PDA

View Full Version : OT: Recommendations for Quebec City

Spinner
06-22-2017, 07:57 PM
My wife and I are planning a trip to Quebec City in September. Therefore, I am interested in recommendations for lodging, restaurants, bars and must see sites.

This forum has offered a wealth of recommendations for past trips and I suspect that this new thread will not be different.

Thanks in advance for your thoughtful replies.

Cheers.

paredown
06-23-2017, 05:51 AM
I'm sorry this is languishing, but it has been too long for me to come up with any real recommendations except to eat, walk and have fun.

I remember being struck by a good bookstore that was probably the Libraire Pantoute, in part because they stocked a bunch of the classic French imprints that you can't find in the US...

daker13
06-23-2017, 06:58 AM
We stayed at the Auberge Saint-Antoine when we were there a couple of years ago and it was an excellent little hotel. The farmer's market is worth going to. It's a nice city, we mostly enjoyed going for long walks for a few days and you can cover the city pretty fast... We could have spent more time in 'Le Roc,' I think.

thwart
06-23-2017, 07:07 AM
My wife and I are planning a trip to Quebec City in September. Therefore, I am interested in recommendations for lodging, restaurants, bars and must see sites.

This forum has offered a wealth of recommendations for past trips and I suspect that this new thread will not be different.

Thanks in advance for your thoughtful replies.

Cheers.
We were there in May '15 and had a wonderful week-long AirBnB stay in the Saint-Roch neighborhood. Too many wonderful places to see, really. We were able to bring our bikes along and rode around town almost every day (Côte Gilmour is a nice climb), although the city is great for walking tours as well.

RonW87
06-23-2017, 09:02 AM
Cycle around Ile d'Orleans. Lunch at Auberge La Goéliche on the island.

Dinner at Laurie Raphael.

If you have time to go further, art galleries in La Malbaie/Baie St. Paul/Charlevoix region. Whale watching out of Tadoussac.

Try to speak even a little French. It will go a long way.

Finally, September in Quebec City can be like October in Ohio. Hope for summer weather but be ready for fall.

justaute
06-23-2017, 09:28 AM
Love Quebec City. Have been there a few times and stayed at Loews le Concorde.

paredown
06-23-2017, 09:55 AM

Finally, September in Quebec City can be like October in Ohio. Hope for summer weather but be ready for fall.

This I remember--the Canadian cold front moved in while I was visiting over Labor Day--and it got downright chilly.

julseas
06-23-2017, 09:56 AM
you can go to some battle re-enactments and eat maple syrup products. what else do you need?

ultraman6970
06-23-2017, 12:56 PM
Dont know in quebec but in montreal the chinese food was awesome... I was you I would try to go to new brunswick and nova scotia cycling... is super nice.

Spinner
06-24-2017, 01:02 PM
Thanks for the input thus far.

rousseau
07-04-2017, 01:08 PM
A ride along Avenue Royale to Sainte-Anne-de-Beaupré is a must-do for me on our vacation trips to Quebec. It's about 75 km there and back from the old city. It's a tiny bit tricky finding your way along La Route Verte (Quebec's bleedin' awesome provincial network of bike paths) to get to the road going out of town, but it's fully worth it.

https://www.google.ca/maps/@47.0236926,-70.9303479,3a,37.5y,64.75h,94.41t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sfFlxryMVkf88ewe_8F-yNw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Avenue Royale, aka "la Route de la Nouvelle-France," is one of the oldest roads in North America. It's quaint and hilly, and littered with four-hundred-year-old Norman-style houses that speak of a different world.

Dont know in quebec but in montreal the chinese food was awesome... I was you I would try to go to new brunswick and nova scotia cycling... is super nice.

Whoa, got any recommendations? This is totally the opposite of the impression my wife and I have of Montreal (she's Taiwanese, I lived there for several years), but then again we're used to getting great Chinese in Toronto. It's not really fair comparing one of the most Chinese cities outside of Asia to Montreal, which doesn't seem to do Asian food all that well as far as we can tell, but we might just be missing the good spots.

ghcs
07-04-2017, 01:27 PM
If you're cycling, check out http://www.routeverte.com/e/
Not sure how it is around Quebec City, but it was great in the Eastern Townships.

Otherwise, great city to just walk around & explore.

bikinchris
07-04-2017, 02:19 PM
I just came back from their while you asked. Aux Anciens Canadiens was a great comfort food meal. My Cajun grandmother used to make a lot of those dishes when I was growing up. Chic Shack is funny as hell theft of Shake Shack's name, but their burgers are good and the maple salted caramel shake is awesome.
We took a bus tour to the country that went to Ile de Orleans (apparently a cycling destination) and the double decker tour from the same company. The funicular down from the awesome Chateau de Frontenac (we stayed at the Marriott) was a nice walking afternoon.
This town has many parts that really feel like you are in France.

summilux
07-04-2017, 04:06 PM
The walled old city is great for strolling and good restaurants abound. Personally, I prefer the lower town and you can take the fununculaire down to the river. The Plains of Abraham is the site of the historic victory of English troops over French ones in the 17th Century. It is currently a beautiful park and a great place to have a picnic if the weather is good. You can watch the changing of the guard in the fort. This is the home base of the Van Doos, the Royal 22nd Regiment. Montmerancy Falls just to the east of the city is spectacular.

If you want to go on a great road trip from Quebec City, Rte 138 east of Ste-Anne de Beaupry is spectacularly hilly and the 2 hour drive from Quebec city to Baie St-Paul takes to through the greatness of rural Quebec.

ultraman6970
07-04-2017, 04:20 PM
Rousseau (sp) I dont know man but crossing from the univ building, close to st catherine like old town area, remember 2 chinese restaurants that were the bomb... For example the bst clam chowder i ever tried was in maine, my wife says that boston is better but never been in boston so I really do not know.

Regarding chinese food well all depends because at least here some Chinese places have a sunday of real chinise stuff and the menu is not even close to what they do the rest of the week... and those sundays you dont see a single "gweilo' inside at all...so I do get what your wife says :D

So I will fix this... the best chinese westerner style food Ive ever tried has been in montreal...:D

Neves
07-04-2017, 05:17 PM
I wish I could find the translated version of this site. It's a cirque du soleil type show. Our family went to go see this free show last year. It was a blast and we thought about seeing it again while we were there. Being a free the line to get in will be long, but most seats are going to be good.

https://ville.quebec.qc.ca/idees_sortie/grands_evenements/cirque/crepuscule.aspx

https://youtu.be/1yoe_VWTZXU

Spinner
07-05-2017, 07:44 PM
... for everyone's input. We are looking forward to another memorable trip to Canada.

Cheers.