PDA

View Full Version : Campy Shamal Bearing Tightness

johnmdesigner
06-22-2017, 07:18 PM
I have the Shamal's that have the outside ring that allows for bearing adjustment. But how tight should it be? I can wiggle the rear wheel just a bit left to right. Should it be tight enough so that there is no play in the hub? I don't want to over tighten it. Should I do this with the wheel in the dropout with the skewer closed?
As always, any suggestions would be appreciated.

Clean39T
06-22-2017, 08:26 PM
Same wheels, same question [emoji41][emoji106]

moobikes
06-22-2017, 08:34 PM
That's part of the objective of the Campagnolo hub design, so you can make final adjustments to bearing preload while the wheel is on the bike, with the QR clamped at normal operating pressure.

Position the little bolt on the adjustment sleeve so that you can fiddle with it and clamp the wheel in the frame with the QR. Then loosen the bolt, and turn the sleeve clockwise until you juuust take out the play at the rim. Make a mark on the outer edge of the sleeve and a corresponding mark on the hub so you know how much you are moving the sleeve. Rotate the sleeve in small amounts.
You definitely do not want preload too tight or too loose. That will wear out the bearings in a hurry.

johnmdesigner
06-23-2017, 07:32 AM
That's part of the objective of the Campagnolo hub design, so you can make final adjustments to bearing preload while the wheel is on the bike, with the QR clamped at normal operating pressure.

Position the little bolt on the adjustment sleeve so that you can fiddle with it and clamp the wheel in the frame with the QR. Then loosen the bolt, and turn the sleeve clockwise until you juuust take out the play at the rim. Make a mark on the outer edge of the sleeve and a corresponding mark on the hub so you know how much you are moving the sleeve. Rotate the sleeve in small amounts.
You definitely do not want preload too tight or too loose. That will wear out the bearings in a hurry.

Thank you sir!

oldpotatoe
06-23-2017, 07:48 AM
I have the Shamal's that have the outside ring that allows for bearing adjustment. But how tight should it be? I can wiggle the rear wheel just a bit left to right. Should it be tight enough so that there is no play in the hub? I don't want to over tighten it. Should I do this with the wheel in the dropout with the skewer closed?
As always, any suggestions would be appreciated.

Wheel In bike, QR closed like you are gong to ride it.

with wee bit of play, rotate the plate about a 1/8 turn..play still there? little more...no play, tighten set screw

huck*this
06-23-2017, 11:37 AM
I usually tighten till its just a bit too much and back off a smidge. Seems to work for me. No play and spin for ever.

Mark McM
06-23-2017, 12:06 PM
Here are the Campagnolo instructions for wheel bearing adjustment:

https://www.campagnolo.com/media/files/035_68_Technical%20manual_wheels_adjustment_hub%20 Campagnolo_12-12.pdf

johnmdesigner
06-23-2017, 12:10 PM
While I have you all here any suggestions for lubricant for ceramic bearings?

johnmdesigner
06-23-2017, 12:13 PM
Here are the Campagnolo instructions for wheel bearing adjustment:

https://www.campagnolo.com/media/files/035_68_Technical%20manual_wheels_adjustment_hub%20 Campagnolo_12-12.pdf

Well interesting, they don't clamp the wheel.

Ralph
06-23-2017, 12:59 PM
Well interesting, they don't clamp the wheel.

I have two sets of those wheels. Don't believe tightening the skewers loads the bearings. You can do it in or out of bike.

moobikes
06-23-2017, 01:09 PM
The front hub is easier. Preload adjustment done with the wheel out of the frame is fine and doesn't seem to change with QR pressure.

The rear hub is another matter. The preload will change slightly when you close the quick release. The final adjustment has to account for the QR.

Grease: I like Dura Ace grease.