PDA

View Full Version : Cycling in the Media

BBB
08-29-2006, 10:25 PM
For all the wrong reasons.

www.theage.com.au/news/national/fast-furious-fatal/2006/08/29/1156816899914.html

www.theage.com.au/news/national/pedalling-for-dear-life-in-running-of-the-bikes/2006/08/29/1156816899920.html

Louis
08-29-2006, 10:35 PM
Sad story.

If those guys can't be charged with something serious, then the laws need to be changed. IMO that's manslaughter. The authorities should have put a stop to that a long time ago. Now someone has payed with his life.

Louis

cs124
08-30-2006, 04:01 AM
Sad indeed. I stopped doing that ride many years ago for some of the reasons stated in the article...200 riders, uncontrolled public road...bad combination.

One thing to be mindful of is that, rightly or wrongly, the laws here do not provide the same avenues of prosecuting a cyclist as they do a motorist. There is every possibility that the rider in question (like he is any more guilty than any of the other hundred or so clowns that ran the red...) will be issued with nothing but a traffic infringement fine.

This particular aspect of the case is starting to look really ugly, with mainstream media and public opinion heading along the lines of a witch hunt with "lycra clad terrorists" the prey. I think I'll be on the MTB this weekend.

scottie
08-30-2006, 06:23 AM
Melbourne (where the incident occurred) is my home town and the most euro place in Australia by a huge margin, great place and people were finally starting to get used to cyclists and respect us a bit. More and more people are riding to work with crazy petrol prices and the like.
The 'hell' ride described in the articles in the media recently are true to reports, crazy, fast and lacking concern for anyone else on the road. I used to be a part of them quite often when I was fast enough.
The police used to follow and lead the pack which was great, but now the worst thing that could of happened has happened and I honestly hope they throw the book at him. They left him on the road to die which disgusts me and I feel for his family.
I'm just worried if there is going to be some sort of revenge by the drivers in this city? I hope not as I'm taking a good friend riding this weekend who has never really ridden and I'd hate for a terrible experience.
Sorry for the rant, I hate stupid cyclists as much as redneck drivers!

coylifut
08-30-2006, 09:11 AM
I hate stupid cyclists as much as redneck drivers!

I couldn't agree more. seems that every town has their own version of the all commers group street race. These rides kill our image.