PDA

View Full Version : Mtn bike for trails + a little downhill action?

fmradio516
06-29-2017, 09:28 PM
Howdy,

I have been in the market for.... some kind of mountain bike. I am still new to them so i dont know all the in's and out's but I know I want to ride regular trails as well as a litttttleeee bit of downhill. I dont do the huge jumps so it doesnt need to have a lot of rear travel.

Does anyone have any recommendations? I dont have much to go off of but I am 6'3" with a 34" inseam if that helps narrow things down. Also im guessing 29er or 27.5..

I think I have also settled on buying something new from a shop since I dont trust used shocks from craigslist.

Thanks in advance

Edit: Price range - $1000-1800

msl819
06-29-2017, 09:36 PM
Don't know what shop are local and who they carry but it sounds like you are looking for an All Mountain rig. My suggestion would be to find a shop or shops that will let you demo bikes so you can actually ride them before you buy not just choose based off a parking lot spin.

msl819
06-29-2017, 09:40 PM
FWIW... I have a yeti 575 and am also 6'3" and 34" inseam it is a 26er and does exactly what you are looking for. Given the amount of depreciation on used mtb unless you just want new I'd suggest looking used. The number of nice bikes available with low miles and low asking price is nothing to not pay attention to.

fmradio516
06-29-2017, 09:45 PM
Thanks for your input.

I guess I am more afraid to buy used because I dont know exactly what im looking for in terms of suspension. I dont wanna buy a bike with too little or too much travel.

I would be doing more trail riding than downhill, but I would like to avoid paying $130 each time i go downhilling and have to rent a bike :(

Clean39T
06-29-2017, 09:53 PM
Do you have a shop near you that does a demo day so you can try some out on local trails?

fmradio516
06-29-2017, 09:55 PM
Honestly I have no clue. I rarely set foot in any bikes shops in the city, unfortunately. Time to hit the Yellow Pages!

trener1
06-29-2017, 09:56 PM
I have demoed a fair amount of MTB over the last year or so, Namely Kona, Niner, Yeti, Santa Cruz, Trek, and everything from XC Racing carbon Hard Tails to full suspension "trail bikes" and everything in between, both 29er and 27.5 and I will tell you that the difference between the bikes is HUGE, much more so then on the road.
Not better or worse, just very different, so it really depends on the type of trails you ride, how you like the bike to feel and handle etc...
In my opinion test riding a MT bike is much more important then test riding a road bike, and testing it on an actual trail, not a shop parking lot
Look at websites of the brands that your shop carries, almost of the brands have demo fleets that travel around the country and set up at various trails etc...

fmradio516
06-29-2017, 10:00 PM
I have demoed a fair amount of MTB over the last year or so, Namely Kona, Niner, Yeti, Santa Cruz, Trek, and everything from XC Racing carbon Hard Tails to full suspension "trail bikes" and everything in between, both 29er and 27.5 and I will tell you that the difference between the bikes is HUGE, much more so then on the road.
Not better or worse, just very different, so it really depends on the type of trails you ride, how you like the bike to feel and handle etc...
In my opinion test riding a MT bike is much more important then test riding a road bike, and testing it on an actual trail, not a shop parking lot
Look at websites of the brands that your shop carries, almost of the brands have demo fleets that travel around the country and set up at various trails etc...

Okay, sounds like I wont be getting a bike anytime soon. :butt:

Im a road guy, and dont really know mountain bikes at all, so I probably wouldnt be able to tell if one felt good or not. All I know is that downhill bikes suck to actually pedal anywhere. Thats pretty much it.

trener1
06-29-2017, 10:03 PM
Hmmm I didn't mean it in that way.
By all means buy a bike and hit the trails and have fun :)

Perhaps buy something cheap just to get going and after a year or so you will have a better idea of what you want and upgrade to something better.
What are the trails in your area like?.

fmradio516
06-29-2017, 10:13 PM
To be honest, I havent a clue :)

Ive been downhilling a few times and only regular trail riding once in Texas on a hard tail that was too small for me. I had fun though. This is the trail by me that seems pretty popular:

https://www.singletracks.com/bike-trails/middlesex-fells-reservation.html

ORMojo
06-29-2017, 10:13 PM
I have an Ibis Mojo in excellent condition for sale cheap that would be a great starting point!

fmradio516
06-29-2017, 10:22 PM
I have an Ibis Mojo in excellent condition for sale cheap that would be a great starting point!

Send me over some deets! :hello:

JAGI410
06-29-2017, 10:25 PM
The new Santa Cruz Nomad would do the trick quite well. The new Santa Cruz Hightower is expected to be released on Saturday, and it should do 80% or so of what the Nomad can do but with 29" wheels.

fmradio516
06-29-2017, 10:29 PM
The new Santa Cruz Nomad would do the trick quite well. The new Santa Cruz Hightower is expected to be released on Saturday, and it should do 80% or so of what the Nomad can do but with 29" wheels.

Ive seen those and they are really nice. Im just not trying to spend $5k+ on a mtn bike since im new to it and dont know if i'll be totally into it or not.

JAGI410
06-29-2017, 10:44 PM
Santa Cruz Chameleon, Kona Honzo AL/DL, Kona Process 134DL, etc. lots of options well below $5k.

Besides light downhill, what else do you want to do? Go fast on Strava? Wheelies and jumps and all fun stuff? The "new school" long/low geometry does wonders for confidence and stability, will make the learning curve a little easier.

Ken Robb
06-29-2017, 10:52 PM
your season is well underway so I wouldn't delay very much. From the look of your local trail there is a lot of tight paths. I think you can have a lot of fun on a good quality 26" full suspension from 5 years ago. I'll bet you can get nearly top-of-the-line bikes for a few hundred bucks. You will have to pick your lines going downhill more carefully than you would on a full downhill rig but, as you said, those are pigs to ride anywhere else.

after a season on this bargain bike you will know what you may really want and how much you should spend to get it.

bmeryman
06-29-2017, 10:53 PM
Where are you located? If I were you I would swing in to some local shops and check with them regarding demo days or events they've got planned. It's great to be able to pedal around a few bikes for a while. Even if you don't have a lot of experience on a mountain bike you'll feel some of the differences (perhaps not in a parking lot).

Mountain bikes from many well known brands are really good for the most part these days. Finding someone/a shop that's willing to take the time to get it set up properly for you can be the difference some time. We spend all this time and money getting our road bikes to fit properly, it only makes sense to get a suspension system tuned properly as well. And yes, it's an iterative process, but the best shops will be invested in working with you rather than just pumping it up to the number on the box and sending you on your way.

trener1
06-29-2017, 11:04 PM
Finding someone/a shop that's willing to take the time to get it set up properly for you can be the difference some time. We spend all this time and money getting our road bikes to fit properly, it only makes sense to get a suspension system tuned properly as well. And yes, it's an iterative process, but the best shops will be invested in working with you rather than just pumping it up to the number on the box and sending you on your way.[/QUOTE]

I'd venture to say that proper suspension set up and tire pressure is actually more important then on the road, I have been riding and racing on the road for well over 15 years and I can honestly say that I can't feel the difference if my tires are at 105 or 120 psi, but just this past Sunday I was out on the trail and I just didn't like the way my bike was handling, so I changed my tire pressure by 4 psi and the difference was huge, totally changed the ride.
And even more so with proper shock set up, when I was demoing the Santa Cruz they didn't take the time to set up the pressure properly at all, a bunch of us went out on the trail with the owner of the local shop that was hosting the demo, mid ride he asked me what I thought, and I told him that honestly the bike felt ****ty and kind of squirley, he asked me if they set it up properly... long story short, he did a mid trail set up, and properly adjusted the sag etc.. and the bike felt so much better.
So if you are going to buy new, try and find a shop where the guys actually ride and know what they are talking about.
look around and see if there are any shops in your area that host weekly rides or something, usually that indicates that they have some real Mt Bikers working at the shop

christian
06-30-2017, 04:32 AM
You want a 160mm travel 27.5 wheeled "Enduro" bike. Something like anSanta Cruz Nomad or Bronson, Giant Reign, Specialized Enduro. I ride my Reign on trails all the time and it is capable of anything i am brave enough to do
at the DH park.

sandyrs
06-30-2017, 06:40 AM
To be honest, I havent a clue :)

Ive been downhilling a few times and only regular trail riding once in Texas on a hard tail that was too small for me. I had fun though. This is the trail by me that seems pretty popular:

https://www.singletracks.com/bike-trails/middlesex-fells-reservation.html

So you live in the Boston area. Same here. Demo some bikes at JRA cycles in Medford. They have a variety of brands and know their stuff really well. The Fells is two minute from their door!

I have a feeling they will point you toward a Devinci Django, Kona Process or Rocky Mountain Instinct, but I could be wrong.

simplemind
06-30-2017, 07:09 AM
FWIW, you said "downhill", do you mean doing down hill action like a bike park, or do you mean just going down hill? Big difference.
Assuming you're not into the park action, I can say many people get too much travel. They think I want the bike to absorb all the impact because I haven't developed the skills yet. Well, I would suggest you try something in the 130mm to 14mm travel in a 29er for your size. If I were going to suggest a good fit, I would first have you try something like a Yeti SB4.5 in an XL. That bike will do 90% of what anyone will ever need. Then develop skills to minimize impact and enjoy the ride.

fmradio516
06-30-2017, 08:12 AM
FWIW, you said "downhill", do you mean doing down hill action like a bike park, or do you mean just going down hill? Big difference.
Assuming you're not into the park action, I can say many people get too much travel. They think I want the bike to absorb all the impact because I haven't developed the skills yet. Well, I would suggest you try something in the 130mm to 14mm travel in a 29er for your size. If I were going to suggest a good fit, I would first have you try something like a Yeti SB4.5 in an XL. That bike will do 90% of what anyone will ever need. Then develop skills to minimize impact and enjoy the ride.

I do actually mean downhill bike parks. But its not so important I guess. I could just keep renting a bike when I go there a few times a year. But also not looking to spend thousands of dollars on a first mtn bike. Thanks!

Dirtdiggler
06-30-2017, 08:39 AM
Also look into the Pivot line of bikes.. It sources the DW-link rear design and its a must for climbing with out pedal induced bobbing, but still active. I have the Trek Top Fuel and regardless what Trek states it bobs. I did test ride the SC Bronson and I thought it was a very capable bike for XC and all mountain.

45K10
06-30-2017, 08:43 AM
I am not sure if you do Facebook but if you do there are ton of MTB's for sale in the Boston area on this page:https://www.facebook.com/groups/184012971687826/?fref=nf

Generally in my experience private sellers are cool about letting you take a bike for test rides

Good luck

d_douglas
06-30-2017, 08:44 AM
It might be just me, but I've owned two FS 29ers and they've both been short travel machines that are smartly designed. My Banshee Phantom is 110mm but reports were thst it rides like a 130mm AM bike. It works great for me and I ride pretty technical trails that would overtax an under equipped bike. Not to say you should buy a Banshee, but I don't think a 160mm bike is ideal for all purpose riding. 130mm would be ideal for me.

Rocky Mountains are very nice!

trener1
Of all of the bikes that I tested I would highly recommend the Kona process 134.
I think it is one amazing bike and while its still a "few" thousand it's also a few thousand less that many of the other bikes out there.
See I did all of the work for you :)

Tony
There are many bikes out there, good used ones that would do well when you hit the bike parks those couple times a year. A used Bronson, Pivot 429, Mojo 650 b, Kona ..... Check out pinkbike, lots of good deals. I can recommend several great sellers if interested.

https://www.pinkbike.com/

ofcounsel
06-30-2017, 09:46 AM

Agreed.

I ride mostly MTB. If I was going to have only one bike, I would get a 29"er and something between 120 and 135mm rear travel and 130-150 front travel.

Something like a Yeti SB 4.5, Intense Primer, Santa Cruz Hightower, Trek Fuel EX, the new Niner Jet 9, Specialized Stumpjumper. All of these bikes are in the same range. Some more aggressive, some less. But they're all, "do it all -- master of none" trail bikes. Look at their spec sheets, including suspension travel and geometry to start getting a sense on paper. As a general rule, less travel = more efficient pedaling. More travel = better as the trail gets chunky. As far as geometry goes, head tube angle is an easy indicator to start with (Note: Head tube angle alone doesn't tell you the whole story, but is a good intro). And that will give you a rough baseline, at least on paper, for the type of bike it is. And once you do that, then you'll start to be able to more clearly see the "category" of bike it is; from more specialized "XC race bikes" which are focused more on pedaling efficiency than downhill prowess and across the spectrum for more "enduro" style bikes that focus less on pedaling efficiency and more on bombing the downhill as fast as possible.

For XC race bikes, you'll commonly see travel between 90-110 rear and 100-120mm front, and head tube angles at about 68.5 degrees and higher.
For Trail bikes, you'll commonly see rear travel between 120 and 140, and front travel between 120-150, and head tube angles between 66.5 and 69
For "enduro" bikes, you'll commonly see travel between 140 rear and 160 rear and front travel going to about 170mm on newer bikes. Head tube angles below 67 degrees.

None of this is a hard and fast rule, but just a general guideline for you to start getting a feel for what you are looking at. You can find some XC bikes that don't feel very efficient, and some enduro bikes that pedal like XC bikes (the Yeti SB 5.5 comes to mind... that bike is crazy impressive). And note, the numbers above are assuming a 29" wheel size.

I leave out dedicated downhill bikes, because they're too specialized to do anything other than downhill stuff.. they're not meant for pedaling uphill.

I have two mtbs: a Pivot Mach 429SL, which is my XC bike, and my Specialized Stumpjumper which is my trail bike (I recently sold my hardtail... it wasn't getting much use). If you take a look at each bike's spec sheets, you'll see they are very different on paper. But in real life, each crosses over into the the other's territory a bit. The Pivot sees more use, as I normally ride around familiar trails and fire roads. The Stumpjumper has enough travel for anything I will do in the natural environment including some really sketchy trails. I take the Stumpy if I'm going somewhere unfamiliar and need to be ready for anything that comes my way. It doesn't feel as "fast" when climbing as compared to the Pivot, but it's a bit more confidence inspiring in the rough stuff. And that's a typical with XC race bikes v. trail --do it all -- bikes.

Even at the bike parks, I use the Stumpjumper, and it's good for everything short of launching myself off major ramp jumps... I don't do that stuff.

NHAero
06-30-2017, 10:00 AM
As usual, good counsel from ofcounsel!
I want to second the idea that places like Pinkbike are good sources. I bought a hardly-used Pivot MACH429C that was on consignment at a shop in CA (I'm in MA). They shipped it for $50. I questioned them carefully about the condition and they told me the bike had hardly been ridden, which seemed to be the case when the bike arrived. I paid roughly half of what the bike cost new.

Agreed.

I ride mostly MTB. If I was going to have only one bike, I would get a 29"er and something between 120 and 135mm rear travel and 130-150 front travel.

Something like a Yeti SB 4.5, Intense Primer, Santa Cruz Hightower, Trek Fuel EX, the new Niner Jet 9, Specialized Stumpjumper. All of these bikes are in the same range. Do it all, but master of none kind of bikes.

I have two, a Pivot Mach 429SL, which is my XC bike, and my Stumpjumper which is my trail bike. The Stumpjumper has enough travel for anything I will do in the natural environment, including some really sketchy trails.

Even at the bike parks, I use the Stumpjumper and it's good for everything short of launching myself off major ramp jumps... I don't do that stuff.

Fatty
06-30-2017, 10:22 AM
Howdy,

I have been in the market for.... some kind of mountain bike. I am still new to them so i dont know all the in's and out's but I know I want to ride regular trails as well as a litttttleeee bit of downhill. I dont do the huge jumps so it doesnt need to have a lot of rear travel.

Does anyone have any recommendations? I dont have much to go off of but I am 6'3" with a 34" inseam if that helps narrow things down. Also im guessing 29er or 27.5..

I think I have also settled on buying something new from a shop since I dont trust used shocks from craigslist.

Thanks in advance

The trail you linked to is an intermediate rating. Sure don't need a downhill bike for that. And yeah they peddle like crap because a giant machine lifts you to the top of the hill.
I would never buy a current model year bike. Go used or one model year back on on clearance, let someone else take the depreciation hit.
Mountain bikes are maintenance heavy. You'll have to learn a basic shock / fork refresh or deal with a good shop.

Not sure I saw a price range you had in mind. 30 second search found this.

https://images.craigslist.org/00e0e_iMuwlixFdZ8_600x450.jpg

https://boston.craigslist.org/nos/bik/6184415532.html

d_douglas
06-30-2017, 11:28 AM
I've heard the Kona Process series are amazing.

Used bikes are fine too - there are MTB nerds that barely use bikes and flip them annually. My buddy does it, but he's a Mdr - not an XL, sadly for you!

Fatty
06-30-2017, 03:44 PM
Some nice eye candy here for sure.

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/eurobike-media-days-2017.html

fmradio516
06-30-2017, 03:56 PM
Lots of great info here. Thanks guys. I probably forgot to add a price range, but its between $1000-$1800 since its my first mtn bike. Thanks!

ofcounsel
06-30-2017, 04:09 PM
Lots of great info here. Thanks guys. I probably forgot to add a price range, but its between $1000-$1800 since its my first mtn bike. Thanks!

That's a tight budget for a new, full suspension bike from a reputable brand. But here are a few that fit the bill:

Marin Hawk Hill

http://www.marinbikes.com/us/bikes/family/hawk-hill

Giant Stance 2.

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/stance-2

Specialized Camber (if you find it on sale)

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/men/bikes/mountain/trail/camber-29/115406

You'll get a lot more for your money if you are willing to buy used.

fmradio516
06-30-2017, 04:15 PM
That's a tight budget for a new, full suspension bike from a reputable brand. But here are a few that fit the bill:

Marin Hawk Hill

Giant Stance 2.

Thanks for that. I'm all for buying used, but I just dont know much about mountain bike things. But I guess if I follow everyones recommendations for travel and whatnot, I can scour craigslist for a bit and try to find a match!

ofcounsel
06-30-2017, 04:17 PM
Thanks for that. I'm all for buying used, but I just dont know much about mountain bike things. But I guess if I follow everyones recommendations for travel and whatnot, I can scour craigslist for a bit and try to find a match!

Good call. check www.pinkbike.com as well. They have lots of bikes on that site. Feel free to post up or pm if you want to talk about the relative pluses and minuses of different potential buys.

fmradio516
06-30-2017, 04:19 PM
You rule! Much appreciated.

Thanks everyone!

Mr Cabletwitch
06-30-2017, 04:58 PM
With only 1000-1800 to spend you need to be either looking at a hardtail or used, you won't find a new full suspension bike worth a damn for that much money. I used bike might be the way to go, just know that you might end up spending a couple hundred to rebuild the fork and/or shock. I sold a really nice Niner Jet9 for 1000 a couple months ago, its better than anything else you would find for that money just didn't have all the fancy new "standards"

fmradio516
06-30-2017, 06:43 PM
With only 1000-1800 to spend you need to be either looking at a hardtail or used, you won't find a new full suspension bike worth a damn for that much money. I used bike might be the way to go, just know that you might end up spending a couple hundred to rebuild the fork and/or shock. I sold a really nice Niner Jet9 for 1000 a couple months ago, its better than anything else you would find for that money just didn't have all the fancy new "standards"

Yep, im fine with used, i just need to learn myself some mtn bikes because i dont know what I should be looking for in terms of suspension, wheel size, and whatnot. looks like 27.5 and 29 are the way to go, but i need to keep doing my research.

John H.
06-30-2017, 06:48 PM
I agree with this.
$1000-1800 buys you a pretty junky new bike (for off-road use).
Your $ will go much further if you buy used.

Fatty
06-30-2017, 07:23 PM

Marin Hawk Hill

Giant Stance 2.

The Marin Hawk Hill got some good reviews. Performance bike had them very recently discounted to 1350 with 30 % back in team points. Very solid deal there.

pcxmbfj
07-01-2017, 04:32 AM
Start with a hardtail!
A 29er if it is a closer fit to your road bike or a 26er if you want minimum investment.
Learn to use your body and the bike before letting the suspension do it for you and if you like trails can still find good uses for the HT after adding the FS.

christian
07-01-2017, 05:24 AM
Counterpoint: No, don't get a hardtail. It's like learning to drive on a model T so you can manually advance the spark. Modern technology is where it's at!

ofcounsel
07-01-2017, 09:26 AM
The Marin Hawk Hill got some good reviews. Performance bike had them very recently discounted to 1350 with 30 % back in team points. Very solid deal there.

WOW! I'd take that over many used bikes in the same price range.

Counterpoint: No, don't get a hardtail. It's like learning to drive on a model T so you can manually advance the spark. Modern technology is where it's at!

I'm with you on this. Full suspension mountain bikes have gotten so good over the last few years. Even looking back to bikes from just 5-6 years ago... Pretty amazing.

jimcav
07-02-2017, 07:26 PM
if concerned about the pitfalls, find a local forumite to help you look over the bikes before buying, buy him/her pizza/beer. your price range will get you something awful new, that if you really use it will break--i've already seen this happen to a few of my son's friends's bikes--they get a cheapo intro MTB and it breaks.
read reviews on the full suspension 140 travel bikes from 2013+, at your ht I'd go 29, but there are great bikes in 27.5 and 26. At my age (48) 26ers take more finesse on obstacles than I feel i have, and I feel more beat up on them (a few years ago i had a 26 hardtail I then converted to rigid when the fork broke, 29er rigid, and 29 hardtail). A quality 29er with a dropper post lets me just smile most of the time. I love my ibis ripley and my evil the following, but for 1500-2k look for a good deal on a yeti, intense, santa cruz or some of the other bikes mentioned.
good luck