PDA

View Full Version : Oh lucky man....

paredown
07-04-2017, 09:25 AM
Went for a decent ride this AM--first time I felt comfortable on a bike for quite a while, although I was a little tired from house painting and many upanddownladder trips..

A moment of reflection--I am a lucky guy, since I appear to have recovered from my health scare over the winter, and the strength is coming back.

I'm starting to understand why the old-timers (I'm getting close) used to urge me to treasure every day on the bike.

Happy 4th, everyone!:beer:

rustychisel
07-04-2017, 09:32 AM
Good for you. Thought this was going to be a thread about Emerson Lake & Palmer. :beer:

Tickdoc
07-04-2017, 09:55 AM
Went for a decent ride this AM--first time I felt comfortable on a bike for quite a while, although I was a little tired from house painting and many upanddownladder trips..

A moment of reflection--I am a lucky guy, since I appear to have recovered from my health scare over the winter, and the strength is coming back.

I'm starting to understand why the old-timers (I'm getting close) used to urge me to treasure every day on the bike.

Nice grateful post and glad you are feeling better.

Mzilliox
07-04-2017, 10:22 AM
happy 4th

thwart
07-04-2017, 11:22 AM

Glad to hear you're back out and had a good ride!

As a certified old-timer, I'm no longer taking any time on the bike for granted. Whether that's 'wisdom' or just plain common sense, I'm not sure...

bobswire
07-04-2017, 11:36 AM
Glad to hear you're back out and had a good ride!

As a certified old-timer, I'm no longer taking any time on the bike for granted. Whether that's 'wisdom' or just plain common sense, I'm not sure...

True that, at 72 I'm having the best times of the life on a bike and feel what I may have lost due to age is more than made up for in my appreciation and involvement in the moment.

AngryScientist
07-04-2017, 11:48 AM
cycling is like the fountain of youth.

i have met "old timers" who are lifetime cyclists who always look much younger than they actually are.

staying fit and keeping the weight under control undoubtedly help.

cheers and happy independence day to you all!

AngryScientist
07-04-2017, 11:49 AM
by the way - how do you know when you're an "old timer" ??:D

thwart
07-04-2017, 11:56 AM
by the way - how do you know when you're an "old timer" ??:D
Trust me. You'll know.

:D

54ny77
07-04-2017, 12:04 PM
i hear ya.

got my 4th ride in today after a bit of a recent medical issue. happy to just stay two wheels up, feel the wind in face or at the back, and enjoy the mechanical whir of gears.

paredown
07-05-2017, 07:09 AM
Trust me. You'll know.

:D

I'm in denial--so I claim I am not there yet, even though I'm at official retirement age.

We lost a dear friend yesterday--she passed away at ninety-four, and still living independently (with a friend who checked in and helped her do her main meal each day). No protracted or lingering illness, although she was getting rather frail.

Still though--sounds a lot better than spending your declining years battling some preventable illness--and if steady exercise, good diet and a healthy outlook gets you that, I'm for it.

paredown
07-05-2017, 07:09 AM
Good for you. Thought this was going to be a thread about Emerson Lake & Palmer. :beer:
Well, that was the song that ended up in my head as I was cruising home!

texbike
07-05-2017, 07:29 AM

Congratulations on your recovery! I'm glad to hear of the incredible progress that you've made.

As for keeping the wheels turning, we have a local rider that's well into his 80s that we see out on his bike quite regularly. He started out riding in his teens. It's definitely an inspiration to see him still enjoying a sport that he's engaged in for over 70 years.

Well, that was the song that ended up in my head as I was cruising home!

Not a bad song to start the day with - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89g1P_J40JA .

Texbike

oldpotatoe
07-05-2017, 08:36 AM

Good for you..As an 'old timer'..I see geezers 'about my age', who can barely walk, shuffle around, way older than their years..way less days 'ahead' than behind...

Keith A
07-05-2017, 10:25 AM
paredown -- So glad to hear this great news about your ride and improving health...I hope things to continue to improve.