PDA

View Full Version : Bobike install - how do you fit it?

Dekonick
08-29-2006, 01:42 PM
for those of you who have bobike's - I am having trouble installing mine. I can't get the 'collar' to fit around my stem. I am using a 1" stem but with no luck. It will work on a quill, but not a 1" steerer with spacers. Do you remove the spacers and use the collar as the spacers? I can *almost* get it to fit, and could file or grind away enough of one spacer so the threaded portion will go, but this seems like it shouldn't be the solution. I do not know if the collar can act as spacers (it feels like a hard rubber, which makes me leary.)

The instructions that came with it suck so any advice is welcome.

IF anyone can understand the above please help! :)

The little boy thanks you for your advice in this matter.

christian
08-29-2006, 04:19 PM
As far as I know, the Bobike ONLY works with 22.2mm OD quill stems.

If there is a new Bobike that works with threadless steerers, it's news to me.

- Christian

tbushnel
08-29-2006, 05:20 PM
As far as I know, the Bobike ONLY works with 22.2mm OD quill stems.
If there is a new Bobike that works with threadless steerers, it's news to me.
- Christian

Yeah, that was my impression as well. I found an old cheap Mt bike with a threaded HS and quill stem to use specifically with the Bobike. I guess I didn't think much about it because I knew going in that I had to get a new/used bike to pedal my son around anyway (wouldn't work on the track bike geo though it has a quill stem, and my road has a carbon steerer tube).

I assumed that it would require a quill stem, but you are right the directions are not so good and as I recall, the website does not clarrify the issue, though I could be wrong. Sorry Dek, I hope I didn't steer you the wrong way by failing to note that restriction. I didn't even think about it.

If you go the cheap used route like I did, look for a bike with a longish TT and a short high-rise stem. You really need all the knee room you can get. I snatched up the first cheap bike I could find cause I wanted to take advantage of some good weather (and I was just impatient). Unfortunately I did not allow for adequate knee room. With its short TT and longish stem I have to pedal with knees out a bit. Not such a big deal riding around the neighborhood, but it is not ideal.

Good luck.

Ted

Dekonick
08-29-2006, 08:22 PM
Hmmmm - I guess I'll have to use my F1 threaded fork on another frame so I can use a quill.

The only bike's I have that will work is my first Serotta and a 1990's Eddy Merckx Ti - both ~1992 to ~1994is frames. I don't know about the TT on the EM, but my Colorado CR has a 54" TT- guess Ill try the Merckx first (its a fixee anyway so won't be hard to switch out)

Oops...