is only 10 mi each way. Like the OP, why not enjoy the ride of our carefully cultivated road bikes vs a "beater bike?" I too commute on tubulars three seasons of the year, saving the Conti 4 Season clincher wheels for the dead of winter (when a flat and need to change out a tire would really suck in the dead of winter)!

julseas
07-06-2017, 07:14 AM
I turned a road bike (Merlin) into a townie (basket and flat pedals). It's my favorite ride.

GonaSovereign
07-06-2017, 07:26 AM
I turned a road bike (Merlin) into a townie (basket and flat pedals). It's my favorite ride.

Pictures, please.

julseas
07-06-2017, 07:47 AM
Pictures, please.

Non DS but

https://scontent-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/19702141_10106954950360533_824712706077481080_n.jp g?oh=c35632f73d90ecc138952a5af9d77b7c&oe=5A01D113

redir
07-06-2017, 07:48 AM
I ride my Moots or my Cannondale or a vintage road bike or even sometimes a track bike to work every day. I just use a messenger bag for clothing and lunch and ride in a kit and get changed at work. I do have a nice commuter bike, an old touring bike with racks and fenders, but that bike stays at work in case I need to go to meetings or run errands around town.

Lewis Moon
07-06-2017, 08:34 AM
Commuting = training for me. I live 13 miles from work by the shortest safe route, but I usually extend that to 25 - 40 miles. Why not kill two birds with one pump swing?

Bradford
07-06-2017, 08:44 AM
...why not enjoy the ride of our carefully cultivated road bike's vs a "beater bike?" ...

Because that's not the choice if you don't want it to be the choice. My choice is a carefully cultivated road bike or a carefully cultivated commuter bike. I have two IFs that can take a rack, an Independence touring bike and a Club Racer. Both are wonderful bikes that are a joy to ride and allow me to keep my laptop and clothes where they belong, in a pannier and not on my back.

If I'm not going to see clients and just meeting with co-workers, I might throw some Crocs and a pair of gym shorts in my Revelate and ride my Legend, but since I have proper commuters, I enjoy the ride either way.

Unless you don't have a secure place to lock the bike, there is never a need to use a beater to commute.

wgp
07-06-2017, 08:57 AM
Because that's not the choice if you don't want it to be the choice. My choice is a carefully cultivated road bike or a carefully cultivated commuter bike.

Hard to argue with that!

overmyhead
07-06-2017, 09:11 AM
Ride what you like & what feels good.
I have a Cannondale CAAD5 that I almost sold a few years ago. Instead I started using it as a commuter with an easily removable seatpost rack, bag and burrito bag on the bars. Turned out to be a great decision. I love riding it into work.

bobswire
07-06-2017, 09:35 AM
Curious to know... am I the only one guilty of this?

I have a commuting bike. An old paramount that I converted into a single speed. Most folks would beyond stoked to have that as their commuter... but man... I have to say I still much prefer putting the cafe covers on my speedplays and cruising on my road bike. Maybe it's just the perfect fit and the modern components... but the ride is just so much nicer and chill.

My commute is short. Only 8 miles roundtrip. That and my city apartment is small... downsizing a commuter bike is certainly appealing.

Since you live in San Francisco as do I you'll be forced to stop quite a bit because of stop signs, lights and traffic. Clicking into and out of speed plays kinda defeats the purpose of those cleats as well as using a sleek road bike. My city bike is set up for errands and what have you with fatter tires and has shimano flat pedals on one side and SPD cleat on the other. That way I can decide whether to use spd shoes or just regular shoes. Commutes are not a fashion statement for me as I need to carry too many accessories. In fact I embrace the Fred in me when I commute and or do errands. Besides I like to cross/bike/train from my roadie drops to flat bar commuter. BTW from where I live in the outer mission my commute is over Twin Peaks and since I'd rather not work up a big sweat I would not commute on a single speed.
http://i67.tinypic.com/97iia0.jpg

yinzerniner
07-06-2017, 09:54 AM
I take my two bikes to work often, which can either consist of two short rides (roughly 5 miles each way) or a longer ride (~15 miles). Helps that there's dedicated and secured storage, and as someone else mentioned the joy of the ride with a tuned machine is palpable.

I also got a set of dual-sided Shimano pedals so I can either use regular work shoes or comfy clip-ins if need be. Helps a lot with the ride.

seanile
07-06-2017, 10:19 AM
i do things after work way too often to ride a bike configured for road rides.
a fendered sscx bike with flat pedals and straps, and a rolltop backpack for work clothes and beer for the docks after work, is all i've ever feel the need for when a commute is < 10 miles one-way.

Bob Ross
07-06-2017, 10:27 AM
My commuter bike is a road bike ...albeit a ~30-year-old road bike.

I will say though that any time someone goes off on the whole "It's Not About The Bike" screed, I just think about commuting on my "good" [sic] bikes versus my commuter bike. Without even trying -- and often without even noticing -- I manage to shave 10 minutes off from my typical 45 minute commute time. It's uncanny.

But I typically only reserve that for days when I need to bring the good bike into the shop. Wouldn't want to have too much fun riding to work, otherwise I'd want to do it all the time, right? :banana:

kevinvc
07-06-2017, 10:31 AM
I ride 6 miles each way every day for my commute and have secure bike parking. My Soma ES, fitted with fenders and a rear rack, is my regular commuter. It's got just the right combination of feel, handling and comfort to make it fun and efficient.

If I'm doing a slow ride around town with family and during the wet season, I dream of a more upright bike with mustache bars, belt drive, dynamo lights, and disc brakes. But +1 is not in the cards, so it remains just a dream. No real complaints about the Soma though, it's a great bike.

galgal
07-06-2017, 07:14 PM
Commuted for many years in NYC on a 1985 Bianchi chrono bike, converted for general road with fork/700c front wheel, rather than the 650c front) it originally had. Sounds crazy maybe, but the bike rides great. Started getting unwelcome attention when parked outside, so now the commuter is another road bike, a Masi Speciale Carbon, which despite the name has a steel main triangle.
Ride what feels good and makes you smile and want to keep riding.

etu
07-07-2017, 09:57 AM
If security of your bike isn't a consideration, you're denying yourself by not riding a nice, if not your best, bike on your commute.

Duende
07-07-2017, 10:36 AM
If security of your bike isn't a consideration, you're denying yourself by not riding a nice, if not your best, bike on your commute.

That's pretty much the conclusion I've come to.

But like folks mentioned here... that for those times that require lugging some stuff around.. a second bike with some racks or panniers is super handy to have too.

Red Tornado
07-07-2017, 10:51 AM
My commuters are my road bikes. SS road bike usually gets the nod, saving the geared road bike for club rides, etc., but occasionally I'll ride it to work.
I always wear cycling kit on these bikes, too. Have clothes storage & shower at work.

bobswire
07-07-2017, 11:09 AM
My commuters are my road bikes. SS road bike usually gets the nod, saving the geared road bike for club rides, etc., but occasionally I'll ride it to work.
I always wear cycling kit on these bikes, too. Have clothes storage & shower at work.

This is why these kind of threads are pointless without context, location, type of job, parking availability, shower and clothing storage,etc.

Red Tornado
07-07-2017, 03:33 PM
This is why these kind of threads are pointless without context, location, type of job, parking availability, shower and clothing storage,etc.

Have to admit I'm a tad confused. I can't figure out of your beef is with the thread in general or just my comment. Guessing just mine. I'm a little slow sometimes so bear with me. Below is as much pertinent data as I can come up with in the time I have.

Context: My road bikes double as commuters. Not sure what else to say...
Weather: Warm, humid mornings & scorching afternoons in summer; cold mornings & chilly-to-warmish afternoons winter. Almost always some wind.
Roads: Mix of 4 lane divided suburb roads, older neighborhood streets & a smattering of industrial roads (non-residential).
Length: 13 miles each way.
Frequency: Avg 2X/week, occasionally 3X.
Type of job: Tooling/Process Engineer - 1/3 of the day on the shop floor, 2/3 behind a desk. Shop is a/c but not great, office good a/c.
Parking: No designated bike parking, I have a place close to the back door with storage for a pair of athletic shorts (can't walk thru bldg in Lycra) & sneakers.
Shower/Clothing storage: Shower next to weight room, clothes storage in locker room.

If I missed anything please advise. Sorry to have wasted y'all's time with my original post.

kurto
07-07-2017, 03:49 PM
Life is too short to ride crappy bikes, guys. I generally commute on my nice roadie, but sometimes I just feel like riding a beat-up fixed gear, but that's fun too and I don't do it because it's a "commuter." 11-speed go-fast roadies are commuters too.

Anyway, I live in Lincoln, NE, and work at a university, so if it's nice and cool I ride in my casual work clothes and can bring the bike into my office. If it's hot (like summer), I use a bike locker at our outdoor adventure center where it's secure and I have access to showers. I toss my clothes for the day in a backpack and jam the 6 miles to work. It's awesome and takes me less time than if I were to take the bus.

Duende
07-07-2017, 06:23 PM
Have to admit I'm a tad confused.

You're not the only one. FWIW... I appreciated you post. :beer:

Anarchist
07-07-2017, 06:54 PM
I just spent a week in Montreal.

Every time I go there I am struck by how many bikes there are and the extent to which they are used for "doing things"

The bikes with rear racks outnumber those without, by a long way.

I lost count of the number of Fancy Schamncy high dollar Carbon bikes I saw sporting rear racks and panniers.

My favourite on this trip was the Collage C50 with fenders and a rear rack padlocked to a bike rack outside Place Ville Marie.

I don't think you are the only one, no.

oliver
07-08-2017, 06:20 AM
I always use my city bike for commuting: front basket, rear rack, dynamo lighting, and a frame lock. Also it's the only bike I have where I can carry someone else (on the rear rack).

solrider
07-08-2017, 03:30 PM
I love my road bike and I do have a secure storage... but I communte in a old school Trek mountain bike that I got for dirt cheap. Added a rear rack and bags... looks ok for a commuter I guess but I love riding my Serotta! the road here in dtla is real bad tho so I wanted to use a different but that's such a burn.... now thinking of building a steel cx as a commuter lol

cnighbor1
07-09-2017, 04:54 PM
Confession Time: Riding the road bike to work
No one can top my 2:45 minutes down town Seattle to North Bend commute
Rode at times road till it got dark than took the bus rest of the way home
I did take the bus in to work

moonhoo
07-10-2017, 09:04 AM
My commuter bike has always been my slowest bike. Keeps me to a reasonable speed and forces me to be attentive to the pedestrians who dart out in the middle of the street or onto the bike path.

sirskialot22
01-25-2018, 10:44 PM
I used to only ride drop bar bikes, but after buying a converted road bike with flat bars, I think it makes more sense for me for shorter commuters with a backpack, especially in an urban environment where traffic and constant maneuvering is a necessity. I am routinely surprised by how many people still commute with old road bikes and flexy single pivot or center pull brakes and drop-only handle bar shapes. And I was blown away riding around in London seeing all the spandexed folks with backpacks. Sure, I wear my tight kits on the weekend, but I think taking it down a few mph for the shorter commutes, not having to take a shower, and being able to see everything is worth a bit to me. Also, when I get on my road bike I end up racing everything that moves, which is detrimental to my health.

Ti Designs
01-25-2018, 11:09 PM
Life is too short to ride crappy bikes, guys.

Nooooooo!!!! Life is too short not to ride crappy bikes. There's a freedom to riding a bike you don't give a damn about. Many years ago I had a pub crawl bike - most fun bike ever. We rode from one bar to the next on our list, when we got there most people stopped and locked their bikes up. I didn't even come to a stop, I hopped off the back of my bike and straight into the bar. Little known fact: bikes (and a few high end SUVs) can park themselves! Sadly, that bike became part of the big dig.

These days I take the closest bike to the door that has air in the tires. Decisions about charged lights or studded tires sometimes make me take the next bike in line.

bironi
01-25-2018, 11:27 PM
Have to admit I'm a tad confused. I can't figure out of your beef is with the thread in general or just my comment. Guessing just mine. I'm a little slow sometimes so bear with me. Below is as much pertinent data as I can come up with in the time I have.

Context: My road bikes double as commuters. Not sure what else to say...
Weather: Warm, humid mornings & scorching afternoons in summer; cold mornings & chilly-to-warmish afternoons winter. Almost always some wind.
Roads: Mix of 4 lane divided suburb roads, older neighborhood streets & a smattering of industrial roads (non-residential).
Length: 13 miles each way.
Frequency: Avg 2X/week, occasionally 3X.
Type of job: Tooling/Process Engineer - 1/3 of the day on the shop floor, 2/3 behind a desk. Shop is a/c but not great, office good a/c.
Parking: No designated bike parking, I have a place close to the back door with storage for a pair of athletic shorts (can't walk thru bldg in Lycra) & sneakers.
Shower/Clothing storage: Shower next to weight room, clothes storage in locker room.

If I missed anything please advise. Sorry to have wasted y'all's time with my original post.

Red,
Sorry that you were singled out. I think Bob was just trying to make his point with your post as the example. Many posters respond to this type of thread without giving the pertinent details. I agree with Bob that it is much more helpful to readers to have the context included. Not everyone lives in the same climate with the same road conditions, traffic, terrain, etc.
Nice of you to fill in the details.
Thanks,
Enjoy the commute in any way you choose at any moment.
Byron

mt2u77
01-26-2018, 03:21 AM
An occasional commute on the road bike on a bluebird day is a nice change of pace. Same route, same bike, day after day, year after year can get a bit boring, so you have to mix it up.

As a general concern though, I believe in a purpose built bike. For my commuting, that means dependability, low maintenance, safety, and all weather capability come before speed and a sublime ride. I need a bike that can take fenders and a rack, can fit studded tires, that is equipped to pull a Burley (up hill, both ways!), and that absolutely won’t flat. I have a hard time limit between kid drop off and my 1st meeting, so I’d rather trade 2 min on average to avoid the +10 for a flat. None of these requirements fit with my finest riding road bikes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

biker72
01-26-2018, 05:36 AM
All 3 of my bikes have been used as commuters. I wear regular work clothes on the bike and have very secure storage at work.

The only problem is the Texas summers. Even at 6am the temperature can be 85 degrees with some humidity.

soulspinner
01-26-2018, 05:50 AM
I don't but I could if it were comfortable in regular shorts. Should try and start walking.

A buddy of mine who is a former state and national champion road racer for 10+ years rode to and from work. And he worked 3rd shift. It was 25 miles away one way. Fittest 60 yr old you'd ever meet. And he could still hammer on the road. Used to put 20 and 30 yr old kids in their place on rides and in races.

He used to use a Softride road bike. The regular round tubed one. Carried a backpack with his gear. Did it five days a week.

My brother commuted 34 per day 5 days a week and it was not flat. road bike. I commuted a shorter distance and tried to do everything I could on a bike instead of my car. road bike. There were no commuter bikes ,fat bikes, gravel bikes.

Marc40a
01-26-2018, 08:32 AM
I commute on a steel tourer with panniers, fenders and a handlebar bag, 26 miles roundtrip.

I'm more apt to do a group ride after work with the tourer than I am to do a commute with the road bike.

With the tourer I have my showering supplies, lunch or lunches for the week, clothes, etc right with me. Lock the bike up, hit the showers, head upstairs to work -easy peasy.

tuxbailey
01-26-2018, 08:48 AM
I have a dedicated commuter bike with fender and everything.

But I rarely ride it. It is almost 20 miles each way and it is on MUP so I would rather ride the nice bike. Plus at work there are places to lock your bike with a badge access cage around it, so that factors in the decision.

And I carry a backpack with the change of clothes too, sometime a laptop in it.