PDA

View Full Version : Picked up my Fierete today

Daggett
08-28-2006, 07:42 PM
I took it out for a ride. It is way more responsive than my old Trek. I think I'm really going to like this bike.

I am having a couple of problems. I'm having pain between my shoulders and also my neck. I feel like I have too much weight on my hands and the steering feels squirrely. Do I need a shorter stem? Any opinions? Thanks.

Needs Help
08-28-2006, 07:55 PM
Any opinions?
If you didn't, you should have seen a fitter before you bought a bike. If you did, find a better one.

Serotta PETE
08-29-2006, 08:58 AM
I took it out for a ride. It is way more responsive than my old Trek. I think I'm really going to like this bike.

I am having a couple of problems. I'm having pain between my shoulders and also my neck. I feel like I have too much weight on my hands and the steering feels squirrely. Do I need a shorter stem? Any opinions? Thanks.

It could be something as simple getting use to the new position. Measure the seat to bar drop verses you old bike to see difference. Additionally measure from center of seat to center of stem and compare to old bike.

Without seeing you on bike it is hard to tell you, The traits you describe are associated with the position being longer stretch. As to squirrely, this i not usually associated with a SEROTTA.

WHere do you live. Take the measurements and feel free to call me or send e-mail. PETE (I am no expert just been riding more years than I can count.)

djg
08-29-2006, 11:44 AM
I'm not a professional fitter live and in person and I'm sure that I don't want to play one over the internet. All sorts of things may be at issue and some possibilities are easy to address. First, if your saddle angle is very slightly off, and pointing too far down, you might (a) have too much weight on the bars, (b) shoulder and/or arm pain, and (c) handling issues. With some saddles, checking the level is a bit of an art and a first stab can be off a bit. If this is the problem, it's easy to fix. Second, too much drop (for you, or for you today) or too short a cockpit can be a problem (too much drop, and you also have extra weight on the hands and bars, possible shoulder or neck issues, and possible handling issues; too short a cockpit and some folks spend a lot of time subconsciously pushing themselves back away from the bars)--either problem might be easily addressed, depending on its severity. Also, too much weight forward with too short a stem can provide both discomfort and squirrely handling.

I don't know one way or another, but it's at least possible that the bike was fit to you just fine, and that with minor tweaks of the setup you'll be both more comfortable and more stable. I'd go back to the shop, tell them your concerns, and see what they suggest.

Daggett
08-29-2006, 03:36 PM
My old bike was a hybrid and a little too big for me, so the position is completely different on my new one. I liked the fit of a Trek Pilot my shop had on the floor but the LBS and I both thought the Fierte is a better buy. I did not have a complete fit but the fitter tried to match the Pilot and did some measurements on me and the bike. We decided that the 52S would be a good match. I called the shop and they are ordering in a different stem and handlebar to try. I have faith that they will get it right.

The measurements on my old bike from center seat post to center of stem is 21 1/4" and new bike is 19". The saddle on the new bike is higher than the handlebars, the old bike is not.

I feel like not enough weight is on my butt. I'm not staying on the hoods I tend to put my hands back on the handlebars.

The bike is 10 pounds lighter and much faster and smoother.

It's not perfect but I do think it is the right size.

cydewaze
08-29-2006, 08:41 PM
Glad you got your bike! After my wife's first ride on hers, she felt like her quads were on fire. After the LBS checked her out with the Serotta fitting tools, it turned out that she needed a set-back seatpost. Now she's perfectly comfy.

Enjoy your bike! :beer:

Ray
08-30-2006, 07:41 AM

All the qualifiers apply here as well - I don't know what I'm talking about, but I keep talking anyway. When there's too much weight on the hands (which can cause the pain in shoulders and neck), the culprit often has less to do with the handlebar placement than the saddle location and tilt. The saddle should be far enough back and tilted up enough in the nose that you can lift your hands off of the bars without falling forward and without straining too much with your core to hold that position. The saddle and the pedals should support your weight and your arms and the bars are just for balance and steering, not weight support. The harder you pedal, the more aggressive position you can get away with because your pedaling action pushes you up and back.

The stem and bars can make a difference too but I wouldn't necessarily start there.

-Ray

Daggett
08-30-2006, 09:49 AM
I am getting a little more comfortable on the bike. I can't decide what to change first. The LBS is getting in the new handlebars and stem, but I don't know if that is the answer. I guess I will go in to the store and spend some time with them and see what we come up with. Thanks for all of the suggestions. I will talk with the fitter about the options brought up here.