PDA

View Full Version : Help with drivetrain noise!

Jcgill
06-26-2017, 04:50 PM
Ok paceliners, got a tricky one for you:

Leaving for a week long trip to CO with my CAAD 10-3 in less than 2 weeks and hoping to have everything perfect before i leave.

2 weeks ago i had a local guy who is a wheels mfg dealer rebuild my drivetrain:
The bike had 6700 with an fsa standard crank.
I had the following installed new 2 weeks ago: (all brand new parts)
Wheels mfg bb
5800 compact crank
11-28 6700 cassette
6701 chain with kmc missing link 10r
New shift cables/housing

Rode it 30 miles that weekend and all seemed good.

This past weekend i went on a 35 mile ride with the bike and about halfway thru I noticed a wierd sound when standing out of the saddle and mashing somewhat....
It almost sounds like the clinking/ratchet noise of the chain if you bounce your bikes back Tire on the concrete from a foot or so up....but it only happens 1 time for every 10-25 revolutions when you are standing out of the saddle.
When it happens you cannot feel anything associated with it, you only hear the noise....trying to look down while getting it to happen I don't see anything jumping around by the rear mech.

Any ideas where to start first?!
Thanks in advance

oldpotatoe
06-26-2017, 05:09 PM
Ok paceliners, got a tricky one for you:

Leaving for a week long trip to CO with my CAAD 10-3 in less than 2 weeks and hoping to have everything perfect before i leave.

2 weeks ago i had a local guy who is a wheels mfg dealer rebuild my drivetrain:
The bike had 6700 with an fsa standard crank.
I had the following installed new 2 weeks ago: (all brand new parts)
Wheels mfg bb
5800 compact crank
11-28 6700 cassette
6701 chain with kmc missing link 10r
New shift cables/housing

Rode it 30 miles that weekend and all seemed good.

This past weekend i went on a 35 mile ride with the bike and about halfway thru I noticed a wierd sound when standing out of the saddle and mashing somewhat....
It almost sounds like the clinking/ratchet noise of the chain if you bounce your bikes back Tire on the concrete from a foot or so up....but it only happens 1 time for every 10-25 revolutions when you are standing out of the saddle.
When it happens you cannot feel anything associated with it, you only hear the noise....trying to look down while getting it to happen I don't see anything jumping around by the rear mech.

Any ideas where to start first?!
Thanks in advance

Headset
Rear wheel

azrider
06-26-2017, 06:00 PM
Headset
Rear wheel

Wise rec here.

My C10 developed similar issue. I went straight to bottom bracket and suspected it was culprit. Got Praxis adapter (along with new crank) and everything. Nope.

Mechanic much better than me discovered it was coming from rear wheel and after few teaks got it to go away.

Moral of story.......start with cheapest fixes first :D

Jcgill
06-26-2017, 09:14 PM
I think i found it!
The front derailleur was barley clearing the chain in the big ring, and as my drive side arm would be around 4-6oclock the big ring would flex ever so slightly to allow the chain to rub the outer plate of the font derailleur!

vertebraille
06-27-2017, 09:03 AM
If that's not it, I would also suggest putting a dab of grease where the rear axle clamps to the dropouts. I had a mysterious metallic ping for a long time similar to what you're describing and that seemed to silence it for me.