PDA

View Full Version : Mtn seatpost rec needed

LegendRider
06-26-2017, 09:05 PM
A friend of mine is 6'4" and 230 lbs. He's broken two posts on his aluminum Cannondale 29er and needs a recommendation for something *strong.* First post was (I think) a Cannondale house brand and the second was an FSA. Are Thomson's the way to go?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

sales guy
06-26-2017, 09:31 PM
Thomson would be good. The standard Elite model. But honestly, a Kalloy Uno wouldn't be bad either. Not stupidly heavy. Not stupid expensive. And come in silver or black.

cmbicycles
06-26-2017, 09:43 PM
Go to Lowes and get a section of black iron pipe and a flange fitting. bolt the saddle to the flange and you are good to go. ;)

Thompson Elite would be my 1st choice. How much post is exposed and how is he breaking them? Is the saddle centered on the post?

bikinchris
06-26-2017, 09:43 PM
Yes, stay away from weight weenie stuff. Standard Thomson and Kalloy or Nitto get my vote also. Nitto still makes cold forged seatposts, but they only come in 27.2 size.

jmal
06-26-2017, 10:00 PM
The aluminum Syntace post is good. My personal experience says it is stronger than Thomson Elite. I believe it is forged rather than machined from billet. The clamp is a two bolt style but it has a larger lower platform than other similar clamps.

DRZRM
06-26-2017, 10:37 PM
I'm 6'3" and his weight give or take 10 lbs. I broke a several light weight seatposts when I was a younger man, now all my bikes have either a Thomson or a Moots on it, except for my droppers, and even one of those is a Thomson.

vqdriver
06-26-2017, 10:46 PM
I think any of the standard AM type posts should be ok. Or use this as a good excuse to get a dropper