PDA

View Full Version : Extended pedal axels???

Satellite
07-02-2017, 11:50 PM
Anyone riding the extended pedal axels and why? How do you know if you need them? Once you determine you need them can you switch between bikes that don't have them? This could be an expensive proposition for me.

ultraman6970
07-03-2017, 12:04 AM
Are we talking about this????

https://www.stevehoggbikefitting.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/PEDAL-EXTENDERS-20mm-25mm-and-30mm-500x197.jpg

ultraman6970
07-03-2017, 12:09 AM
If the answer is yes then hmm...some guys pronate so bad that not even putting a lot of support in the arches and heels they can fix the problem and since the shoes/feet are in the position 2:50 PM... then the heel and the ankle might touch the stays and the crankset that the only option is to move the pedal out a little bit... but in general those adapters are to correct just insane posture problems in the feet. But all depends of what the problem is because usually you have more than one way to fix problems of posture.

Satellite
07-03-2017, 12:10 AM
No I picked up a set of D/A9000 with the plus 4mm extended axel. Haven't tried them yet. Everyone is always worried about Q factor. That seems out the window with the extended axel pedals.

dekindy
07-03-2017, 05:55 AM
I had two different fitters suggest that I might need them. Feel good so I ride with them. Don't know why you would have a problem switching between bikes that do not have them. Couldn't you switch them between bikes easily?

Satellite
07-03-2017, 06:48 AM
I had two different fitters suggest that I might need them. Feel good so I ride with them. Don't know why you would have a problem switching between bikes that do not have them. Couldn't you switch them between bikes easily?

What prompted the fitter to suggest you need to try them?

Changing pedals between steeds is certainly annoying.

With my S&S bike the two worst parts are the chain and pedals. The chain is all greesey and the pedal removal I always bash my chainring usually a nuckle bitter. You would think by now I would get the pedal removal down?

Veloo
07-03-2017, 06:58 AM
Are we talking just a few mm or a lot of mm?
If just a few then a trip to the hardware store is a cheap way to experiment with washers. I did that on the trainer and decided to go in the other direction with shorter axles.

R3awak3n
07-03-2017, 07:21 AM
Are we talking just a few mm or a lot of mm?
If just a few then a trip to the hardware store is a cheap way to experiment with washers. I did that on the trainer and decided to go in the other direction with shorter axles.

its a 4mm difference.

john903
07-03-2017, 09:53 AM
Interesting timing on this one. I met a rider in the shop the other day who uses the 25mm pedal extenders like the one in the photo above. I asked how do you know you need them? He was about 65 years young and has had the same bike for 17 years and has never had any fit problems. Several years ago he started getting knee pain on the outboard side of the right knee at the knee joint. He tried adjusting fit, lower gears, nothing. He put these pedal extenders on and with in 10 miles the pain was gone.
I think before I would try them I would consult some fitters and talk to people like you are doing them try. If you are having knee problems they are relatively inexpensive ($65.00 a pair.) If you are not having knee problems I probably would not use them in case they then caused problems.
Anyway have a great day.

Ti Designs
07-03-2017, 10:30 AM
Everyone is always worried about Q factor.

Who is this everyone guy???

Let's say you're 4'10" and a 26" belt needs extra holes to hold your pants up. If you're using Shimano cranks, you use their standard bottom bracket and the spindle length is the same as everyone else - that seem right to anyone? The hip, knee and ankle are all somewhat defective by design, poor alignment is a disaster. Let's start with the ankle. The top bone of the foot has a dome on which the tibia pivots, supported on all sides by connective tissue. That works OK if the force comes from somewhere at or near the top of that dome, othewise you're stressing the connective tissue. The knee rotates on two condiles, move the foot over to one side or the other to the point of running on just one and you've just created a water pump with the other side. The hip is a ball and socket, do a quick google search on a condition called FAI.

I keep the Ultegra pedals with +4mm in stock all the time. I also stock SpeedPlay Zeros in longer and shorter lengths. I've been trying to get Shimano to offer SPD pedals with longer spindles for years.

Satellite
07-03-2017, 10:42 AM
LOL so if your 5'11" and have suspenders to hold up your Mr. Koolaid shaped pants. I might consider the +4mm axel length? Thanks Ti Designs for the medical lesson very thoural. Seams the simple answer is finish building the bike and go out and ride them.

john903
07-03-2017, 12:02 PM
Thanks Ti Designs I was hoping to hear your response on this. You make a good point on moving to far out. Now one is creating other problems ( if I am reading this right.) I always enjoy your insight and over the years have incorporated your pedaling advice,videos,readings into my riding with notable benefits.
Thank You

MikeD
07-03-2017, 02:17 PM
Anyone riding the extended pedal axels and why? How do you know if you need them? Once you determine you need them can you switch between bikes that don't have them? This could be an expensive proposition for me.

I'd say don't. My bike fitter put one on my right pedal to help knee tracking in a straight up and down motion. The result was knee pain. It's a huge amount that these spacers move the pedal out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Pastashop
07-03-2017, 08:48 PM
Some pedals and some cleats allow for this. SPDs and Look... and I actually have some old Look Delta with adjustable Q factor. Cipo signature worlds edition! :-)

Clydesdale
07-03-2017, 08:55 PM
I'm on the wider dura ace pedals on my Cannondale because the isis cranks flare out in the middle and I rubbed then slightly on standard pedals. No issues using them at all.

BSBD
07-04-2017, 12:05 AM
I run a +1/4" spindle set on my Speedplay pedals.