PDA

View Full Version : Campy Disc Brakes...when do these arrive on the market

Tommasini53
06-27-2017, 07:17 AM
Does anyone know when the Campy disc brakes will arrive in shops? I've read the reviews, but could not find a discussion of the ETA in shops.

sales guy
06-27-2017, 07:19 AM
Officially this fall after the shows. So like September. I have a set on the way for a bike. I'll post pics when I get them in. I also have a new Potnza kit on the way. A FSA WE kit, Shimano R8000 Ultegra kit. And a Rotor ONE hydro shifting/braking kit too.

ultraman6970
06-27-2017, 07:21 AM
Rotor ONE hydro shifting/braking kit <-- Ultra is super curious about this one.

oldpotatoe
06-27-2017, 07:52 AM
Does anyone know when the Campy disc brakes will arrive in shops? I've read the reviews, but could not find a discussion of the ETA in shops.

First OE(as limited as that is) in Europe then to a few OE in the US..then to distributors in the US. I'm guessing some of the likely suspects in the UK will see it October-ish..I'm guessing November for the US..

Alan
06-27-2017, 07:53 AM
I am planning on buying a Centaur group when they are released to put on my Fierte IT. Should be good bang for the buck and great gearing for climbing.

Alan

sales guy
06-27-2017, 08:01 AM
Rotor ONE hydro shifting/braking kit <-- Ultra is super curious about this one.

Yeah. Me too. I didn't get to play with it at NAHBS or INterbike. And originally we had a FSA WE kit planned for a build and the tester had a bad reaction from Sea Otter. I loved it when I played with it at NAHBS. So we talked it over and were looking at a R8000 kit and ended up with a Rotor kit. His choice. It'll have a set of Lightweight Meilenstein Clinchers, Thomson carbon cockpit and a custom XCr frame in British Racing Green with some exposed stainless. Should turn out nice.

We are doing the WE kit on someone else bike now. Same with the R8000.

For those wondering, the SRAM Hydro Etap is listed as mid-July release.
Shimano R8000 mechanical is call your rep(september)
Shimano R8000 Di2 is call your rep(september/october)
FSA WE is September/October
Campagnolo H11 is september/october(I have pricing tho) QBP lists small parts coming in July 31 tho.
Rotor ONE kit- have no idea. They haven't told me.

sales guy
06-27-2017, 08:02 AM
I am planning on buying a Centaur group when they are released to put on my Fierte IT. Should be good bang for the buck and great gearing for climbing.

Alan

Centaur is listed the end of July thru Q but that might be off by a couple weeks.

ultraman6970
06-27-2017, 08:35 AM
I was looking at the videos of WE and the thing looks super nice..

sales guy
06-27-2017, 09:03 AM
I was looking at the videos of WE and the thing looks super nice..

I was hesitant on it at first. But honestly, they have done an incredible job with it. It shifts beautifully. The shapes of the hoods and levers is perfect. The options are dialed.

Here's the breakdown:

The chain, it's made by a company who makes garage door chains and other heavy use/weight activities. So it's super solid, durable and long lasting.

The shifter/brake levers, there is a small and large hand size lever. So it'll fit everyone comfortably. The hoods had a great feel and the rubber used was nice and comfy and grippy without gloves.

ALL of the bolts, pivots and nut, ALL of them are stainless steel or titanium. NO CORROSION!!! That's a massive massive plus in my book!

The brake calipers, they use a reversible bolt. So the center pivot bolt can be switched from a short reach to long reach all in one caliper. Super cool option.

They will have everything small parts wise and they are totally serviceable. Again, massive plus! The little paddles on the shifters, the pivots, everything is gonna be available.

At the end of NAHBS, honestly, I couldn't think of anything bad about the kit. The shifting was super clean and crisp. Set up was easy and took like 2 minutes total to get the derailleurs dialed in and I didn't need a laptop.

I'm not 100% sure what happened at Sea Otter. I know they had two stands with the kit in it. I guess Matt went to one of them and no one like tech guys was there to help and something happened that killed the test of it. It supposedly was flawless up till then at booth tents. In the end it is what it is. And we ended up switching to the Rotor ONE kit.

FSA wanted a frame for the NAHBS booth and we offered one up which is how we got on it. Calfee, us, No22, CoMotion and one other had bikes of varying material. Ours was the full ti. 22 had a ti carbon. Calfee was carbon lugged. Someone had carbon tube to tube and CoMotion had a steel frame. So they had a nice mix of frames and materials there. Glad we got to be a part of it and got to play with it backstage more. Really liked it.

Duende
06-27-2017, 10:11 AM
I'm told my H11 upgrade kit is at the shop. Only thing still not in our the rotors which are due to arrive in a week or so.

Will report back asap as soon as it's up and running. Still need to decide in some cl wheels though!

sales guy
06-27-2017, 10:42 AM
Not sure who they're getting their kits thru, but QBP doesn't show anything till next month and I get my stuff straight from Campagnolo USA/Italy as an OEM Builder. And Q is the norm for bike shops for parts. Curious who they're getting stuff thru/from?

Kirk007
06-27-2017, 12:19 PM
well they may beat sram etap hrd. Thought Sram was going to be available June 23rd but obviously blew threw that.

sales guy
06-27-2017, 12:29 PM
well they may beat sram etap hrd. Thought Sram was going to be available June 23rd but obviously blew threw that.

Yeah, they did. I have a frame waiting for a kit. Q is showing 7/18 but who knows if that'll be real.

ultraman6970
06-27-2017, 12:34 PM
What fsa needs to do just to f... the other manufacturers is to add an option because now a days sure the chip they are using has a lot of space for improving, they should just make available campagnolo and shimano 8/9/10 and 11 speeds spacing with just a click, that will put them in the map big time.

BTW I been saying this for a while and none of the people that has electronic done it yet. I doubt the spacing has a patent but who knows :D

sales guy
06-27-2017, 01:49 PM
Here's a note from Rotor about the kit:

Right now, we are only releasing UNO groups to custom builders. We have limited production capacity and limited technical support, so we want to launch it carefully in this country. We plan to do a broader release in the late fall, which should fit in with the timing for the Enigma review.

Retail is $2500, 8 piece group, so everything except crank/rings/BB. It’s been a hot item, so we’re excited for this partnership!

Kirk007
06-27-2017, 01:53 PM
Yeah, they did. I have a frame waiting for a kit. Q is showing 7/18 but who knows if that'll be real.

hmmm, well for me the good news is my inbound frame is still a ways out, but delay doesn't work to SRAM's favor with all these other options coming to market!

yarg
06-27-2017, 02:04 PM
Having SRAM etap hrd installed on my ti warbird as we speak. Should be done by end of the week. I'll post some pics.

ultraman6970
06-27-2017, 02:57 PM
What is the enigma review?? Edward Nigma? :D E.Nigma?

cgolvin
06-27-2017, 03:35 PM
ALL of the bolts, pivots and nut, ALL of them are stainless steel or titanium. NO CORROSION!!! That's a massive massive plus in my book!

Shocked — SHOCKED! — to read this after your comment to me regarding the Thule heads ;-)

sales guy
06-27-2017, 04:14 PM
Shocked — SHOCKED! — to read this after your comment to me regarding the Thule heads ;-)

Even highend Campy super record has some steel hardware. It's crazy. And super awesome that FSA is doing this. Very well thought out.

sales guy
06-27-2017, 04:15 PM
What is the enigma review?? Edward Nigma? :D E.Nigma?

Serious or joking?

Duende
06-28-2017, 12:41 AM
Not sure who they're getting their kits thru, but QBP doesn't show anything till next month and I get my stuff straight from Campagnolo USA/Italy as an OEM Builder. And Q is the norm for bike shops for parts. Curious who they're getting stuff thru/from?

No idea, but they didn't make it sound anything like they were getting some advanced order or anything like that. Sounds pretty much business as usual really.

ultraman6970
06-28-2017, 06:31 AM
The part about the Joker was a joke... the serious part is that I have no clue what the Enigma Review is, maybe Im missing the stuff in the translation and im thinking in the wrong thing.

Serious or joking?

tuscanyswe
06-28-2017, 06:45 AM
The part about the Joker was a joke... the serious part is that I have no clue what the Enigma Review is, maybe Im missing the stuff in the translation and im thinking in the wrong thing.

Enigma is a UK based frame manufacturer. Titanium even (and steel or at least used to be steel as well). They are nice bikes.

Tommasini53
06-28-2017, 07:04 AM

Thank you for the information. I'm ordering up a gravel frame and of course all the parts. now i have a timeline to work with. have you seen a price tag on Chorus level calipers?? thanks again. :banana:

peanutgallery
06-28-2017, 08:43 AM
With Campy, production is all about timing....and waiting. There isn't a factory full of magical cycling factory elves eagerly commuting via unicorn to a production facility that's churning out parts 24/7. Think more of a bored, middle-aged Italian guy with a cigarette hanging out of his mouth that begrudgingly shows up for work during short windows of time between Easter/summer vacation and Christmas/Easter

For anyone in the biz that's dealt with production in the Boot, patience is key

It is heartening to see that Campy has made the commitment to disc as the only rim braked bikes rolling out of a LBS are either super, low-end comfort bikes and high-end road with race geometry. Everything else seems to have transitioned to disc. From a nostalgia standpoint, I hope that they're successful.

Example:
This one sell fairly well
https://www.specialized.com/us/en/bikes/fitness/fitness/17rollrollsportlowentry/116175

sales guy
06-28-2017, 02:03 PM
Enigma is a UK based frame manufacturer. Titanium even (and steel or at least used to be steel as well). They are nice bikes.

Titanium, steel and stainless steel frames made about 50 miles southeast of London.

sales guy
06-28-2017, 02:05 PM

Oh, gotcha.

I have a bike going to Bicycling Magazine, one to VeloNews, one to PEZ and 3 others. When I said Enigma Review I meant the bike we are making that's being reviewed.

ultraman6970
06-28-2017, 04:34 PM
THanks... for the record... E.Nygma= the riddle :D Ultra's pop culture minute :P

sales guy
06-28-2017, 04:53 PM
Those Bat Man movies were LAME!!! The first two Michael Keaton ones were awesome. But the Val Kilmer/George Clooney ones were bad.

I got the gist on the E Nigma joke. That's why I asked if you were serious or joking.

krhea
06-28-2017, 05:56 PM
Campy disc are already in the states and being used for builds. A local shop has now built two bikes using them including a C60. The entire package from levers to mounts look incredibly nice.

sales guy
06-28-2017, 07:11 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if they're on some bikes like from Colnago. Production bikes usually have product first. But as an aftermarket kit, not sure where people are getting them from. I'd love to know so I can get some and not have to wait.

krhea
06-28-2017, 10:27 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if they're on some bikes like from Colnago. Production bikes usually have product first. But as an aftermarket kit, not sure where people are getting them from. I'd love to know so I can get some and not have to wait.

These were not "on" nor did they come with the C60. These were sourced separately, no idea if by shop or customer. Like I said, this was the second local bike with them installed as individual components. I didn't think to ask how they were acquired. If I get the chance I'll ask.

Duende
06-28-2017, 11:50 PM

Above Category.