PDA

View Full Version : Schwalbe G-One Speed 700x30mm

Lovetoclimb
06-30-2017, 01:17 PM
Is anyone using these? Feedback on use as a pavement option that performs admirably on the dirt and gravel? Also size, does it run true to 30mm and fit under a standard caliper brake?

Hombre
06-30-2017, 02:04 PM
Is anyone using these? Feedback on use as a pavement option that performs admirably on the dirt and gravel? Also size, does it run true to 30mm and fit under a standard caliper brake?

These are essentially renamed "S-One" tires and I have put them through a lot. They're just OK for everything, not exceptional at anything.

Pavement use performs just as you'd expect a larger road tire to. The treading isn't all that helpful when things get loose on dirt and gravel.

I ran these with stan's grails so they came out to 33mm. I can't comment on caliper brake clearance....

Tommasini53
07-11-2017, 07:43 AM

I have been using on my road bike w/Enve fork, HED Belgium rims. Measure out to 29.5 or 30mm. Very close on fork, plenty of room on rear. Used on both pavement and tame gravel with good performance. I'd purchase another pair. Easy tubeless set up, smooth ride.

DrSpoke
07-11-2017, 12:14 PM
I've been using the S-One for over 1 1/2 yrs. It's pretty much my favorite mixed road/trail tire and is my go to tire on my gravel bike. This is especially so on most training rides where I like a little more cushion and durability. It performs more than adequately on the road and can handle most light to medium off-road trail conditions. In fact, it's one of my favorite tires for fast descents on pavement. They are relatively light and seem to be durable though the tread is on the soft side. So I wouldn't consider them a high mileage tire. They have installed easily - usually go on by hand and inflates with a floor pump.

I also like the Pro-One @ 28c for events that lean more to the road side. But these also handle most light to medium trail conditions. Basically, I have 3 wheelsets for my gravel bike - all DT Swiss XR 1501 (older 20mm version) converted to 11-sp road freehub. I run 3 tires usually - Pro-One @ 25c for road, S-One @ 30c for mixed use and G-One @ 35c for heavier duty trail rides. And sometimes mix in the Pro-One @ 28c into the rotation for certain events like the Belgian Waffle Ride which is about 65/35 road/trail.

I haven't measured mine but they seem close to 30mm on 20mm rims. That said, the Pro-Ones @ both 25c and 28c run a couple mm large. And I run disc wheels so can't comment on caliper brake bikes.

I highly recommend - and have done so for many of my friends.

martl
07-11-2017, 02:22 PM

their 35 mm were factory mounted on my "Gravelbike"-dubbed disc crosser. Loving them, rolling resistance, handling, all very fine!
Seem to wear quite fast.
Are *very* sensitive to tire pressure - don't inflate too much else the bike will be bumpy as hell over tiniest imperfections on the road.

adub
01-22-2018, 07:42 PM
These tires seem to tick the boxes for my Gravel Bikes "road" wheelset. Lots of very rough tarmac where I ride, gravel connector roads, etc.

Anyone else with reviews?

Likes2ridefar
01-22-2018, 10:21 PM
I have them. They roll fast and are very smooth. I recently got a Mavic wheelset with their own brand 30c tires. The Mavic look bigger to me and roll slower. They also have a better grip on dirt. I’ve not measured either of the tires and it could be the slightly wider Mavic rim makes the Mavic tires look larger.

I had Hutchinson secteur 28 before the g one speed and definitely prefer the g one. I plan on switching them over to my Mavic wheels this weekend. The Mavic tires are not great for my mostly road commuting...

I would probably pick the Mavic tires for more aggressive dirt and gravel though.

Jere
01-22-2018, 11:51 PM

Hi
I have a Colnago CX stashed at my sons house in Asheville.
It rains every visit I never felt secure with the S 1s mind you they were 28 mm but with G Rails 30 mm.
The last straw was warming up for a race and they delaminated on the trainer.
I run Michelin Endurance / Continental GP 4000s with the same air pressure 58 psi
and feel secure dropping off Mt Mitchell and Pisha
I forgot Mt Road and Elk Mt Road now that’s some fun when you do not trust your rain tires down hill.
As far as dirt it’s not my thing sorry
Jere B

Andreas
01-23-2018, 06:18 AM
These tires seem to tick the boxes for my Gravel Bikes "road" wheelset. Lots of very rough tarmac where I ride, gravel connector roads, etc.

Anyone else with reviews?

Rode them underneath some Shimano mid reach breaks for about 2,500 miles on northern new england dirt roads last year.

On shimano 6700 wheels (tubeless) they mounted easily just by hand and frame pump. They held pressure without sealant. Measure a true 30. This is in contrast to the schwalbe pro one (28), that masured 31 on the same rim.

Roll fast, good grip, no complaints.
I get sidewall rips on light weight compass tires, these are holding up. Compliant ride as you can lower pressure due to their tubeless design (i ride them 35f/45r, ymmv). Their tubeless construction is a notch above compass offerings and on par with WTB. Schwalbe and WTB have tubeless figured out.

Recommended.