PDA

View Full Version : Tour de France

CPP
06-22-2017, 12:29 PM
Froome without Poels????

Good luck mate !

vqdriver
06-22-2017, 03:17 PM
i liked the old nbc broadcasts where they would distill the stage into a one hour or hour and a half broadcast. iirc the final stage and weekends were full stage replays, but the weekday edited broadcasts were great for avoiding the tv for 5-6 hours at a stretch hoping i didn't miss something.

is there a service or app, where i can stream stage recaps? at the very least, full stage replays would be great. i'm happy to pay for the service just so long as its reliable and preferably in english.

MattTuck
06-22-2017, 03:22 PM
Eurosport player has the live stages, also offers replays of the full stage and shorter (usually 1-1.5 hrs) highlights. For some stages, 10 minutes of highlights would be enough, frankly.

vqdriver
06-22-2017, 03:32 PM
hrm. a US version? not really interested in workarounds, i'd rather just pay and have it work well. i had paid for the nbc sports gold (or something like that) in the past to replay tour of cali stages. at the time they didn't include the tdf tho.

ultraman6970
06-22-2017, 07:15 PM
Hmm... giro winner is not in the roster yet.

colbyh
06-22-2017, 11:55 PM
Hmm... giro winner is not in the roster yet.

said he wasn't riding the tour this year even before the giro win. might ride vuelta but not certain.

ultraman6970
06-22-2017, 11:59 PM
That sucks :(I was seeing this two (his team and bmc) working together...

chiasticon
06-23-2017, 07:39 AM
Froome without Poels????

Good luck mate !Wout Poels is indeed a beast, but he's coming back from injury so I'm sure they've made a determination that someone else is stronger at the moment.

I like that guy, just because his name is a combination of the names of the top two cyclocross superstars: Wout Van Aert and Mathieu Van der Poel :p

CPP
06-23-2017, 07:51 AM
A beast and so reliable when the road goes up! I think he will be missed

oldpotatoe
06-23-2017, 07:55 AM
i liked the old nbc broadcasts where they would distill the stage into a one hour or hour and a half broadcast. iirc the final stage and weekends were full stage replays, but the weekday edited broadcasts were great for avoiding the tv for 5-6 hours at a stretch hoping i didn't miss something.

is there a service or app, where i can stream stage recaps? at the very least, full stage replays would be great. i'm happy to pay for the service just so long as its reliable and preferably in english.

TIZ cycling has semi-live broadcast and then he puts the stage on you tube.

http://tiz-cycling.racing/stream/

vqdriver
06-23-2017, 11:52 AM
i see that nbc sports gold has the tdf in addition to a bunch of others, including cali. pretty much all i need for the year so i just renewed. the app itself worked fine for me in the past.

heads up. the very last page of the payment confirmation, there's a check box to 'automatically renew at the end of the year'. it's small and at the bottom.
you'll want to clear that unless you want it.

MattTuck
06-23-2017, 11:59 AM
Yeah, the Eurosport player requires a VPN to access it from the US.

Not sure if that is a 'work around', but it is a minor inconvenience and added cost. The NBC commentary is painful to listen to, so I consider it money well spent.

vqdriver
06-23-2017, 12:27 PM
yeah, i've done the hunt-down-free-streams thing (for cycling and otherwise) but it got tedious. if available, i'm happy to just pay for it.
re the commentators, i hear that a lot with the cycling stuff, but it never really bothered me. maybe because i don't follow pro cycling otherwise, so it's all news to me. don't really know what i'd be saying for 5 hours everyday myself tbh

chengher87
06-23-2017, 12:51 PM
I miss the old CBS broadcasts where they would show a large chunk of the stage with less commercials AND put in a really well edited recap episode around an hour.

chiasticon
06-23-2017, 12:52 PM
re the commentators, i hear that a lot with the cycling stuff, but it never really bothered me. maybe because i don't follow pro cycling otherwise, so it's all news to me. don't really know what i'd be saying for 5 hours everyday myself tbhto be fair, the other sport I watch on NBC, hockey, has god-awful commentating as well.

but you make a great point. it's gotta be painful for them trying to find a way to fill 5 hours with talking. personally, I can't even watch 5 hours of a stage, so maybe if I were commentating it would keep me awake?!? I'm OK with watching the exciting bits or an hour highlight reel but 5 hours is just too much. and I gotta ride some time!

Elefantino
06-23-2017, 12:53 PM
Yeah, the Eurosport player requires a VPN to access it from the US.

Not sure if that is a 'work around', but it is a minor inconvenience and added cost. The NBC commentary is painful to listen to, so I consider it money well spent.
Me too. Eurosport+VPN and none of the old Muppets in the balcony.

jlwdm
06-23-2017, 04:08 PM
If you like some of the other channels you can always get a month of Sling TV. One of the packages includes NBCSN.

Or you can do a one week free trial on Sling TV and then a one week trial on directv now, and probably a few others.

Jeff