PDA

View Full Version : Taylor in the Times SPOILER

pbarry
07-01-2017, 11:08 AM
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/30/sports/cycling/a-late-debut-in-the-tour-de-france-the-scars-tell-why.html?hpw&rref=sports&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&module=well-region&region=bottom-well&WT.nav=bottom-well&_r=0

Cicli
07-01-2017, 11:19 AM
I love how they blame LA for there only being three Americans in the Tour.
They ought to blame RM. As in Ronald McDonald.

DRZRM
07-01-2017, 12:21 PM
Now I'm no mathematician, but if it is 3 this year, and in 2015 (as stated in the quote) how is their conclusion anything but wrong? Such bad writing.

"That’s because only three of them are competing in the Tour this year, a total that continues a trend. Last year, five Americans raced. In 2015, it was three. Not since 1996, before Lance Armstrong began his improbable run of success, has the number crept so close to zero."

colker
07-01-2017, 12:26 PM
It reads as if LA invented doping on this otherwise fine european sport. LOL.

OTOH... Taylor is looking good as always. All the trendy stuff look natural on him. He is a true fashion icon. I wonder how long untill prime fashion photographers grab him for Vogue pages.

Cicli
07-01-2017, 12:30 PM
It reads as if LA invented doping on this otherwise fine european sport. LOL.

OTOH... Taylor is looking good as always. All the trendy stuff look natural on him. He is a true fashion icon. I wonder how long untill prime fashion photographers grab him for Vogue pages.

He didnt?

Peter P.
07-01-2017, 01:22 PM
I am keenly interested in how he fares in The Tour. He's one cyclist who deserves a good comeback ride.

I think his prologue finish was fine considering his season up 'til now.

Here's hoping he surprises everyone.

pbarry
07-01-2017, 01:44 PM
I am keenly interested in how he fares in The Tour. He's on cyclist who deserves a good comeback ride.

:beer:

oldpotatoe
07-01-2017, 02:28 PM
I am keenly interested in how he fares in The Tour. He's on cyclist who deserves a good comeback ride.

I think Taylor's number 1 goal is to finish...I saw him in the shop about 10 days ago..he is soooo laid back...really good kid, Connie and Davis should and are very proud.

azrider
07-01-2017, 02:35 PM
I think Taylor's number 1 goal is to finish...I saw him in the shop about 10 days ago..he is soooo laid back...really good kid, Connie and Davis should and are very proud.

I personally think the guy is too laid back and lacks killer instinct/mindset to be great racer. Now, I know that his comeback from frightening crash to pro peloton took sh*tload of guts and proves the guy is talented......... however, as a racer, he's usually just pack fodder.

But, much like TVG, I'll once again pull for him and hope for best.

oldpotatoe
07-01-2017, 02:40 PM
I personally think the guy is too laid back and killer instinct/mindset to be great racer. Now, I know that his comeback from frightening crash to pro peloton took sh*tload of guts and proves the guy is talented......... however, as a racer, he's usually just pack fodder.

But, much like TVG, I'll once again pull for him and hope for best.

If yer gonna pull for an American, pull for Taylor. One thing that Taylor doesn't do is whine. 'Pack fodder', ya mean like Sagan and Cav and Greipel and Kittel and.....? Taylor is not a GC guy but a stage winner...imho, of course.

paredown
07-01-2017, 03:00 PM
My leg started hurting just looking at those scars.

Jeebus, that was some crash...

azrider
07-01-2017, 04:07 PM
If yer gonna pull for an American, pull for Taylor. One thing that Taylor doesn't do is whine. 'Pack fodder', ya mean like Sagan and Cav and Greipel and Kittel and.....? Taylor is not a GC guy but a stage winner...imho, of course.

My pack fodder comment was regarding those races that I always thought would play to his strengths: Rhonde, Roubaix, Wevelgem, etc but alas he hasn't really done much of anything after showing so much hope as U23 champ.

As for tour, his best shot at winning stage would be TT (even THAT would have to suit him perfectly) or wining sprint from small breakaway.

colker
07-01-2017, 06:27 PM

I saw him in Rio, on the road race finish area and had the same impression.

saab2000
07-01-2017, 06:37 PM

I like Taylor Phinney and participated in races with his father. His mother was one of the dominant racers of her era. I like the Phinney family. But to refer to Sagan, Cav, Greipel and Kittel as mere comparative pack fodder is almost as good as reading "The Onion", which everyone knows is America's finest news source. :rolleyes:

ftf
07-01-2017, 06:53 PM
I like Taylor Phinney and participated in races with his father. His mother was one of the dominant racers of her era. I like the Phinney family. But to refer to Sagan, Cav, Greipel and Kittel as mere comparative pack fodder is almost as good as reading "The Onion", which everyone knows is America's finest news source. :rolleyes:

Seriously. Glad someone said it.

oldpotatoe
07-02-2017, 07:41 AM
Seriously. Glad someone said it.

100 km left but Taylor in the break, stage 2..2.5 minutes.

http://tiz-cycling.racing/stream/

jr59
07-02-2017, 09:08 AM
I don't think he has a chance, but GO TAYLOR GO!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pbarry
07-02-2017, 09:48 AM
Now with KOM on the road, and off the front!

pbarry
07-02-2017, 10:12 AM
Caught in the last 1/4 mile. What a great ride. :hello:

ftf
07-02-2017, 10:18 AM
100 km left but Taylor in the break, stage 2..2.5 minutes.

http://tiz-cycling.racing/stream/

Didn't win. Kittel on the other hand, DID win.

Kittel, Cav, Sagan, Gripel:1 TP:0

pbarry
07-02-2017, 10:27 AM
Relax, there's two weeks left of the race. You can cheer for Kittel all you want. We're just enjoying a local boy doing well. ;)

Didn't win. Kittel on the other hand, DID win.

ftf
07-02-2017, 10:31 AM
Relax, there's two weeks left of the race. You can cheer for Kittel all you want. We're just enjoying a local boy doing well. ;)

I don't particularly care for Kittel, Gripel, Sagan, and don't like Cavendish at all, however they are better bike racers than Taylor Phinney. Just look at their results.

Americans love TP, simply because he's an American, that's just not a particularly redeeming quality for me.

pbarry
07-02-2017, 10:36 AM
I don't particularly care for Kittel, Gripel, Sagan, and don't like Cavendish at all, however they are better bike racers than Taylor Phinney. Just look at their results.

Americans love TP, simply because he's an American, that's just not a particularly redeeming quality for me.

You missed my point entirely. :bike:

weisan
07-02-2017, 10:42 AM
In my own little world, I have plenty of room to accommodate both Taylor and...Kittel...and Sagan...and Cavendish...and Greipel...

Heck, I even have room to spare for Lance!
:D

corky
07-02-2017, 10:48 AM
TP Polka dot jersey.....whoddathunkit?

Great ride today, would have loved the break to have stuck, always enjoy sprint stages being won by non sprinters.....

enr1co
07-02-2017, 11:02 AM
Fantastic ride/effort by TP today! Was so hoping he and the other rider could have held the pack off. He kept pushing even after the other guy sat up.

paredown
07-02-2017, 11:09 AM
Fantastic ride/effort by TP today! Was so hoping he and the other rider could have held the pack off. He kept pushing even after the other guy sat up.

Agreed--great ride. And worth the gamble--more water on the road, another bobble and pile up in the peleton and he's home. He looked great. Maybe green as well?--from what I saw it was the best ride today.

enr1co
07-02-2017, 11:17 AM

Anyone with the grit and talent to return to elite level riding after shattering a leg is enough redeeming quality for me to love this guy- not just because he's an American.
BTW- Happy July 4th weekend!

pbarry
07-02-2017, 11:23 AM
Well put, thank you.

I'm on-call for the extended weekend, but things were quiet this morning, and I watched the whole stage. If it's non stop action at work from here on, the stage and Taylor's ride will make up for it.

Anyone with the grit and talent to return to elite level riding after shattering a leg is enough redeeming quality for me to love this guy- not just because he's an American.
BTW- Happy July 4th weekend!

oldpotatoe
07-02-2017, 12:31 PM
:confused:Didn't win. Kittel on the other hand, DID win.

Geez...those 4 guys in the last km, TP off the front for 200k+. Sagan like 12th or something. But I guess you win.:confused:

saab2000
07-02-2017, 03:25 PM
I certainly wish him success and his long break was rewarded with the polka dot jersey.

http://cdn.media.cyclingnews.com/2017/07/02/2/sptdw40141_670.jpg

msl819
07-02-2017, 04:10 PM

I am always amused when people point to people who are in the top .01% of people in the world and say they are anything but winners. All they did their entire lives in their respective endeavor is win. I am neither here nor there on TP but ALL those guys who lined up at the start of the TdF are world class. Hats off to them. We would all be DQ'd on time after stage 2.

ftf
07-02-2017, 04:29 PM
I am always amused when people point to people who are in the top .01% of people in the world and say they are anything but winners. All they did their entire lives in their respective endeavor is win. I am neither here nor there on TP but ALL those guys who lined up at the start of the TdF are world class. Hats off to them. We would all be DQ'd on time after stage 2.

Of course Taylor Phinney a world class cyclist (doesn't change that there are people notably better at it than him). My point wasn't that he is or is not a world class cyclist, my point is that people laud him with praise simply through a geographic connection, be it that he's an American, or the "local boy". We should root for the best, however we want to define that, regardless of where they are from.

adub
07-02-2017, 04:31 PM
All the "pack fodder" in the top 10 today. LOL!!

Bruce K
07-02-2017, 06:06 PM
Taylor's story is compelling because it was just st a couple of years ago that he nearly lost a leg as a result of a horrific racing accident.

He already had been on the USA Olympic team and was racing on the world stage for BMC

At that time he was one of, if not the best young American cyclist, and an up and comer.

The fact that he has returned to world class form and that he is doing this is note/news worthy.

BK

pbarry
07-02-2017, 06:40 PM
Please don't tell me or others whom they should root for. We can all cheer for anyone we like. If all we just cheered for "the best", what would be the point of competition? Since we all know who the best is already, or do we? Maybe just sit back and watch the race and try not to get offended when others have different opinions. It's just a show after all.

We should root for the best, however we want to define that, regardless of where they are from.

ftf
07-02-2017, 06:44 PM
Please don't tell me or others whom they should root for. We can all cheer for anyone we like. If all we just cheered for "the best", what would be the point of competition? Since we all know who the best is already, or do we? Maybe just sit back and watch the race and try not to get offended when others have different opinions. It's just a show after all.

This is why I said, however "you define that", you could for example say you think the best is the guy with funky hair or whatever. The best is, as this thread points out quite poignantly, up to discussion.

I'm simply against nationalism. Simple.

ntb1001
07-02-2017, 06:48 PM

I don't know about that....I'm Canadian, and I like TP .
today was amazing..200km breakaway, I was reaĺly hoping he could pull it off!!
Athletes like TP make the Tour interesting.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

pbarry
07-02-2017, 06:53 PM
Where is your bridge? I'm coming down there and giving you a hug, like it or not. I'm not giving you the hug because of where you live, because that is not a valid reason to give a hug, but because you need one.

This is why I said, however "you define that", you could for example say you think the best is the guy with funky hair or whatever. The best is, as this thread points out quite poignantly, up to discussion.

Peter P.
07-02-2017, 08:02 PM

Would you give him credit for his comeback performance today, after his near-career ending injuries?

msl819
07-02-2017, 08:17 PM

Well... Marcel Kittel clearly has the best hair so it was a double good day for him.

vertebraille
07-02-2017, 09:17 PM
Great run by TP today. Hope he can remain a contender with more climbing ahead tomorrow.

jlwdm
07-02-2017, 11:16 PM
Great run by TP today. Hope he can remain a contender with more climbing ahead tomorrow.

?????

He is not a contender. He had a good time trial and was part of an early breakaway that the peloton wanted to stay away to stop more attacks. The sprinter's teams knew they could bring the break back whenever they wanted and in the last mile was the perfect place to do it.

Tyler got some cheap climbing points to get the polka dot jersey - gets a few $ and some publicity for his sponsors. Now he can try more breaks and try to finish the Tour.

Jeff

dton
07-03-2017, 12:11 AM
http://www.sbs.com.au/cyclingcentral/video/981833283810/TDF-2017-Taylor-Phinneys-naked-decision

Couldn't find an embeddable video unfortunately.

beeatnik
07-03-2017, 12:13 AM
Hay, how many Americans in the 100 World's Greatest Futbol Players? And how many Americans give a crap?

USA, I like your non-international game style.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fiertetimestwo
07-03-2017, 12:23 AM
http://www.sbs.com.au/cyclingcentral/video/981833283810/TDF-2017-Taylor-Phinneys-naked-decision

Couldn't find an embeddable video unfortunately.

One of the best post race interviews ever broadcast.

54ny77
07-03-2017, 05:33 AM
Boy ain't that the truth. He's such a quality dude.

One of the best post race interviews ever broadcast.

mcteague
07-03-2017, 06:18 AM

I used to look forward to Chris Horner interviews. Regardless of what you think about him it was always fun to hear his POV. Now, I will have to make it a point to catch those with Taylor. He just sounds like a really cool guy with a great sense of humor. Athlete interviews are generally beyond boring with all the "gave it 110%" and other canned responses.

Tim

oldpotatoe
07-03-2017, 07:41 AM

He is a nice guy, period, as are his parents, very nice, unassuming, not in your face, people. I feel he thinks he's lucky to come back to racing after the horrific leg injury(just looking at it now makes you queasy) and the first TdF is icing, a 'dream come true', as he said in the interview. Yup he's from the US..so what, I like the 'Gorilla' too and Quintana..

mcteague
07-03-2017, 09:56 AM
Nice interview. His perspective on his crash and recovery is so much deeper than what you normally hear. Truly an interesting character!

http://www.cyclist.co.uk/in-depth/876/a-look-back-at-taylor-phinneys-crash

Tim

Bruce K
07-03-2017, 10:50 AM
As folks who know/have met Davis and Connie have already said, Taylor is very much a product of his folks....

Polite and soft-spoken

At least until you piss mama bear off- then LOOK OUT!!

Now one if the other American kids is in the polka dots, so good early PR

BK

BK