PDA

View Full Version : Rudy Project lenses

Bud
08-28-2006, 08:09 PM
OK so I just got contact lenses for the first time in my life. After the last 34 years of wearing rx glasses (since I was 2), the contacts open up a whole new world. I'm still getting used to them, but the main reason I got them as for cycling and skiing.

Now that I don't have to rely on only one pair of prescription sunglasses (currently some Performance shades), I can get regular shades, cycling shades, etc. This is cool. . . :cool:

I am thinking about going with the Rudy Projct Rydon for cycling. What I'm wondering is which lens(es) to get. I like both a dark lens and a yellow for low light. I've never used a red lens. RP has too many options! Laser, Multilaser, Polar 3FX, Photochromic, etc not to mention all of the colors. For those of you who have some Rudy shades and lenses, I'd like your opinion on the various choices.

Birddog
08-28-2006, 08:36 PM
Although I've not used the red from Rudy, I prefer the rose colored lens of other mfg'ers for low light conditions either skiing or on the bike. The rose are far superior to the yellow IMO. They seem to work better in a wider variety of light conditions. Ive gone skiing (in NM) when it was real flat in the morning giving way to a sunny afternoon and never switched the lens from rose.

Birddog

Saxon
08-28-2006, 08:41 PM
Rudy's Racing Red work great as all around lenses for me. Good in regular and low light.

spiderlake
08-28-2006, 09:19 PM
+1 on the racing red lens from Rudy. I have other lenses but never seem to remove the red lenses.

fstrthnu
08-28-2006, 09:31 PM
My buddy Mike Norton who is a sponsored rider for RP says to go with the Rydon with laser blue lenses and the yellow or clear for overcast days.

Fstrthnu

Ozz
08-28-2006, 09:56 PM
I have the laser blue for bright, sunny days...and the racing red for everything else. I've used racing red on sunny days (before I got the laser blue). They are a nice all-around lens.

I plan on picking up some clear lenses for night/early morning rides this winter.

vaxn8r
08-28-2006, 10:16 PM
I have a bunch of lenses. In the dark dreary Oregon winters yellow really comes in handy. Racing red is OK but if you're sesnitive to light and it's really sunny you may not be happy. Thus I also own a set of smoke lenses. I'm covered.

RP's are high quality and stand behind their product.

Lincoln
08-29-2006, 12:46 AM
I got the Maskeryna in "tobacco" (yellow to me) this spring. I debated whether to get that or the grey. I'm not very sensitive to light but it is very sunny most of the time here in Utah. In the end I went with the lighter ones and have been happy. Enough shading (for me) in the bright direct light and plenty bright to leave on at dusk or in the trees when mt biking. I don't think they could handle the sun off the snow in the winter but I have others for that. All in all, a great all-rounder.

SayHey
08-29-2006, 02:29 AM
I have tried many pairs of sunglasses and for cycling I have enjoyed my Rudy Project Freeon's the most. I have the Laser Blue, Racing Red, and Clear Lenses. All of them are great, but I use the Racing Red the most. I use the Clear under low light or at night. The clarity seems to be great with all of their lenses.

Bud
08-29-2006, 08:11 AM
Thanks for all of the advice, folks. I think I'll go with one of the Laser colors (either blue or black) for my dark lens and choose between yellow and racing red for the other set. Now I need to find the best price, which is a bit hard to do given the frame/lens combinations that they sell.

Bill Bove
08-29-2006, 09:12 AM
I love my Rydons. I use the laser black lens on most days but also have racing red, yellow, and smoke to use as the need arises. I also have a pair of Kerosenes with an assortment of lens', I like the Rydons much better.

znfdl
08-29-2006, 09:17 AM
Bud:

You might want to check out the new photocromatic lenses that are made out of polycarbonate. I have a couple of Tifosi phototec lenses and really like. The lenses change shades depending upon the amount of sunlight.

davids
08-29-2006, 11:52 AM
Bud,

One more data point - I did the same thing as you, about 10 months ago. I've worn glasses since I was 12, and after 33 contented years, decided I wanted contacts for cycling.

They've worked out quite well for cycling (I can't stand them for close-range, indoor stuff - It's my age...), and I started with a cheap pair of Optic Nerve glasses with interchangable lenses, for about $30. I found I always used the intermediate, brownish lenses. But they were really too dark for cloudy or early-morning conditions. Then the frame broke. Cheap cr@p...

So, I'm getting these: Kaenon Kore (http://www.kaenon.com/product.cfm?action=show_product&product_id=578&style1=1&style2=2&style3=6&preview=yes&CFID=2054681&CFTOKEN=96880109) with the lightest Copper lenses. It's my understanding that these should be good in all light conditions, and provide better contrast and depth perception than a more neutral lens.

No one here had anything to say about these Kaenon glasses, but they seem very well made, with excellent optics (Kaenon hasn't done much in the cycling market - They seem to be focused on golf, watersports, and baseball.) I got them for an excellent price, $70 at Campmor. They should be arriving at my desk later today...

Bud
08-29-2006, 12:05 PM
Thanks for the idea, David. Let me know how the Kaenons work out when you get them. I'm still leaning towards the Rydons (they have so many lens options) but I'm open to other suggestions.

ClutchCargo
09-01-2006, 10:40 AM
Bud --

I have the Laser Blues, Racing Red and Yellow, and together they cover any possible situation. the Reds are great -- really versatile and do well in low light and quite bright situations -- here in the Northeast where there's lots of tree shade on the roads they are better than the Lasers when you're going in and out of the shadows. they are the ones that I use for most of my rides (which usually begin in the fairly early morning). I find them to be much better than the Oakley persimmon lenses btw. hope this helps.

ClutchCargo
09-01-2006, 10:47 AM
Bud --

I have the Laser Blues, Racing Red and Yellow, and together they cover any possible situation. the Reds are great -- really versatile and do well in low light and quite bright situations -- here in the Northeast where there's lots of tree shade on the roads they are better than the Lasers when you're going in and out of the shadows. they are the ones that I use for most of my rides (which usually begin in the fairly early morning). I find them to be much better than the Oakley persimmon lenses btw. hope this helps.

davids
09-01-2006, 01:23 PM
Thanks for the idea, David. Let me know how the Kaenons work out when you get them. I'm still leaning towards the Rydons (they have so many lens options) but I'm open to other suggestions.
Two rides so far, both in the same, variable light conditions: Pre-dawn light (streetlights still on) to cloudless, direct sunlight.

I'm very happy with the light copper lenses as a variable-condition lens. In low light, everything is visible and defined. In bright light, the shading and polarization keeps glare in check. It's only in direct sun (a hazard of riding east in the morning...) that the light copper was lacking. And since I'm not changing glasses every time I round a corner, I'm fine with the compromise.

The optics are also very good - much better than my old glasses. There's really no sense of distortion or haziness.

I'm less sure about the shape of the frames - I've got a big head, and they're fairly comfortable on my temples, but they are close to my brows, and the brow-piece is thick enough to intrude on my vision a tiny bit. I'm pretty sure I'll get used to this, but it could be better.

The ideal glasses for me might have wrap-around light copper lenses in a thin metal frame. And they'd cost less than $50! (This was one great attraction of the Kores - They're $180 glasses for $70.)