PDA

View Full Version : Help with Thule QR replacement

cgolvin
06-26-2017, 06:05 PM
I've had my Thule square bar rack for a couple of decades. Recently one of the quick release screw caps loosened itself and fell off while I was driving. Seeing an opportunity, I'd like to replace the piece that attaches to the bike channel and mounts on the cross bar with a [slightly] newer alternative that includes a locking mechanism.

Unfortunately, neither Thule nor third party retailers have been much help in suggesting the correct part to fit the bill. I suspect it's too much to hope for a new replacement part, so am hoping that someone here has the setup I have in mind and can provide a part number, description, photo, or anything else that will give me confidence that what I find on eBay or elsewhere will:
1) be compatible with my rack, and
2) include a lock.

Here's (https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B7tMqJSUFrxMMy1STE1uck82UFk) a link to a photo of the piece I'm hoping to replace. Thanks for any help you can offer.

sales guy
06-26-2017, 08:53 PM
I have a couple of the 589 Velo Vise mounts. I have just the heads if you want one. I have locks to. But it'd be easy to buy a 2 pack of new ones since you would need the install key.

cgolvin
06-26-2017, 09:07 PM
Thanks; let me make sure I understand you. I take you to mean…
1. These 589 that you have pictured will replace my front mounts
2. You have two with locks (which would require different keys)?
Are you offering me one? Two with locks? How much?

Apologies if I've failed to grasp your meaning

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sales guy
06-26-2017, 09:29 PM
Thanks; let me make sure I understand you. I take you to mean…
1. These 589 that you have pictured will replace my front mounts
2. You have two with locks (which would require different keys)?
Are you offering me one? Two with locks? How much?

Apologies if I've failed to grasp your meaning

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the 589 Velo Vise head units. I had two trays get damaged and never replaced them. So I have just the heads. They fit a standard tray like what you have shown.

They are lockable on either side. The keys use an install key so you can put them in or take them out or of course switch sides.

I would have to check the keys for them. I usually buy 8 packs. So i'll have to see if I have a 2 pack or if I have extra keys and an install key.

I'd sell you the head units. Let me check on the keys in the morning. Everything is in the garage and I just have to check all the keys is all.

I have no clue what their worth honestly. What do you think is fair?

cgolvin
06-26-2017, 10:12 PM
Honestly, it's difficult for me to assess their worth, and I certainly don't want to come off as a lowball jerk. So apologies for what follows.

Virtually everything I found on eBay includes the rail, which I also don't know how to value. This listing (https://goo.gl/mVBnRA) shows a single unit, including the rail, the rear mount, and a lock but misses the rear gutter cover and rear wheel mount…and asks $30/obo plus $25 shipping. I found a complete one (no lock) that sold for $42.

From the Thule replacement parts site (https://www.thule.com/en-us/us/support/spare-parts?q=1053&sc={D885AF62-6803-4864-BBAD-186A7F8EEF57}), I think I would need parts A, N, and G (not sure if you include all 3 of these or just A) — which would come to $61. However, part A's status indicates either that it is out of stock or discontinued.

Finally, I'm a bit concerned now about the possibility of them being discontinued since I saw a number of bad reviews of this design. So I'm curious, since you seem to have had yours for a while, whether it has been reliable for you.

I appreciate your patience.

sales guy
06-26-2017, 10:27 PM
Honestly, it's difficult for me to assess their worth, and I certainly don't want to come off as a lowball jerk. So apologies for what follows.

Virtually everything I found on eBay includes the rail, which I also don't know how to value. This listing (https://goo.gl/mVBnRA) shows a single unit, including the rail, the rear mount, and a lock but misses the rear gutter cover and rear wheel mount…and asks $30/obo plus $25 shipping. I found a complete one (no lock) that sold for $42.

From the Thule replacement parts site (https://www.thule.com/en-us/us/support/spare-parts?q=1053&sc={D885AF62-6803-4864-BBAD-186A7F8EEF57}), I think I would need parts A, N, and G (not sure if you include all 3 of these or just A) — which would come to $61. However, part A's status indicates either that it is out of stock or discontinued.

Finally, I'm a bit concerned now about the possibility of them being discontinued since I saw a number of bad reviews of this design. So I'm curious, since you seem to have had yours for a while, whether it has been reliable for you.

I appreciate your patience.

I looked at the parts list. A is the head. You need N and O which mount the head to the tray. G and H are used to mount the head to the bar. I have all those parts and they'd be included. And the bolts I have are actually stainless steel. I always switch my parts out to stainless whenever possible. Especially since I used to leave my racks on year round.

For your question of if I liked it, yeah. I did/do. I still use the same head. It held a mountain bike on the roof from Ohio to SLC for NAHBS and back again just this March. I've never had an issue with it. I know it changed a bit from the original version I have. It uses a dial with some notches in it. You spin it either way to tighten or loosen. And if it's cold or you'r wearing gloves, it's not the easiest thing to do. I never had an issue. But I also maintained mine. I lubed it frequently. Most rack owners don't.

But I have no issues with mine and like it.

As for cost, will, it wouldn't cost as much since it's just the heads. The trays screw with shipping. The heads would fit in a Medium Flat Rate box. Maybe $15? for shipping.

So how about $25 each including a lock core, key and install key plus shipping?

I know I have a ton of keys and cores. I just need to go look for everything. I have a bunch of Thule rack parts. I've used Thule racks since 1994. So I have a bunch of stuff. I will check in the morning on the cores and keys to match them up.

cgolvin
06-27-2017, 09:26 AM
Thanks for clarifying — sounds eminently fair.
PM sent for exchanging details.