PDA

View Full Version : A seven day week truly is a hassle

Louis
06-23-2017, 08:44 PM
This is surely a 1st-world sort of issue, but having a week with an odd number of days is a pita when it comes to trying to create a regular exercise schedule with repeating constant interval rest periods.

Plus, I’d like to create a schedule where I alternate rowing and cycling to do a better job of giving various parts of my body a break, but again, I’m foiled by the incompatibility of the work week and a repeating equal interval exercise program.

To top it all off, the quick research I just did on the web (and logic) suggests that there is absolutely no rational or scientific / natural basis for a 7 seven-day week. Why not 8, or 10? IMO that would be much better.

I need to start a movement to change this – I can’t be the only one who feels this way. Or maybe I should just retire – then I can do whatever the heck I want on whatever day I like.

R3awak3n
06-23-2017, 08:49 PM
7 day week is fine, what we need is a 3 day weekend.

velotrack
06-23-2017, 08:50 PM
If a 6 day week means 4 weekdays, I'm all about it.
If 8 means 6 weekdays, nope.
If 8 meant 5 weekdays and an extra weekend day? Sure.

Happy Friday.

Louis
06-23-2017, 08:52 PM

I can agree to that - I promise to call off my campaign for a calendar with an even number of days per week if you can convince my employer to allow me to work 32 hours / week (at my current salary, of course) ;)

Louis
06-23-2017, 08:56 PM
Let's assume for the sake of simplicity that any new system would still average about 40 hrs of work / 7 days = 5.7143 hrs of work / day on average, over time. (not counting holidays, which are a separate issue)

commonguy001
06-23-2017, 09:08 PM
Today was the first Friday I've been in the office in years... not something I want to repeat anytime soon.
If we had shorter weeks I'd want 3 day weeks.

Happy Friday everyone, work is overrated
Get some miles in tomorrow :beer:

ptourkin
06-24-2017, 08:51 AM
This classic is relevant again:

http://gawker.com/bodybuilders-try-fail-to-calculate-number-of-days-in-1677545788

"If I go every other day I will be at the gym 4-5 times a week, is that over training?" asks one forum member.

"That makes no sense. There are only 7 days in a week. If you go every other day that is 3.5 times a week," answers another, who understands that weeks start on Sunday and end on Saturday. Or start on Monday and end on Sunday. Either way, each one is 7 days.

And here's where the dumb bro-train really comes off its dumb rails. Enter TheJosh, who, no matter how many different ways it's explained to him, cannot grasp that each week has an odd number of days. Specifically, 7.

weisan
06-24-2017, 09:28 AM
Or maybe I should just retire – then I can do whatever the heck I want on whatever day I like.

Yes, Louis pal, it's time.

Mr. Pink
06-24-2017, 10:25 AM
Yes, well,as a retiree, I'd have to say that's correct, although, ironically, I now refuse to bike on Saturdays, or do a lot of things (certainly ski). The type A's who rule their cube farms all week while I'm out on the roads after their morning rush hour are now suddenly behind the wheel, more than ready to run me over to get to the dry cleaners or buy more charcoal and wine or hit Home Depot. It's the only time of the week I get raged. A couple Saturday's ago I got a "get outamyway!" Horn blast from two seperate Land Rovers, and I was alone and to the side. Everyone should retire, and then we'd all get along better.

Red Tornado
06-24-2017, 11:47 AM

Amen to that!

nash
06-24-2017, 01:03 PM
Mwf rest on weekends l

SoCalSteve
06-24-2017, 01:35 PM
Yes, well,as a retiree, I'd have to say that's correct, although, ironically, I now refuse to bike on Saturdays, or do a lot of things (certainly ski). The type A's who rule their cube farms all week while I'm out on the roads after their morning rush hour are now suddenly behind the wheel, more than ready to run me over to get to the dry cleaners or buy more charcoal and wine or hit Home Depot. It's the only time of the week I get raged. A couple Saturday's ago I got a "get outamyway!" Horn blast from two seperate Land Rovers, and I was alone and to the side. Everyone should retire, and then we'd all get along better.

Truer words have never been spoken!!! I'm so nice now, it's scary...:beer:

Peter P.
06-24-2017, 02:11 PM
Double post.

Peter P.
06-24-2017, 02:12 PM
Don't like the 7 day week-file your grievance with God; he's the one who designed it. Good luck making any headway.

choke
06-24-2017, 04:59 PM
7 day week is fine, what we need is a 3 day weekend.I'd like to go back in time to find that guy who decided that we would work 5 days and be off 2 instead of work 2 days and be off 5 and kick his......

Louis
06-24-2017, 05:11 PM
Until the day he semi-retired / went part time (which he did just a few years ago, when he was in his late 70's) my father (a businessman in Haiti) worked full days M-F and half a day Saturday. Sunday was his only true day off.