PDA

View Full Version : Cracked something on wheelset

Cicli
06-30-2017, 04:05 AM
So, I dont like mAvic wheels but whatever. These are a set a friend who is a tri nerd is looking at. They are on fleaBay and he asked me to look at them for him. I spotted this crack on the valve stem thingie. I realise the carbon oart of this wheel is just decorative but that crack still concernes me.
What are the thoughts of the Paceline collective wisdom?
I wouldnt want to buy something with an issue but he believes the seller that this is no big deal. Seems like a deal to me.

sokyroadie
06-30-2017, 05:36 AM
A small zip tie some epoxy and should be good to go.

IMHO - and loose the nut.

Jeff

45K10
06-30-2017, 05:39 AM
I don't think it is that big a deal. The wheels just have a carbon fairing so I don't think it affects it structurally and that part actually looks like plastic not carbon.

I don't like Mavic wheels either but if the price is right tell your tri-buddy to get them. More than likely the bike wheel will be covered in energy gel residue and dirt in a month anyway so it won't be noticeable.

CDollarsign
06-30-2017, 05:42 AM
I don't think the carbon on that rim is structural anyways. Looks to be a fairing for an aluminum rim to make it 'aero'...

Black Dog
06-30-2017, 06:43 AM
The part that cracked is an insert and not part of the carbon fairing. Good to go.

El Chaba
06-30-2017, 07:13 AM
Agree with the above post, the little plastic tube is there to keep the valve stem straight and prevent rattling-which it sometimes does. Theoretically, it is replaceable, but Mavic seems to have a corporate policy these days of making their replacement parts nearly impossible to obtain.

FlashUNC
06-30-2017, 09:03 AM
Looks like someone cranking down on the nut caused the crack.

Better solution is some electrical tape to stop the rattling.

ColonelJLloyd
06-30-2017, 09:08 AM
13mm internal width? Eff that.

rustychisel
06-30-2017, 07:25 PM
Great wheels. Perhaps somewhat heavy, but excellent design... clincher with aluminium rim and brake track (and bead hook therefore), carbon fairing. Strong.