PDA

View Full Version : Product Report: KASK Protone

PNW
06-26-2017, 07:11 PM
I ended up going with a KASK Protone for my helmet and wow...this is the best helmet that I have ever tried on and used.

It's incredibly adjustable with its retention system vertically and horizontally which is a big bonus for me. You never know what manufacture will fit your head the best but I have always been a Prevail user because it fit my dome but this one is feels even better and the ventilation is superb. To be honest, I don't care much about being "aero" which this helmet is...but it doesn't hurt does it? The bag that comes with the helmet is quality and I love the leather chin strap that they use.

For me, fit is the most important part but looks do come in to consideration personally. This helmet is very good looking, doesn't look like a mushroom or an alien landing strip, and is very sleek. I know the price tag is up there..$300 retail but if you can find an additional sale on top of marked down pricing...you can snag one new for $175 like I did which I am very happy with.

Thumbs up for the KASK Protone! :hello:

velotrack
06-26-2017, 07:30 PM
nice! i've got a few questions for the protone owners out there - i wear a medium giro synthe, would i be a medium in the protone?

and where can you get it for $175? :p

Bentley
06-26-2017, 07:40 PM
I think Excel Sports has a Protone for around 175

Ray

PNW
06-26-2017, 07:41 PM
nice! i've got a few questions for the protone owners out there - i wear a medium giro synthe, would i be a medium in the protone?

and where can you get it for $175? :p

Yes, you would wear a medium. I got mine at Ribble because they had a helmet sale on top of an already great price.

PNW
06-26-2017, 07:42 PM
I think Excel Sports has a Protone for around 175

Ray

They have the limited special ones for $170. The regular colors are looking full price to me.

joosttx
06-26-2017, 09:51 PM
I like be my protone. It's my favorite helmet too.

sf_rinaldi
06-26-2017, 11:30 PM
I guess Excel is sold out!

Duende
06-26-2017, 11:33 PM
Love the protons! But need some new pads... that came off on day one. I heard they send replacements for free

JasonF
06-27-2017, 06:46 AM
Trent,

Is sizing the same as the Prevail? I need to replace my 5 year old helmet and the Kask is at the top of the heap.

happycampyer
06-27-2017, 07:40 AM
I like the leather straps on Kask helmets until... I don't. After a lot of summer riding, the leather eventually goes, long before nylon straps do. I have the Protone and one of the earlier models (Vertigo?) and love the fit on both. On longer rides on warmer days, I wear a different helmet.

simplemind
06-27-2017, 08:09 AM
Love the protons! But need some new pads... that came off on day one. I heard they send replacements for free

Agree, they didn't put much money in the materials they use for the forehead pad as mine did the same as yours. For the price they should be ashamed at putting a cheap sweat pad in the otherwise stellar helmet, or at least spring for including extras @ $.30 each.
I also had an issue with one of the rear mini pads, which can get caught on the strap and pulled loose from it's mounting. Again, it was just bonded with some pressure sensitive adhesive that could easily pull loose.

earlfoss
06-27-2017, 08:20 AM
+1 on the Protone being an excellent helmet. It's the nicest one I've ever owned. It's one of those things that you pick up, look at, and get why they charge what they do for them.

They also perform as expected in a crash. My first Protone saved my brain.

ultraman6970
06-27-2017, 08:28 AM
I always thought that the leather strap was going to be a problem at some point, leather is nice but darn sweat is like Aliens blood...

PNW
06-27-2017, 09:23 AM
Trent,

Is sizing the same as the Prevail? I need to replace my 5 year old helmet and the Kask is at the top of the heap.

For me it was the same but the Protone feels a bit more fitted to me which I like. It doesn't feel as cheap/mass produced either and looks better IMO. I'm not saying the Prevail is cheap but the Protone just feels better (Italian Made maybe?! LOL). I'd recommend it Jason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PNW
06-27-2017, 09:24 AM
I always thought that the leather strap was going to be a problem at some point, leather is nice but darn sweat is like Aliens blood...

Haha! It's nice but I haven't been out on a super long ride yet. I guess we will see, I'll comment on it with a ride report.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk