PDA

View Full Version : squeak...squeak...squeak....

Ozz
08-28-2006, 01:06 PM
so I cleaned lubed my chain this past Saturday...it was long overdue. On my ride Sunday morning, I kept hearing a squeak...like I forgot to lube the chain. I checked it out when I got home...nope, plenty of lube (telltale black goo of using too much Dumonde Tech).

I am thinking it must be the derailleur pulleys. Any tips for maintenance on these? How are you supposed to lube them?

:confused:

Thanks.

sspielman
08-28-2006, 01:23 PM
What brand and model of pulleys?

Ozz
08-28-2006, 01:29 PM
sorry...campy record...'06

Kevan
08-28-2006, 01:31 PM
have oil dispensers with needle like injector. Poi-fect for those little squeakers. Typically you can leave the pulleys in place and give'm a squirt near where they are bolted to the cage.

dirtdigger88
08-28-2006, 01:31 PM
sorry...campy record...'06

change to dura ace-

problem solved ;)

Jason

Marcusaurelius
08-28-2006, 01:40 PM
so I cleaned lubed my chaine this past Saturday...it was long overdue. On my ride Sunday morning, I kept hearing a squeak...like I forgot to lube the chain. I checked it out when I got home...nope, plenty of lube (telltale black goo of using too much Dumonde Tech).

I am thinking it must be the dereailleur pulleys. Any tips for maintenance on these? How are you supposed to lube them?

:confused:

Thanks.

Campagnolo website have pdf files on most maintenance topics. I would just remove them with an allen wrench and put a thin film of grease on them. You could put locktite on the screws as well.

Bradford
08-28-2006, 03:35 PM
Campagnolo website have pdf files on most maintenance topics. I would just remove them with an allen wrench and put a thin film of grease on them. You could put locktite on the screws as well.

Yes on the clean and re-lube and a big yes on the loctite. I once lost the screw on my pully and the pieces spun off in different directions.

I spent an hour looking for all the little pieces so I coulc ride home. It is not pretty when your pully comes apart.

stevep
08-28-2006, 03:42 PM
tell the wife..."time for a new bike...they dont last forever you know..".
try that one...
see what happens

Ozz
08-28-2006, 03:43 PM
change to dura ace-

problem solved ;)

Jason
yeah, but then I would have, you know, dura-ace. I think I'd rather have a squeak...or a big "Dork" sticker on my bike. I have enough problems with image. :cool:

To the rest of you, thanks for the USEFUL tips!

dave thompson
08-28-2006, 04:18 PM
yeah, but then I would have, you know, dura-ace. I think I'd rather have a squeak...or a big "Dork" sticker on my bike. I have enough problems with image. :cool:

Ozz: For you! :D

tbushnel
08-28-2006, 07:32 PM

LOL. :)

ericspin
08-29-2006, 07:36 AM
I had this same problem once. Turned out I had been too agressive with my cleaning over a period of time and was inadvertently "degreasing" the lube in my rear hub (race X lites). Serviced the rear hub and all was well. BTW, it sounded like the pulley wheels but it was not.

Ozz
08-29-2006, 07:43 AM
I had this same problem once. Turned out I had been too agressive with my cleaning over a period of time and was inadvertently "degreasing" the lube in my rear hub (race X lites). Serviced the rear hub and all was well. BTW, it sounded like the pulley wheels but it was not.
I had the same thought, so I took advantage of the grease ports on the wheels...squeak was still there, but the ratchets in the hub are now much quieter.

Onno
08-29-2006, 08:25 AM
So how thoroughly did you clean the chain? I had the same problem a few months ago--I took the derailleur apart, lubed everything, and the squeak remained. It turned out that I had so cleaned the chain so completely that the lube I put on it afterwards simply hadn't penetrated all the links. Carefully and thoroughly relubing the chain did the trick.

Onno