PDA

View Full Version : is this chain too short to use?

bitt3n
06-26-2017, 01:07 PM
I cannibalized this off another bike with shorter chainstays.. I'm guessing it's too short to use. Is that correct?

http://i.imgur.com/nq3amwH.jpg?1

Cicli
06-26-2017, 01:10 PM
Probably,
Can you run big-big without ripping the derailuer off?

AngryScientist
06-26-2017, 01:11 PM
what does it look like in the big-big configuration, provided you can get there without over extending the RD? that's the limiting factor.

bitt3n
06-26-2017, 01:17 PM
I tried moving the rear to the biggest cog and I couldn't get it all the way back on the front big ring without risking damage to the derailleur, so it looks like it's clearly too short.

AngryScientist
06-26-2017, 01:30 PM
yup. you should have no ratio that will cause your RD to self destruct. too short.

stien
06-26-2017, 01:47 PM
RD wire looks too short too!

That bike is awesome, whatever it is.

Ralph
06-26-2017, 02:13 PM
If chain is like new.....I would use it. Just add another quick link someplace. Use a old piece of new chain. Cheaper than throwing a good chain away.

genbar
06-26-2017, 02:15 PM
I haven't looked at too many bikes with that kinda internal rd routing but I would agree w/stien.

EDIT: just noticed it's DI2. I know nothing 'bout that so disregard what I just said!

Post more pics of the bike tho!

chiasticon
06-26-2017, 02:22 PM

That bike is awesome, whatever it is.is there a minimum length for electronic wiring? do you just want a little extra slack in case it catches on something? I'd think as long as there's enough slack that the RD can move through all gears correctly, you're good. or no? I've only plumbed a di2 bike once so forgive my ignorance.

either way, agreed on the second point. would love to see pics of the whole bike, because it looks great in that one!

bitt3n
06-26-2017, 02:42 PM

That bike is awesome, whatever it is.

Interesting. I tried to get it so that there was still a a marginal amount of slack in the wire when the derailleur is pushed forward as far as I would expect it to go (which with the right size of chain should be about where it is in that picture). How much longer should I have made it?

Unfortunately all the extra wire is stuffed up into the seat tube so it would be a minor nuisance to fix (have to remove the cranks and BB).

If chain is like new.....I would use it. Just add another quick link someplace. Use a old piece of new chain. Cheaper than throwing a good chain away.

I thought of this but I would need probably about 8-10 more links I think to cross chain it from big cog to big ring. I could buy this same model of chain and use a portion of the new chain to add to the old one. For some reason this particular model of chain is twice as much as a standard Ultegra 11-speed chain.

I haven't looked at too many bikes with that kinda internal rd routing but I would agree w/stien.

Post more pics of the bike tho!

By all means let me know if it looks like I screwed anything else up. I've never built a bike before so there might be other problems.

One thing I know I'm having trouble with is that the front rotor is rubbing on the caliper. I removed the brake pads, backed out the pistons by pushing against them with a plastic tire lever, inserted a pad spacer (that little red plastic thing) and "set the gap" as I understand you're supposed to do by pulling the lever, and then inserted the rotor in the caliper again, but it still rubs..

http://i.imgur.com/CMxxGvu.jpg?1

stien
06-26-2017, 02:42 PM
is there a minimum length for electronic wiring? do you just want a little extra slack in case it catches on something?

Certainly long enough because it works but that much stress on the connector is inviting failures down the road. Just a little slack would be :banana:

Edit because of pic added: Looks like there is slack in the small ring, but not the big one.

Sweet bike!

tim.bikeparty
06-26-2017, 04:07 PM
your chain's not too short, your cassette is too big :D

http://d7ab823tjbf2qywyt3grgq63.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/readers/sthilzy/2015.08.12.23.00.07/2/sthilzy-2015.08.12.23.00.07-2-P1010682.JPG

oldpotatoe
06-26-2017, 05:13 PM
is there a minimum length for electronic wiring? do you just want a little extra slack in case it catches on something? I'd think as long as there's enough slack that the RD can move through all gears correctly, you're good. or no? I've only plumbed a di2 bike once so forgive my ignorance.

either way, agreed on the second point. would love to see pics of the whole bike, because it looks great in that one!

The wire goes thru a rubber grommet into the frame. It's not 'stopped' at the frame like a rear der cable housing. If the der rotates, it'll just pull out a little. There is no 'stress' on the connector. There is lots of 'extra' wire in the chainstay.

chiasticon
06-26-2017, 10:38 PM
The wire goes thru a rubber grommet into the frame. It's not 'stopped' at the frame like a rear der cable housing.of course.

If the der rotates, it'll just pull out a little. There is no 'stress' on the connector. There is lots of 'extra' wire in the chainstay.well, unless the wire is taught in the chainstay and the rest is shoved up into the seat tube, right? which it sounds like is the case here. even still, unless it's pinched somehow, I'd think there'd be some give. the grommet will add friction, but if you pull that out and tug on the wire a bit, it should give much easier.

bitt3n
06-27-2017, 06:16 AM
of course.

well, unless the wire is taught in the chainstay and the rest is shoved up into the seat tube, right?

argh now you guys have got me thinking I should remove the bottom bracket and redistribute the wiring. I set it up so there's still some slack with the rear derailleur pushed all the way forward but if it were to catch on anything there's no wire left in the chainstay to pull through the grommet...

shovelhd
06-27-2017, 06:49 AM
I'd give it about an inch more.

stien
06-27-2017, 06:51 AM
argh now you guys have got me thinking I should remove the bottom bracket and redistribute the wiring. I set it up so there's still some slack with the rear derailleur pushed all the way forward but if it were to catch on anything there's no wire left in the chainstay to pull through the grommet...

That's the most you can do. I had a 10s Di2 RD take a ride in the spokes and it stayed plugged in FWIW. When I saw 10s RD prices were the same as the new 11s ones I upgraded to 11!