PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on compact handlebar

dekindy
06-26-2017, 08:44 PM
Time to replace FSA Wing Compact bars purchased in 2011, size 40. Is there a current FSA model that exactly duplicates these bars? If no direct replacement, what brand/model would you recommend? I have small hands.

Also complicated by also replacing Shimano Ultegra 6600 series groups with SRAM eTap.

Have read a lot of the threads but is hard to follow on not sure if historical observations are still accurate.

SpokeValley
06-26-2017, 08:59 PM
I just tried to find these, too. Merlin Cycles has some.

FSA seems to have gone to "Gossamer Compact Alloy" to replace the Gossamer Wing. I bought a set for Mrs. Valley and they do have a flattened top, but it's not as wide as the Wings. Still is comfortable to her, though.

PM sent. I have a good, used pair if you want to find a replacement. ;0)

PNW
06-26-2017, 09:15 PM
What kind of reach are you wanting? I just picked up a set of Deda Superleggero and reach is perfect as well as the drops...I have smaller hands as well and ride a 42cm. I know the Enve Compact bar has a shorter reach and drop but the $$$ is high. I love the Deda cause it's just as good as Enve, looks great, and is a perfect compact bar for me.

bismo37
06-26-2017, 10:02 PM
I used to like the FSA Wing Compacts until I discovered the Pro Vibes... Switched to PRO Vibe 7S bars despite the crappy tribal pattern logos that I acetone'd off. Looks like the newer version's logo is more subtle: https://www.westernbikeworks.com/product/pro-vibe-alloy-compact-handlebar

For my newest builds I've been going with Fizik bars (the noncompact "snake" version though Fizik has a "bull" version which is compact).

pdmtong
06-26-2017, 11:43 PM
Thre was a time where the FSA "wing" bars were the coveted ones...but I never took to the flat and the sharper trailing edge.

Ritchey evo/evolution works better for me since the top is wider but more elliptical in cross section so when on the tops it still gives a lot of support but there is no defined trailing edge to palm dig when suffering up hill

More specifically, ritchey evo is round, evolution is anatomic.

Go for the evo curve.

Note they flare and measure is c-c at the ends. so I size up. Normally would ride a 42 but in evo/evolution I like a 44 so I get the right width at the hoods.

campy and sram can both be set up with a flat transition from the flats to the bend to the hoods (mech or electric). I like that a lot since plenty of same drop real estate to slide around on.

ahumblecycler
06-27-2017, 03:03 AM
Take a look at Williams Cycling Maxim handlebar. I rode one for a couple of years and found it quite comfortable for all types of cycling. The price is good too.

Gummee
06-27-2017, 11:02 AM
Ergonova bars have the flatter tops and short reach/drop too

HTH

M

dekindy
06-27-2017, 01:32 PM
FSA customer service recommends the Energy Compact in alloy and K-Wing Compact in carbon.

dekindy
07-01-2017, 02:53 PM
Have tentatively decided on Zipp Service Course bars.

However since have not received many comments and research has not uncovered anything definitive; thought I would bring this to the top.

dekindy
07-01-2017, 03:18 PM
Take a look at Williams Cycling Maxim handlebar. I rode one for a couple of years and found it quite comfortable for all types of cycling. The price is good too.

Darn it, somehow missed that a reviewer on Amazon indicates that these are a great alternative to FSA Wing.

sparky33
07-01-2017, 05:45 PM
The FSA Wing Pro Compact bar is now called the Energy Compact. Same bar, new name.
fwiw The Zipp SL70 Ergo is similar and very nice....same effective drop and reach (despite differences in stated figures) and has just about the nicest flattened top section.
SRAM levers mate nicely with all of these.

bitpuddle
07-01-2017, 10:07 PM
I’m a big fan of Zipp’s SL 70 ergo bars. Reasonably prices and stiff. The tops are flattened a bit and have a nice, thick platform for gripping. These with the sl stem are a nice, stiff combination (I don’t like noodly steering).