PDA

View Full Version : Biggest 10 speed cassette out there?

d_douglas
06-29-2017, 11:54 AM
I have a 1x10 speed SLX group that is in stellar condition on my bike and I think it works very well. My one gripe is that the range isn't as big as I would like. I cant justify the cash for a new M7000 cassette, shifter, chain, rear derailleur, so I am looking for alternatives to increase the range on my 32t Raceface ring and an 11-36 cassette.

Can an M675 rear derailleur handle an 11-46 cassette if I were to just buy a cassette and shifter? Just curious.

Is there a good quality 10 speed 11-42 cassette out there? If so, how much are they? I know I can get a 30t ring, but I think the bigger cassette would be a better tool for increasing range.

This is for a 29er FS bike made for steep climbs/drops, so the bigger gear range the better. I am going on a trip with friends at the end of July and would rather not be off the bike, walking up hills, if possible.

I will reserve the walk of shame for my lack of fitness!! :D

dem
06-29-2017, 12:06 PM
If you just need a bigger cog and you're semi-handy, you can get one of the mega-cog hacks:

https://www.wolftoothcomponents.com/collections/cassette-cogs/products/giant-cog-for-shimano
https://www.oneupcomponents.com/products/42-tooth-sprocket

I have the OneUP+16T+RADCage on my mountain bike, and works pretty well (95% I'd say, and certainly cheaper than a whole new cassette/rd/etc.)

v531xc
06-29-2017, 12:15 PM
SunRace makes the MS3 and MX3 11-42 10 speed cassettes. They're about as much as mid-range Shimano or Sram cassettes and came OEM on a few bikes in the past year.

d_douglas
06-29-2017, 12:20 PM
Can an M675 rear derailleur handle an 11-46 cassette if I were to just buy a cassette and shifter? Just curious.

Yes, SunRace - Ive heard about these and they look OK, but I am sceptical.

weaponsgrade
06-29-2017, 12:28 PM
I just got an 11-42 10 speed Sun Race. I haven't spent much time on it, but my initial impression is that it's quite nice. Shifting in the stand is good. Looks nicely machined w/ all the shift ramps and not too heavy especially considering its size. And at $50 the price was right.

gdw
06-29-2017, 01:15 PM
I haven't used the Sunrace cassettes but have a friend who has one on his fat bike with a Goatlink and Microshift thumbshifters. He's running the shifters nonindexed and claims that it's the smoothest and best shifting drivetrain he's ever had on an mtb.

NHAero
06-29-2017, 01:20 PM
I'm using a 11-40 Sunrace on my drop bar Litespeed, works fine with 10 speed Dura Ace barcon shifter and RD-M772 non-clutch derailleur. Reversed the B screw IIRC.

d_douglas
06-29-2017, 01:25 PM
I just looked and my local MEC (aka REI) has the SunRace cassettes there for $90CAD (about $65USD).

It hurts to buy this when an SLX M7000 costs the same (but then I need $200 worth of shifters and derailleurs to back that up).

I might just do 10,000 squats before I leave and pedal this bike up hills rather than walk them up!!

ColonelJLloyd
06-29-2017, 02:01 PM
Yes, SunRace - Ive heard about these and they look OK, but I am sceptical.

Skeptical about what? A cassette is not a particularly complicated or advanced component; it's a consumable. The only thing more money buys with regard to a cassette is some degree of weight savings. SunRace makes different levels of cassettes just like Shimano, SRAM and Campagnolo. I'm sure it's every bit as "nice" as an SLX level cassette.

d_douglas
06-29-2017, 02:08 PM
Yes, I know. I just feel like Shimano has their drivetrains pretty dialled, and used a non-Shimano part might be messing with a winning combination ?

I am a Campy road guy and while all signs point to the use of a Shimano 11cassette with Campy, I would be apprehensive about doing it. I'm just simple.

ColonelJLloyd
06-29-2017, 02:12 PM
Yes, I know. I just feel like Shimano has their drivetrains pretty dialled, and used a non-Shimano part might be messing with a winning combination ?

No. The cassette has the same cog spacing and ramps/profiling. It's a 10s MTB drivetrain not a clock.

I've run Shimano and SunRace cassettes with my SRAM drivetrain. It operates as if the drivetrain is an inanimate object and cannot tell the difference. Crazy, but true. ;)

AngryScientist
06-29-2017, 02:15 PM
i can confirm that sunrace cassettes shift nicely. i like 'em!

this is 11-sp and works like a cassette should work.

https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-bBBWvatbkGs/WR72rA_yjEI/AAAAAAAACy0/sHEHq3epfg0BC2PnBueBzMGUZWxBFB7zACLcB/s940/drivetrain.JPG

AngryScientist
06-29-2017, 02:16 PM
also - it's black, so it never looks filthy :)

sandyrs
06-29-2017, 02:20 PM
also - it's black, so it -n-e-v-e-r- always looks filthy :)

Fixed that for you ;)