PDA

View Full Version : Get your tour commentary from Lance!

AngryScientist
06-30-2017, 09:23 PM
https://www.outsideonline.com/2197087/lance-armstrong-returns-tour

the LA blog.

https://www.outsideonline.com/sites/default/files/styles/width_1200/public/lance-armstrong-tour-de-france-black-white_s.jpg?itok=ZoVN3x8A

ultraman6970
06-30-2017, 09:28 PM
I do not like the dude that much but after all he is a f... living legend, you cant get that out and I read a little bit of the q&A part and his answers have some base since he knows the TdF too well.

https://soundcloud.com/user-411867241/episode-00-2017-tour-de-france-preview-stages-a-tdf-podcast-with-lance-armstrong

sfscott
06-30-2017, 09:55 PM
Bet it's the most insightful commentary on the event.

galgal
06-30-2017, 09:57 PM
Oh god no, just go away LA. Looking forward to the tour starting and missing being back home to watch it unfold there. Don't need to think of him or what he thinks. And yet, I'm commenting on this thread rather than other interesting ones currently on the forum.

texbike
06-30-2017, 10:02 PM
Lance and the Tour. Somehow, he manages to show up for it in one way or another, year after year. Kind of like a high-ranking political figure that can't not tweet. ;)

Texbike

Clean39T
06-30-2017, 11:31 PM
https://www.outsideonline.com/2197087/lance-armstrong-returns-tour

the LA blog.

https://www.outsideonline.com/sites/default/files/styles/width_1200/public/lance-armstrong-tour-de-france-black-white_s.jpg?itok=ZoVN3x8A

I'm in - and great pic btw...

cadence90
07-01-2017, 02:59 AM
Outside should also hire Lemond, in order to have a TdF-edition "Best of Enemies - Gore Vidal v. Bill Buckley" TdF debate.

That would be hilariously worth watching/listening to.

Llewellyn
07-01-2017, 03:18 AM
We get Matt Keenan and Robbie McEwen :hello: No more P & P :banana:

ultraman6970
07-01-2017, 03:47 AM
If lance had the buuulllzzzz to say "I'm sorry for x, y and z" to lemond the idea of having them together could be possible, what do you guys think?

Outside should also hire Lemond, in order to have a TdF-edition "Best of Enemies - Gore Vidal v. Bill Buckley" TdF debate.

That would be hilariously worth watching/listening to.

makoti
07-01-2017, 08:09 AM
If lance had the buuulllzzzz to say "I'm sorry for x, y and z" to lemond the idea of having them together could be possible, what do you guys think?

But he don't...

Jgrooms
07-01-2017, 08:19 AM
But he don't...

Sorry, but Lemond would be the reason they'd never be paired up.

As far as commentary goes, if you get past LA's issues, few have more insight into the big show.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sfscott
07-01-2017, 10:43 AM

As far as commentary goes, if you get past LA's issues, few have more insight into the big show.

This

54ny77
07-01-2017, 10:51 AM
Love him or hate him, that's correct. Nobody else has the actual modern day/era racing cred, other than Sean Kelly (who I love watching/listening to on web broadcast, by far my favorite announcer). The challenge for Lance is to make the broadcast all about the race, not all about him.

Bet it's the most insightful commentary on the event.

Jgrooms
07-01-2017, 11:26 AM
I've listened to his podcast a few times. He is a pretty good interviewer when I've heard him because its about the interviewee & not about him.

I would venture a bet that someday he's doing tour play by play for somebody big.

wpod
07-01-2017, 12:54 PM
Agree that his insight could be informative. But rather wish he had the panache to stay beneath the pile of rocks he buried himself under:crap: ...

ftf
07-01-2017, 01:24 PM
As much as it pains me to say it, I'll stick with phil and paul. On this topic though can we seriously change those two guys out for some fresh commentary?

In the TT of which I watched 20 mins or so, Phil called Taylor Phinney, Davis Phinney, and Paul had to correct him. I have other issues with them as well, but I mean the guy can't remember what year it is anymore, time for a switch up.

54ny77
07-01-2017, 01:33 PM
I stopped watching them several years or so ago. Just couldn't take it anymore. Painful.

Sean Kelly and Dave Harmon on Eurosport streaming coverage: the best. Hands down.

Lot of times I tune in to streaming broadcasts where those Belgian guys commentate. It's the same duo. Can't understand a damned thing, but they crack me up. It's like listening to the Swedish chef, "Bork bork bork bork...."

As much as it pains me to say it, I'll stick with phil and paul. On this topic though can we seriously change those two guys out for some fresh commentary?

In the TT of which I watched 20 mins or so, Phil called Taylor Phinney, Davis Phinney, and Paul had to correct him. I have other issues with them as well, but I mean the guy can't remember what year it is anymore, time for a switch up.

CunegoFan
07-01-2017, 05:21 PM

That can happen right after LeMond stops lying about how he figured our Lance was doping because of his VO2Max instead of knowing that everyone at the top of the sport was doping, including the years he was a pro.

cadence90
07-01-2017, 06:16 PM

Have you watched the Vidal/Buckley documentary?
That is precisely why GL v LA would be hilarious.
Every night of the Tour, a post-stage 30-minute analysis/debate/rant/attack! :help:

MaraudingWalrus
07-01-2017, 10:00 PM
The daily Tour Podcast - Stages - has been very good for the two episodes so far. There's no one with more insight talking openly about bike racing. There just isn't. Nobody else with his level of insight is able or willing to talk in the way he has done so far in this podcast.

his regular podcast, The Forward, is also quite good most of the time. His episode with Malcolm Gladwell is spectacular, for example. So was Bo Jackson.

bicycletricycle
07-02-2017, 04:42 AM
I have been hoping this would happen, I think he should do the live commentary. I think he would be great at it.

GregL
07-02-2017, 07:43 AM
Lance doing bike race commentary reminds me of G. Gordon Liddy's speaking tours in the 1980s. Both provide fascinating insight into "non-standard" minds...

Greg

nobuseri
07-02-2017, 09:01 AM
I would agree with this. I have listened to them on YouTube and it has been very interesting. Looking forward to hearing the rest.

The daily Tour Podcast - Stages - has been very good for the two episodes so far. There's no one with more insight talking openly about bike racing. There just isn't. Nobody else with his level of insight is able or willing to talk in the way he has done so far in this podcast.

his regular podcast, The Forward, is also quite good most of the time. His episode with Malcolm Gladwell is spectacular, for example. So was Bo Jackson.

FlashUNC
07-02-2017, 09:13 AM
Don't have any time for anything he's got to say unless it's apologies to cancer patients he lied to and used as a human shield against doping allegations.

He's a garbage person.

choke
07-02-2017, 09:18 AM
Can't he just go away?

Clean39T
07-02-2017, 11:38 AM
I have been hoping this would happen, I think he should do the live commentary. I think he would be great at it.

Seconded. The first two Stages episodes have been informative and entertaining.

enr1co
07-02-2017, 12:58 PM
...pretty sure Dancing w/ the Stars is just around the bend ;)

trener1
07-02-2017, 01:18 PM
Can't he just go away?

No one is forcing anyone to listen.

He is free to talk and you are free to ignore him

peanutgallery
07-02-2017, 02:09 PM
There's a whole new generation of rubes out there that will buy into his new and improved narrative. This means gas $ for his jet. Getting in the news when he can helps, doesn't matter if its for a DUI or a podcast

-7 is just working hard to maximize value while he can. He has a warehouse full of aging Livestrong branded items to dump on the market when values hit a certain level. We're talking jet skis, maxi pads, nail clippers....its a -7, marketing bonanza

numbskull
07-02-2017, 02:42 PM
Seconded. The first two Stages episodes have been informative and entertaining.

Yeah, I agree. So far it has been quite good.

godukes
07-02-2017, 03:19 PM

Yes, like those times he was a complete racer and raced roubaix and helped his team mate win - which he did twice. Oh wait, you're talking Lance . . . . i was referring to LeMond. Lance never lined up for the big show.

Jgrooms
07-02-2017, 07:10 PM
^ This is a tour discussion? And in general the concept of the 'complete rider' is an anachronism.

pbarry
07-02-2017, 07:22 PM
Have you watched the Vidal/Buckley documentary?
That is precisely why GL v LA would be hilarious.
Every night of the Tour, a post-stage 30-minute analysis/debate/rant/attack! :help:

You might be speaking too back far in history for some folks. The metaphor is spot on, though the vocabulary of GL and LA won't reach the heights of the original exchanges. ;)

Lance doing bike race commentary reminds me of G. Gordon Liddy's speaking tours in the 1980s. Both provide fascinating insight into "non-standard" minds...

Greg

Ouch. I get it, but, thinking more Nixonian than Liddian, jmo.

Can't he just go away?

No. One needs a sense of shame to just go away.

godukes
07-03-2017, 10:47 AM
And in general the concept of the 'complete rider' is an anachronism.

One name: Sagan.

My favorite part of the todays stage: when the announcers, Robbie McEwan and the other Aussie, said the Greg Van was named after Greg LeMond "the only American to win the tour de France."

Also, didn't Wiggo ride the Roubaix and a whole bunch of other races and track and a myriad more? The answer would be yes.

Jgrooms
07-03-2017, 06:22 PM
One name: Sagan.

My favorite part of the todays stage: when the announcers, Robbie McEwan and the other Aussie, said the Greg Van was named after Greg LeMond "the only American to win the tour de France."

Also, didn't Wiggo ride the Roubaix and a whole bunch of other races and track and a myriad more? The answer would be yes.

And until Sagan wins a grand tour you've made my point.

Its simple economics, has been for 20 plus years. One may earn for a different era, but it doesn't change the fact that the TdF drives everything, and everything else is a distant 2nd.

eric01
07-03-2017, 11:20 PM
I just listened to the podcast. I enjoyed it. Interesting dialog. Let's see if his prediction for stage 4 comes true.

godukes
07-04-2017, 10:52 AM
And until Sagan wins a grand tour you've made my point.

Its simple economics, has been for 20 plus years. One may earn for a different era, but it doesn't change the fact that the TdF drives everything, and everything else is a distant 2nd.

Ignoring that you ignored the Wiggo comment - let's discuss "simple economics" - Froome pay $165k - Sagan Pay $198k (http://sportsmaza.com/cycling/pro-cyclists-salary/) (then there are the endorsements which Sagan distances himself even more).

Lance is about to loose $100 million - so there's that.

sfscott
07-04-2017, 11:16 AM
The podcasts have been quite good, and Lance certainly knows more about the race than anyone else covering the tour. It's an entertaining listen with some good nuggets.

Once again, the sanctimonious crew trots itself or as they do each July.

Food for thought: there is no Santa Claus or Tooth Fairy. And there is gambling in Casablanca too.

Pro cyclists from day zero dope.

Just because Barry Bonds juiced, doesn't mean he doesn't know about hitting.

MaraudingWalrus
07-04-2017, 11:44 AM
Can't wait for today's. Will be interesting to hear his insight on the events of the day. I'm sure they'll be fiery.

Jgrooms
07-04-2017, 12:29 PM
The podcasts have been quite good, and Lance certainly knows more about the race than anyone else covering the tour. It's an entertaining listen with some good nuggets.

Once again, the sanctimonious crew trots itself or as they do each July.

Food for thought: there is no Santa Claus or Tooth Fairy. And there is gambling in Casablanca too.

Pro cyclists from day zero dope.

Just because Barry Bonds juiced, doesn't mean he doesn't know about hitting.

Bingo!

It took me a long time to figure out the nexus of the sanctimonious. They were conned, essentially buying into the hero worshipping cult, and this leaves them scarred.

Let go grasshoppers!

adub
07-04-2017, 01:06 PM
Bingo!

It took me a long time to figure out the nexus of the sanctimonious. They were conned, essentially buying into the hero worshipping cult, and this leaves them scarred.

Let go grasshoppers!

HAHA! Bingo!

Jgrooms
07-20-2017, 06:04 AM
And the show is a ratings hit. So get used to him being around , because obviously there is a buck to be made...

Lance Armstrong: 'A man with no platform is a lost man' - CNN
https://apple.news/AB6vojE6BT4avYiOW-T14JQ

hokoman
07-20-2017, 06:49 AM
Ignoring that you ignored the Wiggo comment - let's discuss "simple economics" - Froome pay $165k - Sagan Pay $198k (http://sportsmaza.com/cycling/pro-cyclists-salary/) (then there are the endorsements which Sagan distances himself even more).

I don't follow all the races year round, but Froome is a one race rider, where Sagan gets press for a ton of them.. I would say his team gets a lot more exposure for their money.

Jgrooms
07-20-2017, 06:53 AM
I don't follow all the races year round, but Froome is a one race rider, where Sagan gets press for a ton of them.. I would say his team gets a lot more exposure for their money.

Yes I so often see the classics get a spot on CNN.

William
07-20-2017, 07:14 AM
And the show is a ratings hit. So get used to him being around , because obviously there is a buck to be made...

Lance Armstrong: 'A man with no platform is a lost man' - CNN
https://apple.news/AB6vojE6BT4avYiOW-T14JQ

So he raced what...thirteen or so Tours? Twenty one stages in each Tour, that equals about 273 stages (roughly). Winning the Tour through 147 stages. So when it comes to commentary in the Stages podcasts, there really isn't anyone out there with that much experience to draw from.

As I said in another thread, I'm torn...but I'm listening.

William

choke
07-20-2017, 07:35 AM
Yes I so often see the classics get a spot on CNN. I may be going out on a limb but my guess is that most European team's sponsors don't put a priority on being mentioned on CNN.

Tickdoc
07-20-2017, 07:40 AM
I'm sorry but my automatic reflex is to just say no to all things Lance.
You can't have the ass without the hole, imo.

Jgrooms
07-20-2017, 07:58 AM
I may be going out on a limb but my guess is that most European team's sponsors don't put a priority on being mentioned on CNN.

You can like the classics, but to not accept that the TdF is where the money is is just to not want to accept facts. As to the CNN point, its just one of many examples that demonstrate that the only thing that moves the needle in the US is, again, TdF.

European sport driven by Eure sponsors in the 'shadow' of the drug/post LA era. But make no mistake, the sport knows if it is to see the money of that era, it needs US eyes & clicks. And for now that isn't there.

Hawker
07-21-2017, 01:20 PM
I listened to one episode because I like to say informed. I found his insights interesting, obviously he has tons of inside info on the sport and cycling in general. But I quit after one podcast...the bad taste is still in my mouth.

jlwdm
07-21-2017, 03:17 PM
I am not a Lance hater and enjoyed my two week bike tour at the 2001 Tour de France. I wear a number of Mellow Johnny t-shirts also.

But I think his podcasts are terrible. I tried twice but could not make it all of the way through. I thought he would have a better delivery because he has been in front of a camera so much. It was hard to watch.

In one podcast he said he had no idea how you got points for the green jersey and had to look it up. The other podcast I watched was about a stage he had barely watched and he was clueless.

Jeff