PDA

View Full Version : OT: Uggg. T-Mobile

false_Aest
07-01-2017, 04:58 PM
<rant>

So I've been with T-Mobile for 13 years. (Marriages last, on average, 8 years in the US. Car ownership is 6. House ownership is 5.9. so my Googlebox tells me)

I just got a notification from Virgin Mobile that they're doing unlimited talk/text/data for $20/mo less than T-Mobile. On top of that, if you buy an iPhone (6 or 7) through them you get the first year for $1.00.

Quick math tells me that I'm essentially saving $100 this year (and I get a new phone) and then I save $240 each year after that.

So I do the responsible thing: I reach out to T-Mobile to see if they can throw me a bone . . . because 13 years is a long time.

Transferred 4x. On hold for 53 minutes. Only to have a snotty dude say, "Yeah, thanks for being with us for so long but we can't do anything." I ask, why was I transferred so many times. He doesn't know. I ask if he is the manager the previous person said she'd talk to. He said no. I ask why did it take so long for someone to tell me "No." He said he doesn't know.

I say, "Cool. Now I'm annoyed enough to not only cancel my plan but to tell everyone I know that has T-Mobile about Virgin's offer. He basically says, "Go ahead."

I reach out to T-Mobile via Twitter. 4 hours back and forth with them. Ultimately another "No." (I guess I really wasn't expecting any different). But here's the thing(s):

1. I work in customer service/tech support. I promise you, there is always something that can be done. I have literally overnighted a bicycle to a parent because it was the kid's 10th birthday and the frame was damaged in shipping. I've warrantied bags that were clearly abused because someone was just so stoked to have one of our products. Anytime I've been called on it and asked for a reason: "Customer service = customer loyalty."

2. If the answer is definitively "NO" tell me that up front. Tell me that within 20 minutes. I'll probably be upset but I wont be as upset as ---->

3. I would be after wasting hours or having some snot tell me "Sorry SOL."

4. The only way I would've stayed with T-Mobile is for them to match the plan or offer me something of equivalent $ value. Before today's experience, if Virgin ended up being a P I T A, I would've considered going back to T-Mobile. Instead, T-Mobile will be the last company I'd consider doing business with.

5. I'm now annoyed enough to let my friends/family know about my experience. Again, hearing "No" is one thing. Wasting my time is another.

----

Other parts: I broke everything down for the customer service reps. Down to the penny. The last rep said, "You have really done your research!" Then proceeded to ask me, "Have you been able to view Virgin Mobile's coverage map? That will be a super important factor for that decision!"

Maybe I'm looking for a fight now but . . . If I broke it down to the penny don't you think I would've checked coverage as well?

ok.

</rant>

ftf
07-01-2017, 05:05 PM
Virgin mobile works on the sprint network, NO WAY am I going back to that.

Good luck!

Edit: As far as I can tell tmobile is 40 a month for 4 lines per line, and Virgin is a flat 50 per line no matter how many lines you have? We got on tmobile when 4 lines were 25 a line. How many lines do you have? For me Virgin mobile would be much more expensive, plus sprint sucks. SUCKS! Never had an issue with tmobile personally.

Cicli
07-01-2017, 05:16 PM
My company oays my cell phone bill. I have had them all. Currently, Verizon. I will happily pay (someone elses money) for better cell service. Would stay with them even if it was my bill.

Gsinill
07-01-2017, 05:29 PM
Got the same offer via email.
Looked into it, checked their coverage and decided to stay with AT&T despite paying a premium.

false_Aest
07-01-2017, 05:35 PM
Virgin mobile works on the sprint network, NO WAY am I going back to that.

Good luck!

Edit: As far as I can tell tmobile is 40 a month for 4 lines per line, and Virgin is a flat 50 per line no matter how many lines you have? We got on tmobile when 4 lines were 25 a line. How many lines do you have? For me Virgin mobile would be much more expensive, plus sprint sucks. SUCKS! Never had an issue with tmobile personally.

Hmm. I didn't know that Virgin leases(?) Sprint's network. That's definitely a consideration.

I only have 1 line and it's currently $50 for unlimited talk/text/2gb data. I've had coverage issues with T-Mobile in the past even in the Los Angeles area. Going out of the area for me either means traveling internationally (China, Mex. Vietnam, Taiwan) or going to the mountains/desert.

If I had issues getting coverage in the LA area I'd be annoyed for sure.

ftf
07-01-2017, 05:35 PM
My company oays my cell phone bill. I have had them all. Currently, Verizon. I will happily pay (someone elses money) for better cell service. Would stay with them even if it was my bill.

I'd totally switch to verizon, but tmobile works great and we got in a the right moment, 100 dollar a month vs double for Verizon.

Ralph
07-01-2017, 06:09 PM
I'm switching to Consumer cellular. Using unlocked phone. Much cheaper for me. Maybe not for everyone. Depending on your usage. At first I just compared AT&T, Verizon, T Mobile, Sprint, etc. Then on the advice of some on here....started looking at Consumer Cellular.

ftf
07-01-2017, 06:21 PM
Hmm. I didn't know that Virgin leases(?) Sprint's network. That's definitely a consideration.

No actually sprint owns virgin outright.

paredown
07-01-2017, 07:11 PM
FWIW, I was on a Virgin/HTC for the past few years. Other than the desire to brick my phone with one too many Android upgrades, I have no complaints with coverage...but this is metro NY, and it definitely improved as I owned the phone...

Currently on Boost--since I got a hand-me-down phone.