PDA

View Full Version : Perhaps the most wild claim from a manufacturer yet

jl4069
07-01-2017, 01:30 PM
This Italian titanium mountain bike maker claims by using a special nickel-titanium alloy he can get 37mm of rear vertical travel out of his bikes. And this with no pivots or even bends in the metal. This sounds like the the most unbelievable claim I've yet heard in many years.

Here's the link from bike rumor

https://www.bikerumor.com/2017/06/02/sneak-peek-tred-hedera-grows-psuedo-softail-titanium-xc-29er-mountain-bike/

Tickdoc
07-01-2017, 01:35 PM
Adding nickel allows the titanium to flex and return to its original shape. Have used nickel titanium rotors files for root canals for years. Would take a lot of tube tuning to get the flex right, methinks, and I would question the weld integrity.

jl4069
07-01-2017, 01:53 PM
I agree. Can't imagine these straight tubes bending over 3 centimeters within a straight line. This company will really have to prove this in reality.

Ken Robb
07-01-2017, 02:10 PM
My Hampsten Strada Bianca by MOOTS has YBB rear end. I can see maybe 1" of travel at the YBB unit. There is no pivot. I guess MOOTS might manipulate the chainstays during assembly so they are predisposed to flex upward more readily when encountering bumps under normal rider weight.

FlashUNC
07-01-2017, 02:18 PM
If only we had a regular around here who did more of less that exact thing.

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=161907

jl4069
07-01-2017, 03:33 PM
It does seem like there is the technology out there to make something like the DKS system once again- some way to infuse the seat / chain stays with the kind of damping that the Silicon straps gave yet without resorting to the straps. I bet someone could embed a few materials into one shape that would work; but also it would need to have some bends or pivots or shaped elements in order to work. One thing for certain is that's it's been a way long time since DKS and no one has moved the game on much at all. J

ergott
07-01-2017, 03:49 PM
Good thing they told the metal to only flex in the vertical plane.

miguel
07-01-2017, 04:06 PM
Adding nickel allows the titanium to flex and return to its original shape. Have used nickel titanium rotors files for root canals for years. Would take a lot of tube tuning to get the flex right, methinks, and I would question the weld integrity.

Are you a dentist?

palincss
07-01-2017, 04:08 PM
Are you a dentist?

He'd better be, if he's doing root canals. Be a damned strange hobby for an amateur...

cmbicycles
07-01-2017, 04:12 PM
Are you a dentist?

"No, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night." ;)

cmbicycles
07-01-2017, 04:17 PM
It does seem like there is the technology out there to make something like the DKS system once again- *** One thing for certain is that's it's been a way long time since DKS and no one has moved the game on much at all. J

The Teraplane seatstays seem to be a moving on of the game, at least to my eye (never personally ridden either, but reviews of both are quite favorable)... again the guy responsible for both could provide better insight on the evolution from one to the other. Terraplane Seatstays-Kirk Frameworks (https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwi98oangOnUAhXGMj4KHSwuDegQFggpMAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fkirkframeworks.com%2Fresources%2F technical%2Fterraplane-seat-stays%2F&usg=AFQjCNGyByfXO2mPeNOj66xk4SIRcW72Iw)

jl4069
07-01-2017, 04:21 PM
I've read quite a few posts about the terraplane. As most tell it those stays are more about traction and keeping the wheel planted than about the outright addition of comfort. (They sound very good in this regard) I think that Trek is obviously on to something with there rear suspension domaine, it's just that I think we still need something that adds comfort but also is a real suspension not a rocking seatpost. J

wc1934
07-01-2017, 04:23 PM
He'd better be, if he's doing root canals. Be a damned strange hobby for an amateur...
Haha. Good one!!

cadence90
07-01-2017, 06:48 PM
Are you a dentist?
Wow, if Tickdoc is a dentist.
For all these years I thought "Tickdoc" implied that he is a cardiologist.

ftf
07-01-2017, 06:51 PM
Wow, if Tickdoc is a dentist.
For all these years I thought "Tickdoc" implied that he is a cardiologist.

Maybe he's a cardio that moonlights as a Dentist.

cadence90
07-01-2017, 07:09 PM
Maybe he's a cardio that moonlights as a Dentist.

LOL!

"Money, money, money, money...money!" :D

(This would explain the beautiful Busyman saddles and tape, though. :))