PDA

View Full Version : NYC bike shops

Clydesdale
07-03-2017, 10:00 AM
I'll be there for a week mostly in Manhattan and wondered if there were some local shops that would be good to check out. Don't need anything, just a chance to get a cycling fix in a new place. Thanks.

Drmojo
07-03-2017, 11:02 AM
Prince streetalso Smimano has cool place on Houston and west broadway

uber
07-03-2017, 11:47 AM
Check out NYC Velo. Lots of Pegs at the east side location.

Monthly Payment
07-03-2017, 02:38 PM
A little out of manhattan but I still recommend R&A in Brooklyn for people that want to see the latest Out of my price range superbikes. One of the few with a great inventory to see in stock. Plus it's been there forever.

johnmdesigner
07-03-2017, 08:35 PM
An interesting shop on the Bowery across from the New Museum has urban bikes with cork grips and shiny parts on them.
Plus you can get some good pastrami a few blocks away.

sales guy
07-03-2017, 09:51 PM
Acme in Brooklyn,.
Maglia Rosa in Brooklyn
R&A in Brooklyn
Sids in NYC
718 in Brooklyn
Red Lantern in Brooklyn
Toga in Tribeca
Echelon in NYC
Strictly in Fort Lee, NJ
NYC Velo in NYC

All are excellent shops. Maglia Rosa has incredible pastries and coffee(so i'm told on the coffee). Acme and Jonathan, one of the best fitters in the country. R&A is just insane!!! The stuff they have in stock...OMG!!!!

SlowPokePete
07-04-2017, 05:19 AM
Bicycle Habitat?

http://bicyclehabitat.com

SPP

CDM
07-06-2017, 04:53 AM
Conrad's , in Tudor City

julseas
07-06-2017, 07:18 AM
Maglia Rosa and Red Lantern, both in Brooklyn, have a nice cafe vibe. So does Rapha, though it's not an LBS. Rapha and NYC Velo both have shop rides, too. I've always liked Ride Brooklyn, too -- is full of really nice and helpful people.

R&A has amazing bikes, though I've found people there to skew snobby.

MagicHour
07-06-2017, 08:19 AM
This is pretty comprehensive list, didn't know about Maglia Rosa will check them out. Note Gotham(Toga) in Tribeca is closed (the rent is too damn high down here :mad:).

Jonathan@Acme is the jam! - did my fitting in April, very happy with results.

Acme in Brooklyn,.
Maglia Rosa in Brooklyn
R&A in Brooklyn
Sids in NYC
718 in Brooklyn
Red Lantern in Brooklyn
Toga in Tribeca Closed but they still have an UWS location
Echelon in NYC
Strictly in Fort Lee, NJ
NYC Velo in NYC
Ride Brooklyn Williamsburg location is pretty good

All are excellent shops. Maglia Rosa has incredible pastries and coffee(so i'm told on the coffee). Acme and Jonathan, one of the best fitters in the country. R&A is just insane!!! The stuff they have in stock...OMG!!!!

Bob Ross
07-06-2017, 10:31 AM
R&A has amazing bikes, though I've found people there to skew snobby.

You're being kind.

thegunner
07-06-2017, 11:24 AM
Acme in Brooklyn,.
Maglia Rosa in Brooklyn
R&A in Brooklyn
Sids in NYC
718 in Brooklyn
Red Lantern in Brooklyn
Toga in Tribeca
Echelon in NYC
Strictly in Fort Lee, NJ
NYC Velo in NYC

there's one shop on this list that i refuse to go to anymore.

who would suggest that i buy a NOS scott addict to replace a moots? they said i was being held back by how much heavier the titanium was. can't take that seriously.

julseas
07-06-2017, 11:54 AM
You're being kind.

maybe they're lurking somewhere here and i'm trying to be generous. but yeah. they'd probably tell you to can a moots for a scott.

thegunner
07-06-2017, 12:26 PM
maybe they're lurking somewhere here and i'm trying to be generous. but yeah. they'd probably tell you to can a moots for a scott.

haha, it's a different shop :beer:

AngryScientist
07-06-2017, 12:33 PM
i've said this before, but i still think NYC is the greatest city in the world. There is SO much to do and see here, that unless you need something in a pinch or need work done on a bike, there is nothing remarkable enough about any of the NYC bike shops to bother stopping in for. if you're in the city for a limited amount of time, there are many better ways to spend the precious hours.

IMO, of course!

sales guy
07-06-2017, 12:53 PM
i've said this before, but i still think NYC is the greatest city in the world. There is SO much to do and see here, that unless you need something in a pinch or need work done on a bike, there is nothing remarkable enough about any of the NYC bike shops to bother stopping in for. if you're in the city for a limited amount of time, there are many better ways to spend the precious hours.

IMO, of course!

I agree to a point. Many other amazing things to do in NYC. But I still love ChiTown more!

thegunner
07-06-2017, 01:47 PM

IMO, of course!

waittttt, NYC is the best if you need something in a pinch. there's at least 5 places that can / will do it.

galgal
07-06-2017, 07:51 PM

IMO, of course!

Entirely concur with Angry. That being said, I'll put in a plug for my two neighborhood bike shops in NYC: Continuum Cycles in East Village, King Kog in Greenpoint. Don't have the razzle dazzle of R&A and NYC Velo - nor the preciousness. Very nice unpretentious and knowledgeable people to talk bikes with, and usually some really nice vintage bikes to pore over.

sales guy
07-06-2017, 08:04 PM
Entirely concur with Angry. That being said, I'll put in a plug for my two neighborhood bike shops in NYC: Continuum Cycles in East Village, King Kog in Greenpoint. Don't have the razzle dazzle of R&A and NYC Velo - nor the preciousness. Very nice unpretentious and knowledgeable people to talk bikes with, and usually some really nice vintage bikes to pore over.

I forgot about those two. Especially King Kog. Cool little shop. Especially if you're looking for old school track/fixie parts. And they usually have some cool older frames in.

NYC has had a ton of great shops. Some super wild incredible ones. One had a swim pool in it to test out wetsuits. Some places have found the mix and it works. I think that's why there have been so many open and close. they never found the mix or of course due to family issues which is always sad to see.

verbs4us
07-07-2017, 06:13 AM
For bikes--no cafelatteccino fru-fru--try Chelsea Bikes, west 26th off 6th. They have hand-cut steel lugs in the window. The owner builds frames. You get the picture.

moonhoo
07-07-2017, 06:23 PM
Here are some leads:

-- Grab a coffee and watch TDF highlights at Rapha in Soho.
-- Rent a Citibike (that's our bike share) and do a lap or two in Central Park or Prospect Park. Prospect Park happens to be a few blocks from R&A and a short ride from Maglia Rosa.

If you're looking for... something different? Do the Time's Up Moonlight ride on Friday night:

http://times-up.org/rides/moonlight-ride-central-park

johnmdesigner
07-07-2017, 09:35 PM
Take the #7 express to Flushing, Queens.
Walk to East Lake Seafood on Prince Street.
Order 2 lobsters with scallion and ginger sauce and the fried flounder.
Take a walk around the neighborhood after.
It will be the best experience you have ever had.