PDA

View Full Version : OT and most likely TMI

Lifelover
08-30-2006, 12:09 PM
I just downed my first dose of meds in prep for my early morning colonoscopy :butt:

I'm not happy about the whole thing and just needed to vent.

Tell me it will be ok and I will be back on the bike by tomorrow afternoon.

shinomaster
08-30-2006, 12:14 PM
you may need a diaper..

wdlewis
08-30-2006, 12:14 PM
Smart move to get the test done although you may be smarting tomorrow.

You have to have a sense of humor to get through the prep. Stake out your own bathroom and find a good book. The post op, for me, was right out of the "Blazing Saddles" campfire/beans scene. Whole room for of middle aged people passing gas (gas is used to inflate the bowels for the test).

Getting back on a bike saddle wasn't what I wanted to do the next day. Hope it goes well.

TimB
08-30-2006, 12:20 PM
Well, the pre-meds helped me 'vent' and then some.
and post-op the windows needed a vent..

Next day I was fine-and-dandy...could have ridden had I had the time.

72gmc
08-30-2006, 12:23 PM
35 year-old man here with tender ears. you all are making me dread the future.

all i can offer is this, lifelover: you will be ok. and you will be watching "stars and watercarriers" or "the hard road" by tomorrow afternoon. play up your convalescence; at least get a milkshake or ice cream cone out of it.

dave thompson
08-30-2006, 12:24 PM
I just downed my first dose of meds in prep for my early morning colonoscopy :butt:

The preparation for the procedure is far worse than the procedure itself. You will be just fine afterwards, though very hungry.

tch
08-30-2006, 01:17 PM
The preparation for the procedure is far worse than the procedure itself. You will be just fine afterwards, though very hungry.
For two days (before/after) just give up thinking about riding. It's not a big deal.
Been-there-done-that very recently.

Sandy
08-30-2006, 01:26 PM
My brother-in-law just had a colonoscopy a couple of days ago, and he went out later in the day per his normal routine. I had both a colonoscopy and an endoscomy at the same time, several years ago, and I felt perfectly normal (whatever that is) before I even left the office.

Sandy

Skrawny
08-30-2006, 04:27 PM
on the plus side, they (should) give you goooooood drugs...
And you can pass gass with reckless abandon.
(that is because they fill you with CO2, it shouldn't smell bad)
-s

Lifelover
08-30-2006, 06:26 PM
The afternoon dose was not as bad as I had thought. I had assumed I would feel more as if I had a bad flu.

Just took the evening dose. Can't be much left so I will assume it won't be that bad either.

I am a little hungry. Water, Jello and Ensure don't do much for that.

If all goes well by around 10:00 AM I'll be at the SlackDonalds drive thru getting a cup of coffee and a Bacon,egg and chz biscuit. :banana:

Thanks for all the replies. It really did help.

Lifelover
08-30-2006, 06:30 PM

all i can offer is this, lifelover: you will be ok. and you will be watching "stars and watercarriers" or "the hard road" by tomorrow afternoon. play up your convalescence; at least get a milkshake or ice cream cone out of it.

The future maybe closer than you think. I'm only 41. I made the mistake of complaining to my family doctor about occasional irritations that I assumed were related to long pulls in the saddle. Even though he and the Gastroenterlogist (sp?) felt there were no problems they decided better safe than sorry.

Gotta run!

rwsaunders
08-30-2006, 07:02 PM
Be nervous only if the doc sends flowers to you the following day.

kong79
08-31-2006, 12:36 PM
I'm 45 and have had two of them. They gave me the gallon jug of industrial strength cleaner outer. Started drinking it at 4:00 pm the day before the procedure and had to drink a glass every 30 minutes until gone. They knocked me out for the procedures so the only thing I remember was them rolling me over on my side, asking me to count down from 10, and then waking up. Like everyone else said, the first few trips to the john weren't pretty, but because of the sedation, I was told absolutly no work for the day. I had the first one last year at 44 and they found a pre-cancerous pollup so now I get to have one every year for the next couple of years. Oh Joy! I guess it's better than the alternative if they hadn't found it.

TimD
08-31-2006, 12:52 PM

Assuming you don't wake up in the middle of it, as I did. :crap:

ClutchCargo
08-31-2006, 01:06 PM
on the plus side, they (should) give you goooooood drugs...
And you can pass gass with reckless abandon.
(that is because they fill you with CO2, it shouldn't smell bad)
-s

they gave me some demerol and then put an oxygen mask on me. all I remember is thinking, "Man, this oxygen is good stuff!" :)

catulle
08-31-2006, 01:46 PM

I've been doing that for years now. The first time around, I started asking when would we start with the whole thing when it was actually over and I had just woken up from the way cool stuff they give you to put you out. Yeah, I guess the worst part is taking the evil liquid they give you to purge you, but other than that it is a totally uneventful affair (he, he, he...)

You'll be fine. Hey, you might even like it. Seriously now, it is a smart thing you're doing. My dad died from colon cancer. He never had a colonoscopy until it was too late. God bless. I hope eveything works out just fine.

Ken Robb
08-31-2006, 01:53 PM
Blue Cross has decided that general anesthesia is not necessary for this procedure as they can save the cost of an extra doctor to administer it. They will allow a "muscle relaxant". Here kid; try this Kool-Aid.

wdlewis
08-31-2006, 02:02 PM
The nurse prepping me said I had a good doctor, he gave lots of drugs. He asked me if I wanted to watch on the TV screen set up in the procedure room. I told him I didn't even want to know I was there much less watch. Felt something big going into the area of interest (his) and woke up some time later feeling bloated and overly KY'd.

Lifelover
08-31-2006, 02:21 PM
They gave be something via IV and that is pretty much all I remember.

I had a tough time waking up at first but after a few more minutes all was fine.

Was not up to eating like I thought I would be right after but I did stop for 2 plain biscuits and some coffee.

Slapping a cheap pep pizza in the oven now for the kids and me and Mrs. Lifelover out to dinner!

The whole think was much easier than I thought :banana:

CNY rider
08-31-2006, 02:37 PM
The nurse prepping me said I had a good doctor, he gave lots of drugs. He asked me if I wanted to watch on the TV screen set up in the procedure room. I told him I didn't even want to know I was there much less watch. Felt something big going into the area of interest (his) and woke up some time later feeling bloated and overly KY'd.

You didn't feel his hands on your shoulders, did you?

Just checking ;)

BumpyintheBurgh
08-31-2006, 03:27 PM
Had one last month after experienceing some lower abdominal pain. The prep is the worst, especially if you have to drink the gallon of Golytley, 8oz. every 10 minutes until fininshed. Those last couple of drinks made me want to puke. If you're lucky the doc will prescribe the phospo-soda prep which is only 3 glasses of liquid but it doesn't clean you out as well as the other stuff.
The procedure was a breeze, didn't feel a thing with a mild intravenous sedative. And the results showed a clean colon.
Subsequent tests including an ultrasound, a CT scan and a Doppler ultrasound to find the source of the pain have identified a hepatic artery aneurysm on the artery going into the liver. So it looks like I'll be off my bike for awhile. I'm going to the vascular surgeon on Tuesday for an exam to determine if I need surgery. It's scary knowing that if the aneurysm ruptures that I'll have a life threating problem but apparently the condition has been there for sometime.
So guys, if you're over 50 or have a family history of colon cancer get a colonoscopy. And if you have any aches or pains that can't be be explained by your activity or don't go away, please have it checked out. You just never know.

OldDog
08-31-2006, 03:53 PM
48 and have one done already and another in the near future. No big deal.

On the down side for me, my 81 year old mom has/had colon cancer. Had a resection of 6" in February. Cancer had worked through the lining and ended up in glands. Just this week she finished chemo. She has yet to be determined cancer free, we will know in a few weeks.

Never be afraid or hesitate to get scoped.

Skrawny
08-31-2006, 04:09 PM

No worries. Assuming you don't develop any new, troublesome, symptoms you are 15 years away from a screening colo. They will likely have something a lot less...uh... invasive by then, such as the capsule enteroscopy (camera in a pill) or CT "virtual colonoscopy." Likely, no matter what they use to look at the colon, however, you (we) will still need the "prep" the day before... :beer:

-s

72gmc
08-31-2006, 04:42 PM
They will likely have something a lot less...uh... invasive by then

i'm holding out for star trek technology. some guy in a silly pajama suit stands ten feet away, lifts a handheld device, it makes an electronic whistle, and he has a perfect reading on my colon. while i sit on the couch and watch college football...