PDA

View Full Version : The joys of a strong commuting partner

znfdl
08-30-2006, 11:13 AM
Last week I was doing my morning commute along the W&OD bike path from Vienna, Va. to Washington DC. I was doing a medium intensity interval (26mph) along one section, when another cyclist caught me from behind. We started talking and determined that we had an almost identical commute. I did my second commute with my new commuting partner (Kurt) and it has been fun. Riding with someone else (especially a strong rider like Kurt) has knocked almost 10 minutes off of my 21 mile commute. Instead of keeping a nice 18-19mph pace when I was riding solo, I now maintain a pace in the low to mid 20s. The pace is steady and we do not attack each other. I look forward to getting stronger and faster again. Anybody else have good commuting partners?

TimB
08-30-2006, 12:33 PM
My commute is primarly on 4 lanes roads with a 45mph speed limit. Last week I got to ride with a few dump trucks and assorted other heavy cats. My favorite training partner though was the moving van (i mean truck, 18-wheel monster) that came up behind me and downshifted as I was going up a hill - That was all the motivation I needed to keep up the pace....

rePhil
08-30-2006, 04:16 PM
Especially during this time of year in Florida. After working with kids all day my goals on the ride home is to relax. I don't have a computer on my commuter and I just want to enjoy the ride. The heat, humidity and the 5 1/2 mile stretch into the afternoon sea breeze help me accomplish my goals.
My rides in the morning are same. Nice and easy. I have not come across one other commuter during the last 3 years.