PDA

View Full Version : Yoga for Cyclists

dbrk
08-30-2006, 09:01 AM
The weekend after the Finger Lakes Ramble---and we think we had about 70 people in the house for dinner on Saturday night---we had one of our yoga retreats: five days with some 45 folks from all over the country who come to learn about history, texts, traditions, and even more about bending over and breathing. My students are almost all professional yoga teachers and devoted to serious learning...they'd have to be because I'm really not as funny as I think I am (ask my children, wife, or dogs). One of them sent me the link to which I direct you...actually worth the few minutes it takes.

Being the sort of teacher/professional scholar about religions/spiritualities/etc.atmoimhoyo that deeply dislikes almost everything that is overly serious, sanctimonious, and otherwise mp with piety I am always ready to pull the yoga mat or any other prayer rug from under. Sure, you don't want to be too offensive 'cause people will blow you up, weep uncontrollably, or call you names if you trample on their sacred cows, holy stuff, or magical beliefs that suspend common sense, but what the heck, someone has to do it...

So in the spirit of understanding how yoga can help your cycling, to say nothing of your other prospects, I submit to you the wisdom of Hank Hill, and if that isn't enough, Johnny Depp who apparently knows how to take a joke too. Look here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DTLsqV5SsQ

dbrk
School starts here next Tuesday, so I ask, do you want the likes of me subverting your child's mind?

Too Tall
08-30-2006, 09:38 AM
Giggle.

....no, however my minds child...yes :)

Nice work Dgls.

Serpico
08-30-2006, 09:47 AM

School starts here next Tuesday, so I ask, do you want the likes of me subverting your child's mind?

easily the funniest thing I've ever read here

justinf
08-30-2006, 09:59 AM
"yogis do not desire control. . .they control desire."
nice one mate

shoe
08-30-2006, 11:34 AM
wow are there really that many babes that go to yoga...ya know i feel back pain sometimes...where was that filmed at jivamukti or is that inappropriate(oh wait sometimes i am inappropriate)....funny video....i hope that is the first thing your students have to watch before the lectures begin...dave

tch
08-30-2006, 11:36 AM
about why this illustrates that some of the smartest, most insightful, and even humane (as well as funny) stuff written today can be found on KotH or the Simpson's -- but I won't. It wouldn't be appropriate for a college English teacher....
But, NICE LINK Douglas!

Bruce K
08-30-2006, 11:41 AM
Has Aimee seen that yet? ;) :D

Somehow, Douglas, it just seems right that you posted that one.

As for your other question, I think my high school senior would be a challenge for anyone trying to subvert his thinking. :crap:

BK

Ray
08-30-2006, 11:49 AM
"The winds are leaving pose" portion reminds me of what was easily the most embarassing moment of my adult life. In a Pilates class, but could have just as easily have been a yoga class. Yes, they're loaded with babes, fit ones generally, and you get lots of oppotunities to stick yerbutt straight up in the air where all sorts of bad things can happen and at EXTREMELY high volume.

But it helped me, uhh, control desire.

-Ray

Ken Robb
08-30-2006, 11:53 AM
I think that if you have a HS Senior who thinks goodonya!

stevep
08-30-2006, 05:36 PM
dbrk

if i send my kid out there she will put her time on e-bay and end up w/ a 650b tournesol or something or maybe tie herself up in knots and never be able to ride again... i sent her to virginia to law school instead.
not this time dbrk, not this time...

OldDog
08-30-2006, 09:49 PM
My mat says "nice underware". Door mat that is.

Tailwinds
08-30-2006, 11:37 PM
Douglas, aren't you coming to Boulder soon (to Om Time)?