PDA

View Full Version : Who do you sell to? When do you say no?

PNW
06-19-2017, 01:05 PM
I know I am new to this community but have really enjoyed being part of it and learning from others. I've already had the opportunity to meet someone on here and learn more about my bike which is priceless to me.

I have sold stuff on here and everyone has been a pleasure to deal with. I have noticed that multiple times "members" have messaged me directly about items that I am selling with a post count of 0, 1, 10, 6...etc.

When do you say no? Am I wrong for saying no? Just trying to get a feel for what members who have been here much longer think.

Hombre
06-19-2017, 01:10 PM
As someone on the buying end... When I was new to the forum I felt like buyers didn't trust me due to my low post count when I messaged them directly.

Luckily, the sellers didn't get back to me until I had already been granted access to reply to classifieds .

R3awak3n
06-19-2017, 01:13 PM
I have sold to to members with little to no posts. I keep it to under $50 but recently sold an enve post to a member with almost no posts and was a good experience. I chatted up a bit with them, get a feel for the person and decided to brake my rule for him. I would not do it with a big ticket item.

Remember, we were all once newbies here. I never had a problem in the forum. Everytime there was a mistake by the seller, the seller always makes it right. Sometimes gives me the item for free (I have done this before when I messed up or genuinely did not know x part was missing or something along those lines). Just do what it feels right.

Hilltopperny
06-19-2017, 01:20 PM
I've never had a problem with selling to low post counts as long as they were members for a while. I have had people flake out that just joined to inquire about items for sale.

I say trust your gut and make sure you are paid. If you have made a deal and are comfortable with making the transaction then go for it.

Clean39T
06-19-2017, 01:25 PM
brake my rule for him.

It's okay to brake rules, just not in a corner.. :banana:

julseas
06-19-2017, 01:27 PM
I have very few posts, but joined a few years ago when I don't believe the posting requirements were in place. I purchased a Look 585 here, and various groups -- was glad to be trusted. Love and still ride these bikes. (okay, cracked the Look frame, but...)

RC.
06-19-2017, 01:33 PM
I bought an Eriksen frame and fork from a dude on here and I only had like 10 posts...at that, if I remember correctly. There was a lot of messaging back and forth before the transaction though.

It was probably a risky deal for both of us considering the amount of money being PAYPAL'd but definitely more so for him.

R3awak3n
06-19-2017, 02:23 PM

lol, my foreignness still comes out sometimes. :beer:

PNW
06-19-2017, 02:24 PM

LOL. You crack me up. Thanks for your guys input! Like I said, I have always had good transactions but probably wouldn't sell high ticket items to brand new or very very low post members.

firemanj92
06-19-2017, 03:07 PM
I had a low post count even though I was a member for several years and had done business with several members on here. As I generally don't post much on forums (and rather be out on the trails). I think this forum requires a larger number to even reply/post in classifieds. There were some members that never replied back so we both lost out-it's really too bad. It's about communication and trust. I think most members are pretty honest here.

-J

ultraman6970
06-19-2017, 03:11 PM
If somebody with low count wants to buy I do not consider that a problem because is their risk as a buyer that they wont wet scammed, eventhought there are risks all the time so always try to send the stuff with a confirmation number so at least you can say it was delivered...

The real danger is when a guy with low postings wants to sell here... thats the reason of the rule...

mjf
06-19-2017, 03:48 PM
I bought a handful of items on here prior to hitting my post count. I'm lucky that I have a few locals who are good friends on here that would vouch for me if I need (and also kick my ass if something came up on my end).

I haven't sold anything on paceline, but plenty on CL, some on facebook groups.

You need to get a good feel for the person; the best people to deal with are those doing the research on their end. They know what they're getting and you're leaving as little room for miscommunication as possible.

Story time:

Hagglers

A year or two ago I was selling a complete Crux that I had few a few months. Bought it off a facebook group, and it turned out to be a little big for me. Paid $550 shipped, and was selling it for the same locally.

Threw it up on craigslist, and had a few replies over the course of a week. Had a few halfhearted replies without any commitment. One guy however was adamant about buying the bike and contacted me a few times.

I was willing to break up the bike into a frameset/components rig just to get it out the door. Told me he was an older guy just planning on riding it around town and commuting on it, and that's when the fun started.

The man didn't seem deterred by the fact that I tried to make it clear to him that the Crux was a CX racing bike, and that it may not be suited as a commuter/townie bike. He began to inquire about the weights of the frame/fork/wheels, etc. In trying to give a rough estimate to him on weight, the man decided that my price was too high and that his now lower offer of $325 was adequate for the frameset/components, and that he could throw in another $50 for the wheels.

He continued to ask other questions about the bike that could have been easily solved with a quick google search, and it was frustrating to deal with. The vibe that I was getting was that he was the type of person to buy something on CL with little research, decide he didn't like it a couple days later and try to return it to the seller.

At that point I told him that I would not sell him the bike under any circumstances. It wasn't worth the effort to answer the barrage of questions that he was sending my way because he couldn't be bothered to find the information himself.

I received a few more agitated replies from him, telling me that he would pay my original asking price for the complete bike. I blocked his number.

Another person emailed me on CL, asked one or two questions to confirm the details, took a test ride, gave me my asking price, and rode the bike home.

MerckxMad
06-19-2017, 03:56 PM
As a seller, I've responded to more than 25 posts from prospective buyers in connection with a garage sale post here. All of the back and forth messages about measurements, tube thickness, welding, and photos resulted in zero sales. Across the hall, I posted an ad, responded to one question, received payment and shipped a bike in 24 hours. Go figure.

Clean39T
06-19-2017, 04:11 PM
lol, my foreignness still comes out sometimes. :beer:

Fully kidding. Spellcheck gets us all :D

Clean39T
06-19-2017, 04:12 PM
As a seller, I've responded to more than 25 posts from prospective buyers in connection with a garage sale post here. All of the back and forth messages about measurements, tube thickness, welding, and photos resulted in zero sales. Across the hall, I posted an ad, responded to one question, received payment and shipped a bike in 24 hours. Go figure.

"Across the Hall" = Velocipede Salon?

d_douglas
06-19-2017, 04:15 PM
I don't see the point in refusing a sale to someone. I mean, are we really covered against fraud by associating as part of this forum? If a sale goes wrong, we are all equally and individually on the hook for the transaction anyways.

Of course, if I screw up, I ruin my reputation to buy/sell here and if I am the buyer, I can 'out' a bad seller to curtail his/her opportunities to mess with anyone else.

in the end, it all seems very civilized. I admit that I like selling/buying with those whose names I recognize, but its not a big deal really.

Most transactions go flawlessly and the odd time one goes awry. To my recollection, Ive had only a couple where the buyer didn't agree with my description, but hundreds (many hundreds?!?!?) where the item received was like new and/or the buyer said my part was in better condition than expected. I was disappointed with the condition of a set of wheels I bought here, but based on the price (very good) and the function (very good) I took a step back and just used them for what they were - MTB wheels!

It's a bit of a leap to sell and buy online, but not a big one.

beeatnik
06-19-2017, 04:59 PM
Never sell to anyone who can show good faith in purchasing your item, ie, an ability to transfer cash money to you (USD, FRNs, Euros, etc).

Give your s*h*i*t*e away, instead.

tourmalet
06-19-2017, 05:33 PM
As a very new user I am very thankful to the sellers that have trusted me.

And I can't even thank them in the feedback thread because my post count is too low!

makoti
06-19-2017, 05:33 PM
"Across the Hall" = Velocipede Salon?

Yep

Ken Robb
06-19-2017, 06:09 PM
I have been disappointed a few times when I have responded to a WTB post and never got a response from the person who "Wanted to Buy". If they didn't like my offering or my price they could say so, right?

Clean39T
06-19-2017, 06:31 PM
Yep

Is there some sort of Westside Story rivalry? Or just different peeps doing their things?

(Not trolling - so PM if this is a hot-button)

thwart
06-19-2017, 06:46 PM

This could fairly be described as the 'Wild West' compared to VelocipedeSalon's classifieds. By comparison lots more participants, the vast majority of whom are good folks.

However... there are a distinct minority who are less than gracious and considerate in terms of the back and forth of PM's. Most are relatively new and/or come here only to score a good deal on bike gear. Maybe to flip.

You know who you are.

:bike:

zmudshark
06-19-2017, 06:59 PM
This could fairly be described as the 'Wild West' compared to VelocipedeSalon's classifieds. By comparison lots more participants, the vast majority of whom are good folks.

However... there are a distinct minority who are less than gracious and considerate in terms of the back and forth of PM's. Most are relatively new and/or come here only to score a good deal on bike gear. Maybe to flip.

You know who you are.

:bike:
@thwart is almost always spot on.

I would only add that I was here during the Great Schism, and settled here rather than across the hall, probably because I'm not all that 'in the know'.

Good peeps here, and as far as selling stuff, I look at the join date rather than post count.

PNW
06-19-2017, 07:02 PM
I just found this place when searching on google for a question I had about Campy groups! Oldpotatoe's answer helped me pick a groupset so I figured I'd give it a shot and join.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

msl819
06-19-2017, 07:17 PM
The only difference post count or join date would make to me would be if there were two interested parties and one was new and one was well established. I would show preference to the established member in that case. Otherwise if you send payment, I'll send you the part. Very seldom does a purchase not involve enough conversation to be comfortable or not with the other party. I'll do business here before eBay and CL all day. And unless there is much value in the part I usually look to give it away or sell on the cheap local as well. We have all benefitted from a buddy deal or give away. Cycling isn't cheap, every break helps. It's a give and take.

msl819
06-19-2017, 07:19 PM
I just found this place when searching on google for a question I had about Campy groups! Oldpotatoe's answer helped me pick a groupset so I figured I'd give it a shot and join.

I found this place on a google search too, looking for info on a Serotta I still own. That was close to a decade ago. I have since learned a lot about a lot of things and spent my fair share of $$ along the way. And sold some stuff too.

makoti
06-19-2017, 07:30 PM
Is there some sort of Westside Story rivalry? Or just different peeps doing their things?

(Not trolling - so PM if this is a hot-button)

No, many people here are there as well. Just has a different vibe to it. Moderated differently. Bought my bike over there, from the builder who is active on the forum. He is here as well, but the builders tend to hang out there more.

saab2000
06-19-2017, 07:36 PM
I've bought from and sold to low post count members. You can usually tell if they're legit in one or two PMs. Low post counts usually means the other member has a life, unlike high post counters like myself!

There's only one situation that got me hot, and that was after I had more or less closed a sale a buyer asked me what else I was throwing in for free. Huh? :crap:

The deal was for the item in question. No more and no less. And everything I've bought and sold is generally a 'bro deal' anyway here on these forums.

99% of folks here and ATH are good people who want to buy or sell without drama. Don't make this more complicated than it needs to be.

beeatnik
06-19-2017, 08:10 PM

The internet is so weird.

Clean39T
06-19-2017, 08:13 PM

Pretty much same here - and since joining I've found it to be one of the few sane places on the internet..

I've enjoyed engaging here, learning from the wise ones, buying stuff, trying stuff, selling stuff (hopefully at good prices), and pumping out the PSA's when I find em :)

I'm a "golden rule" kind of guy when selling and so far have only had one or two minor brushes with less than accurate descriptions - and none of them were sour enough to warrant throwing a fit over.

To the OP point, I only look at post count when I don't recognize the buyer/seller. If you're up in the hundreds or more of posts, and you use polite communication, chances are you aren't out to scam anyone. All my big-ticket purchases so far have been great and went well because lots of questions were asked...

Cheers to my peers.

pbarry
06-19-2017, 08:24 PM
I've had a few transactions with newbies for frames or bikes over $500. All went well. In those instances, I always ask for a quick phone conversation before we complete the deal. No one has refused, and things went smoothly.

When I was new here, I purchased a wheelset from a very senior member. It was described as Mint condition, though it was not even close. With a gentle PM, I queried about the condition described vs. received and the answer was, "That's how I got them". So, I steer clear of that guys sales..

Caveat Emptor and all that. As said above, go with your gut.