PDA

View Full Version : What would you upgrade???

Dave B
08-28-2006, 08:25 AM
Was thinking about my desire for new wheels, but have all but talked myself out of it for one reaosn or another. Mostly because of the person I live with called wife! :)

So i was trying (with very little luck) to explain my "need" for new wheels and I got to thinking that many of you probably have one or two things you might like to try out or switch on your bike. So I want to know what you would "upgrade" or simply just change about your bike(s).

Me...besides wheels of course, I wish I was comfortable on Campy hoods. I like my shimano stuff just fine, but I love the way campy shifts and looks. If I were more comfortable with the hoods I would only ever use that stuff!
I wish shimano and campy would work beter together, but I can understand why they do not.

Now you!!!!

CNY rider
08-28-2006, 08:51 AM
El Presidente, you certainly have the most severe case of "upgrade-itis" I've seen in a long time. I"ll play along although what I want will probably bore you to tears.

My Legend and my Lyon commuter have old style 30/42/52 Ultegra triples on them. My Parlee has the newer 30/39/53 triple and I definitely like that 39 middle ring better than the 42. I suppose I could buy some new, really bling crankset for the Legend (and that may still happen) but most likely I"m just going to replace the 42 with a 39 on the Legend.

Not so exciting huh?

In the much more exciting department I am dangerously close to the top of Mike Barry's build list and ....you know, well, fuhgeddaboutit.......... ;)

Birddog
08-28-2006, 09:16 AM
So I want to know what you would "upgrade" or simply just change about your bike(s).

The motor!!!!! Probably a Testo patch and some HGH would do the trick, and toss in a little dose of EPO for added insurance. The old rules are still in force; it's 95% rider, 5% bike.

Birddog

Dave B
08-28-2006, 09:26 AM
The motor!!!!! Probably a Testo patch and some HGH would do the trick, and toss in a little dose of EPO for added insurance. The old rules are still in force; it's 95% rider, 5% bike.

Birddog

Well....I hadn't thought of that, but hey whatever floats your boat. Why not some meth as a chaser so you will have energy for a long time! :)

Tailwinds
08-28-2006, 09:27 AM
I have some round, silver Cinelli bars that I want to try on my Kirk, along w/some leather bar wrap (both of them from a very kind forumite). I just need to take the time to install them.

New wheels are always fun.

Not an upgrade BUT -- another Kirk in a different color, maybe with fillet brazing or different lugs, in a different color (pearl white?) would be fun just for S&G.

Fat Robert
08-28-2006, 09:29 AM
man

i'd love a set of cosmic carbones

maybe next year

Birddog
08-28-2006, 09:32 AM
All kidding aside, the motor is the most important and best upgrade that you can make. Motor first, frame and fork second, wheels third. The problem is that we have become ultimate consumers and you just can't buy a new or improved motor that easily whereas you can purchase the other stuff. Nothing wrong with it, it usually makes us feel a little better and it's good for the economy, although it's arguable that improving the motor would make us feel better too.

Birddog

Dave B
08-28-2006, 09:33 AM
man

maybe next year

You are speaking my language!!!!!!! :beer:

I love the way those look! The tubulars in the excel sports magazine have drool marks al over them.....ooopps TMI!

CNY rider
08-28-2006, 09:37 AM
You are speaking my language!!!!!!! :beer:

I love the way those look! The tubulars in the excel sports magazine have drool marks al over them.....ooopps TMI!

Yep ,we'll just take your word for it that that is indeed drool. No need to elaborate.

Tailwinds
08-28-2006, 09:56 AM
All kidding aside, the motor is the most important and best upgrade that you can make. Motor first, frame and fork second, wheels third. The problem is that we have become ultimate consumers and you just can't buy a new or improved motor that easily whereas you can purchase the other stuff. Nothing wrong with it, it usually makes us feel a little better and it's good for the economy, although it's arguable that improving the motor would make us feel better too.

Birddog

I agree! But round bars, leather tape, another set of wheels, another Kirk would all be fun to play with... THAT is important! :p

Dave B
08-28-2006, 09:57 AM
Yep ,we'll just take your word for it that that is indeed drool. No need to elaborate.

:)

swoop
08-28-2006, 10:44 AM
by the sounds of it.. the most sensible upgrade is replace the wife. you are a grown man... what's it to her what you buy.. and why do you need to explain it to her? as if she'll understand...you aren't ten and she isn't your mommy.
put a profile up on match.com and ask her to choose for you whether to upgrade some wheels or her.
i'm sure that you have the cognitive ability to decide how to spend your money.

Dave B
08-28-2006, 11:06 AM
That's great advice why didn't I think of that.

Oh wait, that's right I am not a prick.

Birddog
08-28-2006, 11:06 AM
Brutal Swoop, just plain brutal!

Birddog

Grant McLean
08-28-2006, 11:19 AM
man

maybe next year

the new one's in clincher aren't so ugly anymore, with the white decals.

Those carbon spoke wheels.....yummy.

g

swoop
08-28-2006, 11:25 AM
That's great advice why didn't I think of that.

Oh wait, that's right I am not a prick.

you may not be one.. but it sounds like your spouse is....
you are a grown-up. i'm sure you can make adult decisions.. even one's that impact the family finances. i'm sure you had the good judgement to marry this fine woman and you still have the judgemnt to decide what you like, what you can spend, and whether or not it's appropriate. but by the time you're spouse has to undersatnd and approve the whole shebang... well.. yikes.

figure out your little budget, pick out the shiny baubbles you like, and get it, unless you come to realize that it isn't the right time financially.

trust me, not only am i trying to help you get what you wan't, i'm also helping detangle some stuff that will improve your marriage.

and yeah.. i used humor to make a point.. but the point is the same either way.

enjoy.

Dave B
08-28-2006, 11:33 AM
you are a grown-up. i'm sure you can make adult decisions.. even one's that impact the family finances. i'm sure you had the good judgement to marry this fine woman and you still have the judgemnt to decide what you like, what you can spend, and whether or not it's appropriate. but by the time you're spouse has to undersatnd and approve the whole shebang... well.. yikes.

figure out your little budget, pick out the shiny baubbles you like, and get it, unless you come to realize that it isn't the right time financially.

trust me, not only am i trying to help you get what you wan't, i'm also helping detangle some stuff that will improve your marriage.

enjoy.

Fair enough, my apologies then.

Dave B
08-28-2006, 11:35 AM
the new one's in clincher aren't so ugly anymore, with the white decals.

Those carbon spoke wheels.....yummy.

g

Are these even out yet for consumers?

I went to the Mavic website and they seem to be a bit behind updating.

Where did you find those, they are wicked slick

Archibald
08-28-2006, 11:54 AM

enjoy.
I'm with you. I don't get the whole "I have to ask for permission" deal either, at least where it concerns minor purchases and everything related to bikes is a minor purchase. Cars, houses, stuff that costs tens of thousands of dollars requires a meeting of the minds and consensus, but parts for your bike? If you're short on cash and have a family, yeah, buying expensive bike stuff is probably not the best use of your money, perhaps even irresponsible, but you already KNOW that and can decide accordingly.

We should have a poll. Who questions their wife's purchases and who's wife questions their purchases? I wonder if this is just one of those things that you let go of as you get older? My wife works hard, she could drive home in a new car filled with piles of new stuff and I wouldn't bat an eye. She's grown up and knows what she's doing and I trust her. She has never indicated that she doesn't feel the same way about me.

OK, I've thought about this some more. Honestly, I'd rather she consult with me on the car first so she gets something that won't be a total POS, maybe something like an Infiniti G35 with an APS twin turbo kit.....

Tailwinds
08-28-2006, 12:06 PM
We should have a poll. Who questions their wife's purchases and who's wife questions their purchases?

Good idea! Except it should be "who's spouse..." I do not have a wife. ;)

swoop
08-28-2006, 12:15 PM
i ask my girlfriend and then my favorite 'dancer' down at the club. if they concur.. it's redundant to ask the wife.
*note: i am happily single.

Frankwurst
08-28-2006, 06:46 PM
i ask my girlfriend and then my favorite 'dancer' down at the club. if they concur.. it's redundant to ask the wife.

I don't ask anybody. If my wife is going to leave me or get pushed outta shape over my hobby so be it. I'll head to the basement, build myself a big drink,crank up the tunes,work on my bike and let her be upset because I damm sure won't be. :beer: