PDA

View Full Version : Adding shift lever to 1x Sram hydraulic brake lever

jbreebs
06-20-2017, 09:39 AM
I recently purchased Sram Apex hydraulic shift levers (thanks eBAUMANN), and while I like the 1x11 a lot, I feel like I'm missing a bit on the high end and could use lower gears for some of the gravel climbs here in Nebraska (surprisingly steep, on occasion). I'm currently running a 38t narrow/wide chainring, with 11-42t cassette in the back. I have an XT crank, so I could add a granny gear chainring for when things get rough, and swap to a larger (~42t) big ring, to give me a bit more on the high end for flats/downhill.

This brings up the question: does anyone here know if I can insert a shifter assembly to the 1x (left) lever to make it 2x? I assume the lever is essentially just a gutted 2x lever, as it feels like there's a hollow spot under the brake lever, and there are matching slots for cable routing on the plastic hood body. If this is actually possible, does anyone know if the shift lever is available by itself, or would I need to find a donor 2x shifter? Are the shift levers interchangeable between all of the sram 11 sp. doubletap systems, or are there hydraulic specific shift levers? I haven't been able to find much via google, which suggests I might be better off sucking it up and staying at 1x11, or spending the cash for a new (used) 2x ready hydro disc lever and simply swap it out, rather than re-build the existing levers.
Thanks!

ColonelJLloyd
06-20-2017, 09:56 AM
Edit: Nevermind. You're using drop bar levers.

Andy sti
06-20-2017, 10:18 AM
I've seen it done by Skunkworks Bikes out of Austrialia on their Instagram posts. I would guess others have done it too. You can obviously buy a new lever/shifter.

I've thought about going old school and using a front bar end shifter - no reason that won't work. Love 1x for my cross races but don't really like it for road/gravel.

ColonelJLloyd
06-20-2017, 10:23 AM
I've thought about going old school and using a front bar end shifter - no reason that won't work. Love 1x for my cross races but don't really like it for road/gravel.

That would be cheaper, easier, less finicky and more reliable than replacing or modifying the lever. Add any old friction bar end and get 42/28 rings for the XT with a matching FD and you'd be set.