PDA

View Full Version : Slight bend in forged aluminum...

jimbolina
06-20-2017, 10:44 PM
I have an older Campagnolo (aero) set of brake levers that are installed on an old, but beautiful, bike of mine. The bike fell over today on a concrete floor and after some inspection I noted the top portion of one of the lever housings that took the fall was ever so slightly bent. Tweaked may be a more accurate description. Apparently that particular point took the brunt of the fall.

I saw the slight bend because I compared the split gap on that upper portion (or hood area) of the lever assembly to the other lever (that did not make contact with the floor). That gap was ever so slightly, slightly closed on the offended lever.

The tweak is honestly, actually hardly noticeable at all, but, I noticed it. Anyway, I believe these brake components are indeed forged (at least the levers themselves) and I was just wondering if a tiny, slight tweak to an aluminum part such as this does any real damage other than cosmetic? Yes, a first-world problem, but I'm curious and compelled to ask, nonetheless...

Any thoughts guys?

bicycletricycle
06-20-2017, 10:53 PM
The lever blade is stamped, the lever body (part with hood on it, may be using wrong word) is cast. Well, the ones I have broken or seen broken look like cast to me.

jimbolina
06-20-2017, 11:19 PM
Is that hood area I described, an issue since it's cast? Or is the offense so slight, it's a non-issue? Color me a worry-wart...!

Cicli
06-21-2017, 03:50 AM
Is that hood area I described, an issue since it's cast? Or is the offense so slight, it's a non-issue? Color me a worry-wart...!

If the lever still works, leave it. Especially if its cast. Cast aluminum alloys do not like to bend, if you try to bend it back, it will snap. Hell, it may snap anyway.

bicycletricycle
06-21-2017, 03:55 AM
do not try to bend cast components

Peter P.
06-21-2017, 04:26 AM
It's not a load-bearing part of the bike so it won't see any stresses which will lead to failure. I wouldn't worry about it.