PDA

View Full Version : Hed 11 spd upgrade

frank_h
06-19-2017, 10:20 PM
Has anyone upgraded their oct hed hubs to 11spd?

I got the kit but it seems that I can't get the axle through the new freehub body because of a fixed spacer on the axle.

Is there something I'm missing in terms of fitting the new body on?

https://i.imgur.com/GdGubMJ_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=high

https://i.imgur.com/HNRa84X_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=high

batman1425
06-19-2017, 10:41 PM
Not 100% sure but I'm not convinced that your hubs can be converted to 11s. Hed has an infographic on their website that shows which hub models are convertible and the kit needed based on which hub you have. Based on the design of your shell, I suspect that yours was built before 2008. If so, you are unfortunately stuck with 8/9/10s shimano on those wheels.

frank_h
06-19-2017, 10:46 PM
Not 100% sure but I'm not convinced that your hubs can be converted to 11s. Hed has an infographic on their website that shows which hub models are convertible and the kit needed based on which hub you have. Based on the design of your shell, I suspect that yours was built before 2008. If so, you are unfortunately stuck with 8/9/10s shimano on those wheels.

Ah...

I thought I was the second one in from left.

stien
06-20-2017, 06:12 AM
If the FHB doesn't fit, bring your old one to a machinist or get out the file. I've done a few HED 10->11s conversions that way. Works perfectly.

AngryScientist
06-20-2017, 06:18 AM
i have what appears to be that exact same hub with the 11 speed freehub mounted. i bought mine that way though.

edit: i'm pretty sure that conversion kit should work.

batman1425
06-20-2017, 06:40 AM
i have what appears to be that exact same hub with the 11 speed freehub mounted. i bought mine that way though.

edit: i'm pretty sure that conversion kit should work.

Interesting... The OP's hub is one of the early Sonic Hubs which is close to the cutoff of what is officially "upgradable" by Hed's standards. I thought that all the Sonic Hubs were upgradable, though this shell isn't among the ones pictured on their compatibility chart which is what lead me to believe that it may not be.

When in doubt - snap a quick picture and email Hed. Great customer service from those guys. They'll let you know in short order what the deal is.

If you do get it sorted, you'll also need to re-dish.

frank_h
06-20-2017, 07:24 AM
Thanks all!
I had sent an email through to HED and will post back when I hear from them.

If the FHB doesn't fit, bring your old one to a machinist or get out the file. I've done a few HED 10->11s conversions that way. Works perfectly.

Are you filing down that external ring on the axle, or something on the old FHB?

frank_h
06-20-2017, 09:36 AM
Got a reply from HED: Your hub is not convertible, because the 11 body will not work with the axle.

So verified that I am not good at playing `match object to picture`...

stien
06-20-2017, 10:19 AM
Are you filing down that external ring on the axle, or something on the old FHB?

Material off the freehub "shelf", the part that's silver. Think about making the available cassette area a little wider from drive-side of the bike to the center.

You might consider getting a Campy freehub so you can run C11 cassettes if you aren't comfortable filing or machining the freehub body.