PDA

View Full Version : Torque Wrenches? Affordable option?

PNW
06-28-2017, 10:45 AM
I have been looking for a torque wrench that's not super expensive and found the Ritchey 6 Bit Torque Key. I have read very positive reviews on it. Although it's small, I feel like this would be a good thing for me to have considering carbon post, stem, handlebars, steer tube..

Any advice for this or naysayers?

bentaco
06-28-2017, 10:59 AM
The Ritchey key (and other keys that come with a pre-set torque) work well in my experience. The obvious disadvantage is that not every component on your bike is torqued to the same spec. It's useful if you have carbon bars/carbon seatpost that require a similar torque, as those are things you might be adjusting during a ride. For something you'd use at home, you definitely need something that allows you to measure the torque being applied.

An affordable option for something you might consider at home is the IceToolz wrench set (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015DJGECA/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1). It works between 3nm-10nm, and fits the majority of my use cases. For higher torque requirements (things like cranks), you can buy a cheap beam style wrench.

Elefantino
06-28-2017, 10:59 AM
Have one at home, use one in the shop. A good tool to have.

R3awak3n
06-28-2017, 11:00 AM
what is affordable to you?

I, and many foru have the CDI

https://www.protorquetools.com/2-8-nm-cdi-torqcontrol-adjustable-torque-wrench-tla28nm/?dfw_tracker=17907-144&gclid=Cj0KEQjwp83KBRC2kev0tZzExLkBEiQAYxYXOliSOWD5 l4EBkZ3tCYpM6zYUMprVp0Lsk5U7Ds7K6yoaAqSw8P8HAQ

its a great tool. Inexpensive and comes in very handy all the time. As said the ritchey can only do 5mn torque so its useless for anything but stems. The CDI is adjustable from 2 to 8 which is what most people need (although I do wish it went to 12)

cmbicycles
06-28-2017, 11:01 AM
I have a Ritchey that has a "fixed" bit. I unfixed it so I can use other sizes, but it is so small I find it inconvenient to hold and twist. A slightly larger handle would be my preference.

Park makes a slightly adjustable torque wrench that is good for bars and stems and other small stuff. CDI also makes a pistol grip wrench that is supposed to be pretty nice and more adjustable.

MagicHour
06-28-2017, 11:12 AM
I just got the newer version of that Icetoolz wrench. Looks good -will give it a thorough test on a build Im doing soon; seems really handy for 3-10Nm tasks along with my 4,5 Torqkeys which I use all the time. Just need to pull out my big and clumsy to use Craftsman beam wrench for BBs, Cranks and Cassettes now.
https://www.picclickimg.com/d/l400/pict/142405367706_/IceToolz-E219-Ocarina-Torque-Wrench-Bike-Repair-Tool.jpg
The Ritchey key (and other keys that come with a pre-set torque) work well in my experience. The obvious disadvantage is that not every component on your bike is torqued to the same spec. It's useful if you have carbon bars/carbon seatpost that require a similar torque, as those are things you might be adjusting during a ride. For something you'd use at home, you definitely need something that allows you to measure the torque being applied.

An affordable option for something you might consider at home is the IceToolz wrench set (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015DJGECA/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1). It works between 3nm-10nm, and fits the majority of my use cases. For higher torque requirements (things like cranks), you can buy a cheap beam style wrench.

FlashUNC
06-28-2017, 11:17 AM
Silca Ti Torque.

Various torque levels for the small bits. Tons of bit options and portable so you bring it along on the ride.

It's pretty killer.

rwerkudara
06-28-2017, 11:20 AM
This is a good deal on Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/VENZO-Bicycle-Torque-Wrench-Socket/dp/B00811WQT8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1498135310&sr=8-1&keywords=shimano+pro+torque+wrench) Has all the bits i'd ever need.

jtbadge
06-28-2017, 11:24 AM
I have the Park Tool ATD-1, and I'm pretty happy with it. Adjustable torque spec. Handle holds a few different bits inside.

Obviously only has range for cockpit parts, and not BBs, etc.

http://www.parktool.com/assets/img/product/_productDetail/ATD-1_002.jpg

tylercheung
06-28-2017, 11:28 AM
What about for the 40 Nm spec? you'd need a full torque wrench (+ set?). I think cassette changes would be for 40 Nm, I think?

Also a little OT - how tight do you torque the (rim) brake mounting bolts to the fork/rear bridge? I assume you'd want it tight enough not to be able to rotate the brake by hand, or is it not as tight as I'd assumed?

PNW
06-28-2017, 11:31 AM
I am looking for a torque wrench that only does seat post, stem, bars...that's pretty much it.

PNW
06-28-2017, 11:33 AM

https://www.protorquetools.com/2-8-nm-cdi-torqcontrol-adjustable-torque-wrench-tla28nm/?dfw_tracker=17907-144&gclid=Cj0KEQjwp83KBRC2kev0tZzExLkBEiQAYxYXOliSOWD5 l4EBkZ3tCYpM6zYUMprVp0Lsk5U7Ds7K6yoaAqSw8P8HAQ

its a great tool. Inexpensive and comes in very handy all the time. As said the ritchey can only do 5mn torque so its useless for anything but stems. The CDI is adjustable from 2 to 8 which is what most people need (although I do wish it went to 12)

Under $50.

wpod
06-28-2017, 12:11 PM
Ritchey user here. Works great for cockpit, brakes, cages etc as only goes to +/-6nm. Excellent tool, handy and easy to use.

cgolvin
06-28-2017, 12:15 PM
+1 on the Silca product, but primarily for portability and nice design.
The biggest bit is H6 so not suitable for cranks, BB, etc. (as previously mentioned).

cpamplin
06-28-2017, 12:16 PM
I have had the CDI for about three years, it is awesome. That and a Park 3-way hex wrench are probably my most used tools.

PNW
06-28-2017, 01:03 PM
I've narrowed it down to the CDI and VENZO...I think I am going to go with the CDI! Anything more than 8Nm I won't be doing myself.

PNW
06-28-2017, 01:15 PM
I have had the CDI for about three years, it is awesome. That and a Park 3-way hex wrench are probably my most used tools.

Biketiresdirect has like 3 different 3-way hex wrenches...which one? AWS-1 or AWS-8?

Fatty
06-28-2017, 01:36 PM
I am looking for a torque wrench that only does seat post, stem, bars...that's pretty much it.

Then you'd be well served by the Ritchey. I own three torque wrenches including the Ritchey key, it is the one that is used most often.

commonguy001
06-28-2017, 01:37 PM
Another Ritchey Torque Key user.
I also have the Park bar type torque wrench (not to mention full size automotive stuff) and use the Ritchey way more often.

PNW
06-28-2017, 01:48 PM
I grabbed a Ritchey 5Nm because that's all I will really need and under $20 is a great price! Thanks guys!

pdmtong
06-28-2017, 01:50 PM

I have both an older Ritchey and this Bontrager (http://www.trekbicyclesuperstore.com/product/bontrager-preset-torque-wrench-76318-1.htm)

My older Ritchey with the fixed bit was made into a multi-bit tool by heating up the end, softening the glue, and now I have an adjustable bit Ritchey.

If a single 4mm is sufficient, the Bontrager fits nicer in the hand.

PNW
06-28-2017, 01:57 PM
This doesn't look too bad either...

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/us/en/x-tools-essential-torque-wrench-set/rp-prod155414

djg21
06-28-2017, 02:13 PM
I have been looking for a torque wrench that's not super expensive and found the Ritchey 6 Bit Torque Key. I have read very positive reviews on it. Although it's small, I feel like this would be a good thing for me to have considering carbon post, stem, handlebars, steer tube..

Any advice for this or naysayers?

I have one I keep in my travel bag. It works. In my home shop, I keep a Effetto Mariposa Giustaforza that I’ve had for many years and was well worth the money.

Louis
06-28-2017, 02:34 PM
+1 on CDI for small to mid-range torque wrenches.

For the much bigger ones I just get Craftsman.

cpamplin
06-28-2017, 03:12 PM
Biketiresdirect has like 3 different 3-way hex wrenches...which one? AWS-1 or AWS-8?

I have a few but the one I use most is AWS-3. For fenders, brake pads, etc.

cadence90
06-28-2017, 03:46 PM

This.

(CDI) Under $50.

This.

This.

+1 on CDI for small to mid-range torque wrenches.

For the much bigger ones I just get Craftsman.

This is the exact combination that I have and use.

The Silca thing may be OK, but goes to less torque, and the "portability" means that the numbers are actually illegible unless you also carry a magnifying glass.

PNW
06-28-2017, 03:47 PM
This.

This.

This.

This is the exact combination that I have and use.

The Silca thing may be OK, but goes to less torque, and the "portability" means that the numbers are actually illegible unless you also carry a magnifying glass.

I ended up finding the CDI shipped to my door priority for $49...I am just going to go this route! Where is the best place to find the Craftsman tool?

cadence90
06-28-2017, 03:54 PM
I ended up finding the CDI shipped to my door priority for $49...I am just going to go this route! Where is the best place to find the Craftsman tool?

From Pro Torque Tools? Excellent choice. You will love it.
Also, the CDI is certified, fwiw; I don't think the Silca is.

I got my Craftsman from Sears, many years ago. Those things are beasts: Sears new, or eBay/Craigslist used.

PNW
06-28-2017, 03:55 PM
From Pro Torque Tools? Excellent choice. You will love it.
Also, the CDI is certified, fwiw; I don't think the Silca is.

I got my Craftsman from Sears, many years ago. Those things are beasts: Sears new, or eBay/Craigslist used.

Actually eBay! Pro Torque Tools was $55 plus $11 shipping..

Perfect! I have a Craftsman mechanic tool set that has worked wonders but I don't believe it came with a torque set.

R3awak3n
06-28-2017, 04:02 PM
you are smart to just get the CDI because I gurantee you would have bought the ritchey and in like 2 months by the CDI.

I also have the silca, its great for what it is and it does have same amount of top torque as the CDI but not as nice to use, not even close.

oldpotatoe
06-29-2017, 09:31 AM
I have one I keep in my travel bag. It works. In my home shop, I keep a Effetto Mariposa Giustaforza that I’ve had for many years and was well worth the money.

Me too...worth it for just the name..but it works really well.