PDA

View Full Version : Cycling to the eclipse

kevinvc
06-30-2017, 11:13 AM
In August, we are going to have a complete solar eclipse. The path runs right through Oregon, but is south of Portland. This will be the last one in my lifetime and I'd like to check it out. The problem is that the state of Oregon is expecting approximately 1 million visitors from all over the world. Having that many additional distracted people with little familiarity of our roads and driving practices assures that it will be a congested, collision-riddled mess throughout the region. In addition, every hotel room and campground is fully booked at exorbitant rates.

I'm trying to put together a route to go bikecamping that is almost exclusively on dirt and gravel roads. My goal is to minimize interactions with traffic and find a secluded place on Forest Service land for dry camping. I'm just a little concerned that there may be a lot of locals who also try to avoid highway traffic by driving these same roads. Hopefully I can get time off from work and my clever plan doesn't prove to be not so very smart.

weisan
06-30-2017, 12:01 PM
You are afraid of outside visitors...you are afraid of the locals... Just relax and enjoy the eclipse, Kevin pal.

kevinvc
06-30-2017, 12:18 PM
You are afraid of outside visitors...you are afraid of the locals... Just relax and enjoy the eclipse, Kevin pal.

Heh. Unfortunately, I will have to travel to get to the path of the eclipse, which fortunately gives me an excuse to take a bikecamping trip.

I'm not afraid of the people in general, just about their ability to not run me over. :D

PacNW2Ford
06-30-2017, 12:36 PM
Treo Bike Tours and Komarebi Cycling Team have some options for supported and unsupported rides to eclipse areas.

ColonelJLloyd
06-30-2017, 12:55 PM
One of the best spots to view this is right where I grew up in western Kentucky. Not sure where I'm going to be, but bikepacking on that day is as good an idea as any.

Louis
06-30-2017, 01:03 PM
In a somewhat related matter, St Clair MO, one of the stops on some of my motorcycle rides, is almost dead center in the middle of the path of totality so I was thinking of taking the day off and riding over to check it out. Depending on the route I take, it's around 90 minutes from my house, and there's a neat little restaurant where I sometimes go for a late lunch. I've been wondering how busy they'll be during this event.

adampaiva
06-30-2017, 01:16 PM
I'm planning to be in Idaho for it. Haven't figured out the logistics yet but I'll be somewhere in the middle of nowhere.

Having experienced a total eclipse by dumb luck before in Turkey, it's an incredible experience. Absolutely do not miss this chance.

estilley
06-30-2017, 01:18 PM
1 million visitors? That will increase our population by 25%.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ORMojo
06-30-2017, 01:34 PM
Treo Bike Tours and Komarebi Cycling Team have some options for supported and unsupported rides to eclipse areas.

This is what I was going to contribute. I thought both sounded pretty nice, but not really feasible with our 8-year-old.

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/total-solar-eclipse-bike-campout-with-komorebi-cycling-friends-on-bikes-tickets-35014976738

http://www.treobiketours.com/

kevinvc
06-30-2017, 01:36 PM
1 million visitors? That will increase our population by 25%.

It's crazy. A lot of folks will be headed to eastern Oregon where it's more remote and the communities out there are saying it will be impossible for them to have enough food, water and gas for everyone with the small number of restaurants and stations they have. They are expecting a lot of folks stranded in the middle of nowhere for a few days waiting for the tanker to roll into town. The interstate between Portland and Salem, which is the closest place to get into the path, is expected to be complete gridlock.

I like the flexibility and independence I'll have being on a bike.

Bruce K
06-30-2017, 01:48 PM
We are flying to Atlanta and going up to a friend's cabin that is about 30 minutes drive from the path of totality.

I just hope the weather is good.

BK

estilley
06-30-2017, 01:57 PM
It's crazy. A lot of folks will be headed to eastern Oregon where it's more remote and the communities out there are saying it will be impossible for them to have enough food, water and gas for everyone with the small number of restaurants and stations they have. They are expecting a lot of folks stranded in the middle of nowhere for a few days waiting for the tanker to roll into town. The interstate between Portland and Salem, which is the closest place to get into the path, is expected to be complete gridlock.

I like the flexibility and independence I'll have being on a bike.

Yeah it's going to be bad.

I'll just be hanging around Portland, I've got some years ahead of me so hopefully I'll catch one at some point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

weisan
06-30-2017, 04:46 PM
http://www.eclipse2017.org/2017/maps/whole-us.jpg

bikingshearer
06-30-2017, 05:07 PM
As a cosmic something or other, the eclipse is on the very day of my 60th birthday. Yes, my arrangements have been made for quite some time.

Now if I can just convince everyone else to stay the hell away from Central Oregon . . . .

Bob Ross
06-30-2017, 05:23 PM
The missus just booked us into a B&B for that weekend somewhere in western-most North Carolina...Bryson City (I had to go look that up) which is right in the path of totality. Pretty amazed that she found any vacancies. Not sure if we'll bring our bikes, since she's still dealing with a chronic hip injury that kept her from riding for most of the last 6 months. We were originally planning a cycling vacation in Boulder CO that week, but between her injury and this once-in-a-lifetime celestial event, we figured we shouldn't squander the opportunity.

Louis
06-30-2017, 06:36 PM
NYT story about how a college town in southern IL that happens to be in a unique position (see image below) is gearing up for the event(s):

First one (NW to SE) is the 21 Aug 2017 eclipse, and the second (SW to NE) is 8 April 8 2024

https://nyti.ms/2urnGRF

https://static01.nyt.com/newsgraphics/2017/06/29/carbondale-map/9b73cc04926eeafb2ca017193a3ba16e11ec473a/carbondale-map-Artboard_1.png

weisan
06-30-2017, 07:18 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffBYVQ7j8MI

gasman
06-30-2017, 07:31 PM
It's totally worth it !!

If you have a chance to get in the path of totality it is truly amazing. My wife and I had our 3rd date observing a total eclipse in a farmer's field in the Columbia River Gorge in 1979. We camped out the night before and watched in the eclipse in the morning. Stars come out, coyotes howl and birds become quiet.

We have reservations for a place on the Oregon/Idaho border but she is having second thoughts with all the influx of visitors to Oregon. I'm going no matter what and some friends of ours will also be there.

Bikingshearer-I hope your birthday is wonderful !!

There will be another total eclipse in 2024 with a path roughly from Texas to Maine. So there's that for you future watchers.

Kevinvc- I wish you luck.

Exonerv
06-30-2017, 09:46 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffBYVQ7j8MI
Great video...thanks.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

gasman
06-30-2017, 10:29 PM
There will be another total eclipse in 2024 with a path roughly from Texas to Maine. So there's that for you future watchers.

Duh !

I just looked closely at Louis's post and in fact had read the same article today.

Louis
06-30-2017, 10:39 PM
A buddy of mine at work wants to find a tall building or hill with a good view to the northwest, so he can actually see the shadow approaching on the ground, but I don't know if he's found anything yet.

bikinchris
06-30-2017, 10:47 PM
We are flying to Atlanta and going up to a friend's cabin that is about 30 minutes drive from the path of totality.

I just hope the weather is good.

BK

That's my biggest fear. All the buildup and anticipation and weather rolls in and ruins a very rare event. We expect to be somewhere along a Tennessee, Kentucky or Missouri area depending on weather forecasts.

gasman
06-30-2017, 11:18 PM
A buddy of mine at work wants to find a tall building or hill with a good view to the northwest, so he can actually see the shadow approaching on the ground, but I don't know if he's found anything yet.

We saw it on a small hill in an open field in '79 but it comes by fast-like 1,000 mph.

ColonelJLloyd
07-01-2017, 09:09 AM
My buddy lives a few miles from the crossroads in southern Illinois. He said Ozzy is playing Bark at the Moon at some winery during the eclipse. Ha.

bikingshearer
07-05-2017, 06:07 PM
Bikingshearer-I hope your birthday is wonderful !!

Thank you. I have no doubt that it will be.

sales guy
07-05-2017, 07:01 PM
on NPR, The 1 A with Joshua Johnson, they had a great program about it. Including the times it will be over the US.

Tandem Rider
07-05-2017, 10:54 PM
My buddy lives a few miles from the crossroads in southern Illinois. He said Ozzy is playing Bark at the Moon at some winery during the eclipse. Ha.
Haha, I lived in Carbondale for a long time, through the '80s and into the '90s. I'm quite sure the party will be quite the happening. Fantastic cycling, horrible economy, go figure.

Andy sti
07-06-2017, 12:11 AM
Central Oregpn is planning for the worst. I work in the medical field and the planning has been intense. We are expecting an influx of 300+ thousand people into an area that can't handle it. From Bend to Madras ( where it's expected to be the best ) is normally a 45 min drive - and we're told to expect 6 hours. Access to medical care is a huge concern. No vacations for hospital staff. No elective surgeries and a huge staff on standby in the OR, ER and urgent cares. Maybe it'll all be nothing but....