PDA

View Full Version : 2018 Specialized Diverge - All road

Erik_A
06-26-2017, 03:40 PM
The new Specialized Diverge for 2018 looks like a winner:

http://granfondo-cycling.com/review-specialized-s-works-diverge-2018-answers-9-important-questions/

https://www.bikerumor.com/2017/06/19/first-ride-the-all-new-specialized-diverge-with-future-shock/

I think that the best value is the $1800 Diverge Comp E5. It has the same carbon fork, future shock, Axis wheelset and 105 components as the $3000 Diverge Comp with the carbon frame.

A $1200 premium is a big bump just to get a carbon frame, because Specialized is pretty adept at building great aluminum frames. The carbon frame, can't be that special; but it is a bit larger than the E5 aluminum version, since the geometries are not identical

Attached is the diagram of the largest 64cm frame sizes from Stack and reach calculator (http://www.bikegeo.net/) (with the Sequoia as a comparison).

$1800 Diverge Comp E5
https://www.specialized.com/us/en/men/bikes/road/adventure/mensdivergecompe5/128909
$3000 Diverge Comp
https://www.specialized.com/us/en/men/bikes/road/adventure/mensdivergecomp/129079

belopsky
06-26-2017, 04:19 PM
Why is this in Classifieds?

Erik_A
06-26-2017, 05:56 PM
My mistake- Mods please move to the forum.

MrCannonCam
06-28-2017, 09:58 PM
See this thread is still in the classifieds but reguardless I'll chime in.

I have a long term Diverge Comp E5 test bike and it's been really impressive. I was skeptical of the future shock on it but after riding it a bit I can conclude that Specialized got it right. They include 3 different springs for the future shock. I prefer the stiffest one, with it set up with that one I don't get any "bounce" as if I'm riding a MTB on the road with the fork on. It's much different. Geometry is short and tight, bike can be flicked around corners well. I normally ride a 49-51 road bike and have a 52 diverge which I wouldn't change. The top tube length is very short on the 18's. Stack is a bit wanky, the future-shock throws that off, but with all the spacers removed I got it set up right where I want it. The rear end is exceptionally stiff which can be good and bad for this bike I suppose. I like it personally because the bike wants to go when you accelerate, it's surprisingly compliant. On the other hand if you're looking for all day comfort I think you'd be let down. Maybe something like a CG-R post would remedy that a bit? Specialized stepped it up a bit with tire clearance on the new model (up to a 42mm tire), the previous model could barely compete clearance-wise with the Roubaix.

The build and inclusion of the future shock on the E5 Comp is really top notch for the $1800 price tag. They offer a $2100 carbon model but it's spec'd with 10 speed Tiagra, not sure where that bike really fits. The Diverge Comp at $3000 is a very similar build to the E5 Comp but you get the carbon frame and hydraulic RS505 brifters (which to be honest are dreadfully ugly, bulky, and heavy).

I guess all and all to sum it up the E5 Comp is an awesome bike at the pricepoint, I'd recommend it for sure. It's not going to be any purists cup of tea but I believe Specialized got it right for the majority.

stephenmarklay
06-29-2017, 07:10 AM
The Aluminum vs Carbon seem to have very different geometry. For instance the 58cm carbon has a 57.5 horizontal top tube but the aluminum has a super short 53.9.

PaMtbRider
06-29-2017, 07:17 AM
The Aluminum vs Carbon seem to have very different geometry. For instance the 58cm carbon has a 57.5 horizontal top tube but the aluminum has a super short 53.9.

I would guess the 53.9 is a misprint.

Ti_on_Steel
06-30-2017, 08:37 PM
I would guess the 53.9 is a misprint.

Stack and Reach are different between carbon and Al. Al bikes look lower and longer.

dogrange
06-30-2017, 11:20 PM
See this thread is still in the classifieds but reguardless I'll chime in.

I have a long term Diverge Comp E5 test bike and it's been really impressive. I was skeptical of the future shock on it but after riding it a bit I can conclude that Specialized got it right. They include 3 different springs for the future shock. I prefer the stiffest one, with it set up with that one I don't get any "bounce" as if I'm riding a MTB on the road with the fork on. It's much different. Geometry is short and tight, bike can be flicked around corners well. I normally ride a 49-51 road bike and have a 52 diverge which I wouldn't change. The top tube length is very short on the 18's. Stack is a bit wanky, the future-shock throws that off, but with all the spacers removed I got it set up right where I want it. The rear end is exceptionally stiff which can be good and bad for this bike I suppose. I like it personally because the bike wants to go when you accelerate, it's surprisingly compliant. On the other hand if you're looking for all day comfort I think you'd be let down. Maybe something like a CG-R post would remedy that a bit? Specialized stepped it up a bit with tire clearance on the new model (up to a 42mm tire), the previous model could barely compete clearance-wise with the Roubaix.

The build and inclusion of the future shock on the E5 Comp is really top notch for the $1800 price tag. They offer a $2100 carbon model but it's spec'd with 10 speed Tiagra, not sure where that bike really fits. The Diverge Comp at $3000 is a very similar build to the E5 Comp but you get the carbon frame and hydraulic RS505 brifters (which to be honest are dreadfully ugly, bulky, and heavy).

I guess all and all to sum it up the E5 Comp is an awesome bike at the pricepoint, I'd recommend it for sure. It's not going to be any purists cup of tea but I believe Specialized got it right for the majority.

Could you fit a 650x48 in the diverge e5?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ti Designs
07-01-2017, 07:41 AM
I was skeptical of the future shock on it but after riding it a bit I can conclude that Specialized got it right.

So let me see if I have this right. A long time ago we had threaded steerer tubes and headsets with locking mechanisms. The stems were called quill stems because a 22.2mm (7/8") tube would be inserted into the steerer tube and expanded from the inside to hold it in place. Then the Aheadset was introduced. It's a system where the steerer tube extends past the headset and spacers, the stem clamps on the outside diameter of the steerer and the preload on the headset bearings is done from the top cap. It's a lighter system, they've done away with the big wrenches needed to adjust old school headsets, but mostly it eliminates the thinest tube on the bike, and the need to clamp from the inside diameter. It's a much better system.

Now Specialized has their FutureShock. It looks just like a normal treadless system... I had to do a fitting on a bike with one the other day, so I pulled up the exploded diagram. The FutureShock looks a lot like the past... First the fork and steerer - they are frame specific and cut to length. The headset is also specific, unlike headsets of old that used two 32mm nuts locked together to hold adjustment, this one has a race and a locking collar above it with two screws that push the race down to adjust the bearings. You can see those two screws from the top. Then the FutureShock gets inserted into the steerer, kinda like a quill stem. You may be thinking that treadless systems also use expanders, but they just hold the preload adjustment on the headset, this is a structural component of the bike... They've reintroduced the quill stem design, but this time it's got a telescoping spring.

But as long as they got it right...

eddief
07-01-2017, 08:07 AM
this vid shows it all. looks pretty straight forward:

http://servicevideos.specialized.com/video/180190215

MrCannonCam
07-10-2017, 08:39 PM
So let me see if I have this right. A long time ago we had threaded steerer tubes and headsets with locking mechanisms. The stems were called quill stems because a 22.2mm (7/8") tube would be inserted into the steerer tube and expanded from the inside to hold it in place. Then the Aheadset was introduced. It's a system where the steerer tube extends past the headset and spacers, the stem clamps on the outside diameter of the steerer and the preload on the headset bearings is done from the top cap. It's a lighter system, they've done away with the big wrenches needed to adjust old school headsets, but mostly it eliminates the thinest tube on the bike, and the need to clamp from the inside diameter. It's a much better system.

Now Specialized has their FutureShock. It looks just like a normal treadless system... I had to do a fitting on a bike with one the other day, so I pulled up the exploded diagram. The FutureShock looks a lot like the past... First the fork and steerer - they are frame specific and cut to length. The headset is also specific, unlike headsets of old that used two 32mm nuts locked together to hold adjustment, this one has a race and a locking collar above it with two screws that push the race down to adjust the bearings. You can see those two screws from the top. Then the FutureShock gets inserted into the steerer, kinda like a quill stem. You may be thinking that treadless systems also use expanders, but they just hold the preload adjustment on the headset, this is a structural component of the bike... They've reintroduced the quill stem design, but this time it's got a telescoping spring.

But as long as they got it right...

I was more referencing it's functionality more than anything. I don't care much for the technical details to be honest. I get on the bike and ride it. Getting on dirt roads (which I have many of where I live) it soaks up a lot of chatter and gone is the horrible "bob" I always got with my Cannondale Silk Road with the headshok.

Pastashop
07-10-2017, 08:51 PM
http://www.labicycletta.ca/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/flexstem-ad.png

https://i1.wp.com/www.elessarbicycle.it/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/7222-Redshift-ShockStop-Stem-04.jpg

https://i2.wp.com/www.elessarbicycle.it/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/7224-Redshift-ShockStop-Stem-06.jpg

More here:

http://www.elessarbicycle.it/shockstop-stem-by-redshift-sport-review/