PDA

View Full Version : Another senseless death.

mtb_frk
06-29-2017, 01:21 PM
We in Michigan lost a great guy on Tuesday. He was out on his bike and was killed by a drunk driver. Mike was a fixture at our local races for years. I don't recall when I first met him, but I know it was at cyclocross race sometime in the last 15 years. His death (I want to say murder), has shaken the local cycling community. I am in shock, angered, and sickened by selfish act that took his life.

Be safe everyone, enjoy each day, as this could have been any of us.

http://www.abc12.com/content/news/Mid-Michigan-cycling-community-mourning-the-loss-of-one-of-their-own-431450923.html

earlfoss
06-29-2017, 01:22 PM
I have no problem labeling this as a murder. Absolutely tragic.

tourmalet
06-29-2017, 02:15 PM
I have no problem labeling this as a murder. Absolutely tragic.
Murder is premeditated. Drunk drivers never get charged with it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

eBAUMANN
06-29-2017, 02:21 PM
sorry for your loss, sounds like mike was quite a rider/role model for the community.

every time i hear a story like this, it pushes me a little further off the road (and into the woods). at the end of the day, as much as i love cycling, i am absolutely, 100%, not willing to die for it, particularly at the hands of some drunk.

sandyrs
06-29-2017, 02:22 PM
Murder is premeditated. Drunk drivers never get charged with it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Not to be pedantic but first degree murder is premeditated. Second degree murder just requires malicious intent.

tourmalet
06-29-2017, 02:33 PM
Not to be pedantic but first degree murder is premeditated. Second degree murder just requires malicious intent.
You are, of course, correct. But even second-degree murder is a very high bar.

See this blog with some examples of egregious conduct that did end with a murder conviction:

https://nccriminallaw.sog.unc.edu/when-does-dwi-resulting-in-death-amount-to-second-degree-murder/

Unless you're driving with a suspended license and a couple of priors, you can likely beat a murder charge.

BobO
06-29-2017, 02:48 PM
You're looking for a charge of Aggravated (drunk) involuntary manslaughter. This is a charge where if convicted there is very real prison time involved and it is something that the prosecution can easily prove.

RIP Mike.

beeatnik
06-29-2017, 03:15 PM
sorry for your loss, sounds like mike was quite a rider/role model for the community.

every time i hear a story like this, it pushes me a little further off the road (and into the woods). at the end of the day, as much as i love cycling, i am absolutely, 100%, not willing to die for it, particularly at the hands of some drunk.

And today on walkingforums.com and factorylife.com another 100 deaths were posted.

Cycling is not a life-threatening activity.

RIP Mike. Thoughts and positive energy to your survivors.

Matthew
06-29-2017, 03:32 PM
Man this just sucks. I am sure at some point I must have seen Mike at an MTB race here in Michigan. Sounds like an incredible guy. Another senseless death. RIP Mike.

Dead Man
06-29-2017, 04:20 PM
And today on walkingforums.com and factorylife.com another 100 deaths were posted.

Cycling is not a life-threatening activity.

RIP Mike. Thoughts and positive energy to your survivors.

Hear hear.

Cycling is not only safer than other stuff we do all the time, but is obviously a very healthful activity.

Can't let sensationalism win, guis.

Good vibes to Mike's survivors .. and I hope they are vindicated by the court.

SpeedyChix
06-29-2017, 10:07 PM
Thanks for posting this. I started to yesterday but couldn't finish it.
An excellent image from Jason Mahokey

We'll miss Mike on the bike, in the kayak, on the skinny skies, rock walls, traveling, entertaining, being referred to as a pirate. One who was willing to share, teach, help anyone and everyone.

(some of you may know Jason as thesoiledchamois)

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/922/xhcnR2.jpg (https://imageshack.com/i/pmxhcnR2j)